Male plants

dlchobbes

Rats! A male sneaked in to my grow room (I bought "feminized"). It is the beginning of my 7th week. The seeds were just starting to become visible/obvious. How screwed am I?

I think the only way to insure all females is to clone. And as I understand it, a plant that is stressed will morph into a male/female plant. Either way, up end up with a plant with no buds.

Hmm, maybe it was stressed cuz it did look male/female. However, stress must be a relative thing cuz everyone else seems happy.

Rats! A male sneaked in to my grow room (I bought "feminized"). It is the beginning of my 7th week. The seeds were just starting to become visible/obvious. How screwed am I?

It is actually a hermaphrodite then - a female plant with a small number of male flowers on it. This is different from a male plant.

In that case, you can try and pick all the male flowers off of the plant. It might just be one or two - or the whole thing may start producing male flowers. If you find that you can't keep ahead of the male flowers - then it might be time to :rip:.

I think the only way to insure all females is to clone. And as I understand it, a plant that is stressed will morph into a male/female plant. Either way, up end up with a plant with no buds.

That is certainly the best way - but it does not prevent hermaphrodites. You can clone a plant with an unexpressed ability to produce hermaphrodites (you do not yet know it's full genetic potential).

Hermaphodites are prevented first and foremost with the choice of good breeding stock. Secondarily, you must keep the environment stress free so that they never have a chance to express themselves. If you find that a plant (or line of clones) continuously produces hermaphrodites in your environment - it is definitely time to find a different plant / strain to grow.

Hmm, maybe it was stressed cuz it did look male/female. However, stress must be a relative thing cuz everyone else seems happy.

Yes, stress is a relative thing. Think about people - a little stress kills some people and others brush it off. Plants are the same way. It would seem that heat and light are the two stresses most directly tied to producing hermaphrodites (or for the expression of that trait in a phenotype - to be more precise).

:goodluck:

Actually hermie have buds. Just yield and potentcy are affected. Male= no buds. Hermie = not so awesomebuds. :)

Back
Top Bottom