Low PH levels

dkrthunder

I tested the runoff after watering my plants and it shows up as being low, under 6.0. I worked some bone meal into the soil, I been using MG, it still shows up low. Whats a good thing to use to raise PH?

you can get ph up and ph down usually together for less than 20 bucks. If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, baking soda will raise pH and lemon juice will lower it. When you say under 6.0, what is the pH exactly? anything from 5.8-6.8 is generally acceptable. I'm seeing 5.8-6.3 seems to be the norm for hydro, but since you're in soil, I've seen good results from 5.8-6.8.

If you do use baking soda and/or lemon juice, be careful as I noticed the lemon juice lowers the pH drastically, so be sparing with it. You don't want to have to balance it out by adding more and more of either ingredient.

Dolomitic lime. NOT hydrated lime, you will toast them.

Dolomitic lime is best mixed into the soil, but you can also mix with water and apply that way.

DD

Can I use my aquarium ph adjusters to adjust the water before I water them? I used the aquarium stuff to check ph and I say below 6 because 6 is as low as the color chart goes and the result ended up being even darker yellow than the chart. Im new at this and as I learn more I will be getting me some things like a electronic ph meter.

As far as the lime goes.....I have some organic traditions garden lime from home depot, says its safer than hydrated lime. Its pellet form, can I mix this in soil?

As far as the lime goes.....I have some organic traditions garden lime from home depot, says its safer than hydrated lime. Its pellet form, can I mix this in soil?

Yes.

Get your pH meter. Till you do, you are basicly pissing in the wind.

Also, check out HD for dolomitic lime. That's where I got mine. 40 lb bag is ~$10. Very small bag for the weight as it is ground up limestone about the consistancy of cement. This is a slow release and the pellet form might even be slower.

DD

Thanks for the info DD. Do you have any suggestions on what type ph meter? What about the millwalkee meters on ebay? I would like a Hanna but cant see spending over $100 bucks. I been growing outdoors for a couple years now-just plant and grow-been getting me by until this past year, very low yield.

I have the Milwaukee SM-101 (I think), I'm 800 miles from my stuff at the moment.

Anyway, it was like $75 on ebay and about another $25 for all the different solutions you need, so right at $100 for everything.

Check out eSeasongear, or eseasonsgear. They have everything and the best prices and are a major seller on ebay. Just do a search for Milwaukee testers and they will pop up.

Just make sure you get the calibration solutions and the storage and cleaning solutions. The little packets that come with the meter are good for one use only and I calibrate mine every month minimum. Get the stuff in the 250ml size bottles and be done with it as they will last for years.

DD

Back
Top Bottom