Maximum height?

CanadianJim

Total noob question here, something I haven't ever considered before.

I was looking at some of the seeds available on a couple of seed banks, and I noticed that a few of the seeds listed a height for the plants. One said something like "reaches a height of 1.3 meters".

I had always read things like that without really noticing them. It made me wonder, is this real? Do the plants just veg till the reach about that height and then sit there waiting to flower? That just doesn't seem right. The last plant I had in the ground just grew until the buds were getting close to done, but there was no height listed for it.

It's one of those things that, when you read it, it just passes right on through without making much of an impression.

I never had to think about this kind of thing when I was growing indoors, but not having the cost of a grow room on the electric bill is awesome.

Like I said, noob question.

Depends if ya in tent or room & height of room etc can be an issue... pot size, safe hanging height of hps or led to given size the plant can grow.

Double to triple size from height of veg as to when ya flip 12/12 !

Just like any other plant you buy at a nursery they all have height sizes. That is just what it says it is... for real. There will be contributors to achieving the maximum growth but that is all subject-able to environment and nutrients. Make sense Jim?

Yeah, it just seems kinda pointless to put the size a pant will grow when there are so many other factors that can affect it. I have never seen heights listed on the seeds for other plants though. I really doubt my Blue Cheese is only going to get to 1.3 meters. She's already a foot tall.

Yeah, it just seems kinda pointless to put the size a pant will grow when there are so many other factors that can affect it. I have never seen heights listed on the seeds for other plants though. I really doubt my Blue Cheese is only going to get to 1.3 meters. She's already a foot tall.
It's the same thing for yields..they give you a estimate on yield per plant

Hmmm almost gardening centres have them on any living thing you buy there on a tab on the containers but regardless did you look up strains that are more to your size liking? Those too are listed on almost weed site you go to but 420 Mag has a strain list as well.

There always is wiggle room if you will. However if you only have a 3 ft space then you definitely would be grateful for not purchasing the strain that will grow 6ft. So the charts do help guide you. Sativa and indicate grow totally different with hybrid in between so it is something to consider if it becomes an issue for you later.

Have you thought about starting a journal? I have a link in my signature should ya choose for us to follow along

Charts are a ball park just like anything in life nothing is for certain

Welcome to 420 Mag!

Sorry, I was referring to the info on the breeder's website for seeds I bought. I see it like hot peppers, the seed packs tell you how many days it takes for the peppers to ripen (kind of like weeks in flower), and what the Scoville range for those peppers is (like cannabinoid percentages).
You are right that plants bought at a garden center or nursery will have the height of the plant when you buy it listed, I guess maybe it sounded like I was buying clones. My bad.
Hmmm almost gardening centres have them on any living thing you buy there on a tab on the containers but regardless did you look up strains that are more to your size liking? Those too are listed on almost weed site you go to but 420 Mag has a strain list as well.

There always is wiggle room if you will. However if you only have a 3 ft space then you definitely would be grateful for not purchasing the strain that will grow 6ft. So the charts do help guide you. Sativa and indicate grow totally different with hybrid in between so it is something to consider if it becomes an issue for you later.

Have you thought about starting a journal? I have a link in my signature should ya choose for us to follow along

Charts are a ball park just like anything in life nothing is for certain

Welcome to 420 Mag!

I think it's more of a suggestion based on standard veg/flower times, or an outdoor grow cycle. For outdoor growers it may not matter too much but could give an indoor grower a good idea of what to expect in terms of how manageable it will be indoors. Of course training and SCROG techniques would change this, I would assume it's meant to be an "in average conditions and grow length" indication to help those with limited grow areas choose what will work best for them.

Lol, I started this thread as an edible was taking effect and I think I gave the wrong impression.
I am not a noob to growing cannabis, I have been growing for a few years now. I felt the question was one that a noob would ask, and I was a bit embarrassed to be asking. I guess I am an outdoors noob.

@BigDannel Your post arrived as I was typing this. Makes sense

Total noob question here, something I haven't ever considered before.

