LST thoughts

Marthajeep

420 Member
Hey 420 folks! It’s been over a decade since I’ve grown last and times have changed to say the least. So it’s time to grow! So I have two plants growing both around 3 weeks from germ. My setup is a 1,000w led 30” above with dimmers, my temp stays around 77 and humidity right about 50. No nutes. I’m growing RQS gorilla auto and Autoseeds dreamberry (trifoliate) both of which are just bellow 3.5 inches currently at day 20. Last night I started lst with no problems, but this is my question, I understand the point behind lst is to provide more light to the under sites, but my plants are so short and bushy that even after tying down I’m not really getting much more light to lower nodes. So is the fact that the top is being held down going to allow for the lower nodes to grow through the leaves even though they aren’t really getting much more light? I’ll include a pic of each (gorilla, gorilla side, dreamberry), post lst. Advice is much appreciated!

Attachments

• 42A285B8-BEEE-4F60-9A52-1089E5AABE74.jpeg
    42A285B8-BEEE-4F60-9A52-1089E5AABE74.jpeg
    1,003.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 9756C94A-FAFE-4550-9CA0-DE1083958E2F.jpeg
    9756C94A-FAFE-4550-9CA0-DE1083958E2F.jpeg
    896.2 KB · Views: 120
  • ECE0E2B0-92A5-47BE-8AAA-7FC44039364D.jpeg
    ECE0E2B0-92A5-47BE-8AAA-7FC44039364D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 108
Welcome back to growing! I think of LST exactly how you describe. If you hold the main branch or tip down below the others, the others will grow faster. It is a way to make a level canopy to benefit all the bud sites as much as possible. You do have to selectively cut a few leaves as well to allow them to recieve their fair share of light. Hope this makes sense! Enjoy the grow. From what I understand you have some excellent genetics to grow.

I like to top and LST. Looks like your off to a good start :welcome:

Thanks for the welcome! I’ve been debating on topping with them bing so small. I have some sheers coming tomorrow, so we’ll see. I’m also wondering if I should clip a fan leaf to give a bit more light, but definitely won’t do both at the same time.

Welcome back to growing! I think of LST exactly how you describe. If you hold the main branch or tip down below the others, the others will grow faster. It is a way to make a level canopy to benefit all the bud sites as much as possible. You do have to selectively cut a few leaves as well to allow them to recieve their fair share of light. Hope this makes sense! Enjoy the grow. From what I understand you have some excellent genetics to grow.

Thanks! Does clipping a fan leaf cause much stress? I can’t imagine it would as much as topping.

To clarify, I don't know that you need to cut leaves yet but it is a technique you can use going forward. With autos less stress is better but once a plant is more established I don't think cutting a leaf that is covering another site is too bad. Certainly less dramatic than topping.

I usually wait for 4-5 nodes or so before topping.
As for fans, I wouldn’t cut any yet. Wait a week before flipping to 12/12. These were topped a few weeks back, then transplanted into 5 gallons for LST.
6F4A8297-A0E5-4C4C-B2CE-2DA5D9C1F283.jpeg
6BCCF396-2A63-4DED-9876-8F78CEB73BF1.jpeg

Ok folks, I figured it was about time to start feeding (day21). I have a living soil mixed into the lower third of my pots. Today I noticed what looks to me like cal/mag deficiency, yes both. It would make sense bc I have not fed and I’m using ro water (already have it for aquarium top-off). I received my roots organic veg and bloom today and also blue planet nutes organic cal/mag. I top dressed the grow and added cal/mag to my water, both at half amount directed. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 5A8AD45B-7689-4C83-8672-CC305C21951F.jpeg
    5A8AD45B-7689-4C83-8672-CC305C21951F.jpeg
    806.8 KB · Views: 103
Ok folks, I figured it was about time to start feeding (day21). I have a living soil mixed into the lower third of my pots. Today I noticed what looks to me like cal/mag deficiency, yes both. It would make sense bc I have not fed and I’m using ro water (already have it for aquarium top-off). I received my roots organic veg and bloom today and also blue planet nutes organic cal/mag. I top dressed the grow and added cal/mag to my water, both at half amount directed. Thoughts?
I just read the ingredients.... Looks like compost tea in a bottle. I’m curious to see how well it works.
Is it the dry line, or bottled?

I just read the ingredients.... Looks like compost tea in a bottle. I’m curious to see how well it works.
Is it the dry line, or bottled?
Everything I listed is dry, I’ll keep adding updates here as I go along. I’d leave some links, but I’m not going to here because I can’t vouch for them yet and I don’t want to break any rules. You can easily google them if you’re curious. Cheers

I did. I’m familiar with them.
Let me know if you’re interested in any compost tea recipes.
I use Down to Earth dry mixes, but You could use yours I’m sure.

Hey 420 folks! It’s been over a decade since I’ve grown last and times have changed to say the least. So it’s time to grow! So I have two plants growing both around 3 weeks from germ. My setup is a 1,000w led 30” above with dimmers, my temp stays around 77 and humidity right about 50. No nutes. I’m growing RQS gorilla auto and Autoseeds dreamberry (trifoliate) both of which are just bellow 3.5 inches currently at day 20. Last night I started lst with no problems, but this is my question, I understand the point behind lst is to provide more light to the under sites, but my plants are so short and bushy that even after tying down I’m not really getting much more light to lower nodes. So is the fact that the top is being held down going to allow for the lower nodes to grow through the leaves even though they aren’t really getting much more light? I’ll include a pic of each (gorilla, gorilla side, dreamberry), post lst. Advice is much appreciated!
welcome to the family!
Plants look good, I LST my plants. They are resilient and can bend easily most of the time. Have you read up on it? I'll post a link. Make sure to have some tape in case you break a branch by accident you can literally tape it back together again, 90% of the time they heal.
How's the leaves doing?

welcome to the family!
Plants look good, I LST my plants. They are resilient and can bend easily most of the time. Have you read up on it? I'll post a link. Make sure to have some tape in case you break a branch by accident you can literally tape it back together again, 90% of the time they heal.
How's the leaves doing?

Good, it’s been 3 days since lst. I think it progressed just a touch, but I think I caught it early and the calmag is doing its job along with with their first feeling. Still a bit concerned that they are small, but I think it’s focused on growing out the side branches and sites. I’ve read through a ton of grow diaries of the same strain and some have mentioned it tends to take off once in flower. I just started to see preflowers in the last day or two, I’m just going to leave them alone for now aside from food and water and cross my fingers that they explode soon. Funny thing is two different strains growing almost identically, at least to this point. Day 22 Gorilla 1, Dreamberry 2.

Attachments

• 970D722F-9AC8-4A27-8F43-B96D1349CF11.jpeg
    970D722F-9AC8-4A27-8F43-B96D1349CF11.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 96
  • 78787D02-081F-45AE-9437-0EBB01EA5F84.jpeg
    78787D02-081F-45AE-9437-0EBB01EA5F84.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
Are they photo-period or auto? I have pics of my ladies, any opinions would be appreciated. Also look at the one with the canoeing leaves, any opinions.
20200221_102819.jpg
20200221_102811.jpg
20200221_102736.jpg

Back
Top Bottom