I was looking at some of the seeds available on a couple of seed banks, and I noticed that a few of the seeds listed a height for the plants. One said something like "reaches a height of 1.3 meters".

I had always read things like that without really noticing them. It made me wonder, is this real? Do the plants just veg till the reach about that height and then sit there waiting to flower? That just doesn't seem right. The last plant I had in the ground just grew until the buds were getting close to done, but there was no height listed for it.

It's one of those things that, when you read it, it just passes right on through without making much of an impression.

I never had to think about this kind of thing when I was growing indoors, but not having the cost of a grow room on the electric bill is awesome.

Like I said, noob question.
Simply put, a photo period strain can and will grow to the top of lights if hung in a 6’7” tent ( standard size ) . They will grow 4 feet , 5 feet , 6 feet tall. You will have to train , use netting , top, crop, bend , tie down , whatever you decide is best for you to maintain a height that works with your set up
Autos can grow 3 feet tall

Hey Noob! Welcome to our club, you'll fi tin perfectly then... :hug:

Oil has that effect on me lol

Yes you got! You sounded new, but it just may have been where you were going in your mind. haha All good.

Have a great day!

:snowboating:
Sorry, I was referring to the info on the breeder's website for seeds I bought. I see it like hot peppers, the seed packs tell you how many days it takes for the peppers to ripen (kind of like weeks in flower), and what the Scoville range for those peppers is (like cannabinoid percentages).
You are right that plants bought at a garden center or nursery will have the height of the plant when you buy it listed, I guess maybe it sounded like I was buying clones. My bad.

Sorry I feel like a goof , your question was for outdoors. I’m glad I am on board here because maybe I can get good answers as well . I believe I’m gonna try one plant outdoors .i just can’t find that right spot for next 3 months or longer . And the thought of possibly having to walk away from it before she s ever done .... hmm is it worth gambling one little seed ? Hmmm

Lol, I started this thread as an edible was taking effect and I think I gave the wrong impression.
I am not a noob to growing cannabis, I have been growing for a few years now. I felt the question was one that a noob would ask, and I was a bit embarrassed to be asking. I guess I am an outdoors noob.

@BigDannel Your post arrived as I was typing this. Makes sense

No worries man I mean consider the type of forum you're on.... I think we all understand and have been there lol

It is a random piece of info and I've seen it posted on seed listings myself, I always figured it was a loose guideline more than an absolute.

Sorry I feel like a goof , your question was for outdoors. I’m glad I am on board here because maybe I can get good answers as well . I believe I’m gonna try one plant outdoors .i just can’t find that right spot for next 3 months or longer . And the thought of possibly having to walk away from it before she s ever done .... hmm is it worth gambling one little seed ? Hmmm

I would. Why not? You can plant her in a big pot that could be moved inside if conditions change or maybe build a small structure with clear plastic and wood. I am not sure where you are but I love my garden outside 10x over indoors. I have many of both. I did that last year and this year I have a greenhouse so I don't have to build another one. Have you ever grown outdoors?

I believe it's to give you the buyer an "idea" of what you are getting into so you don't end up unkowingly growing some crazy 20' tall Congolese strain in your spare closet, etc.
BUT you can read it and say "oh, this afghani should be fine for my closet, it only gets 3' tall..." etc etc.
Not an issue when growing peppers.
HOWEVER you will see height info on seeds for tall plants like giant sunflowers, etc.

I would. Why not? You can plant her in a big pot that could be moved inside if conditions change or maybe build a small structure with clear plastic and wood. I am not sure where you are but I love my garden outside 10x over indoors. I have many of both. I did that last year and this year I have a greenhouse so I don't have to build another one. Have you ever grown outdoors?
No never , it’s not so smart here so to speak . I’d have to deal with winds and possible smell . Close neighbors who are cool but I live near a major road . I have lots of obstacles but it’s doable . I’m thinking a 10 gallon pot right next to my back deck . I know this is a poor photo but it would revive light half the day and other half shade but I could move the pot around some

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 26
Actually here’s a better oucty
55FBC147-CB2C-4826-B331-7E4BA50785AD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom