Method 420-s1ing gets waxy

Yeah No Doubt! I need a slice, humble pie that is.
No I really would just like to see what extractors would come up with and of course it would also be fun to have that contest to strive for.
You are right though I got lots to learn.
I am going to set aside some of the trim this next run to dry so i can blast it to BHOLand:hookah:

I've been experimenting with fresh nugs as well as cured nugs, and the differences have been subtle in terms of return, but the quality and taste is by far superior to the first time I tried running a bunch of trim. After talking to Cap I realized my trim was $hit compared to the frosty clippings you get. I should be playing with a couple of frosty strains in the upcoming journal so I'll be sure to give it another shot.

hmmmm so you think the trim doesn't work as well if it's been frozen too long? I have some from my last harvest I plan to process in this next batch. I'm getting ready for a hash making marathon! :rofl: I have about a dozen 1g freezer bags of fresh frozen trim. :yummy: The age will vary from just a couple weeks old to months old. :blalol:

I know there are many opinions on this, but I've come to understand from my ventures in BHO extracting that the drier the texture of material, the more contaminants (plant material) could end up in your blast dish. I think that was the main reason why my trim had an awful turnout. I froze it, and ended up with visible terpines (with a bad taste) all throughout the oil. Cap suggested keeping the trim at 62% humidity, and works out well for him. I'm going to try this method, since I keep my nugs at 62% any how.

ok I forgot I said I was gonna post a pic or two or 3 lol

so from right to left 1st try to 3rd the third ones a bit crumbly
heres some closer pics

:ciao: Chronic, were those mini slabs stuck in a vac or heat purged?

Nice pics and info hemphog
Thanks for the input AG
I am thinking that I will get some extraction tubes and a vac chamber, that and a WHOLE bunch of Butane.
If any members here wouldn't mind sharing a few URL's with us (equipment, gas)
Great prices and great sellers would be appreciated

I bought the stuff I have now locally but I want some better stuff ill order online from amazon later but what I have works for now
I do both AG, heat and Vacuum

edit oh yea and those were my first 3 tries ever I still can do one more run but im debating on waiting for better vacuum purging equipment
the hand pumping to 25 Hg is a killer :rofl:

Haha, I feel you Chron. I had the manual pump and mason jar setup my first go around but I couldn't hold off as long as you did :laughtwo:

My first real vac pump setup consists of a 1 stage 3cfm vac with a 1 gallon desiccator. They have these 'Vac-it-Pro' pre assembled kits on the Fleabay that go for 200 plus, but I opted to buy the pump, desiccator, plumpbing, and gauges separately. I saved about 50$, and can still hold 29Hg easily.

I would post links up here, but honestly there are so many options that a simple web search would give you endless results. I'm not aware of any sponsors that sell this equipment, but the Flea has been my source.

Two things that usually don't come included in these kits are a laser temp gun and a degree-controlled skillet, two very important tools;)

yea Im gonna go the electric route soon lol its not easy hand pumping lol

Well its looking like rain/snow and my shouldar hurts so I figure F! IT! let the washing machine do some work today and lets make some ice-wax.

So I checked to make sure the freezer made a full tray of ice CHECK!

I filled up three one gallon tea bottles for ice cold low ppm water CHECK!

Enough fresh frozen trim in the freezer? CHECK!

so now I load the vape with last runs darker stuff I keep for me, get well medicated and take a nap. wake up and get it on.
I'll see if I sWeetP will use my old camera to do a video, well see what she says, if it's a go Ill upload and link it later tonight.
Hope to see ya'll back later. Spread the word, everyone's welcome!

very nice thread s1ingblade, with a very positive group following. I hope you don't mind an interjection in your thread, but I'd like to share some info. A little over a yr ago I came across a thread lead by Frenchy, was looking to make some traditional hash, and this man is the master. I've changed my approach to water extraction reading about his system and thoughts.

Here's a LINKto his water extraction technique

There is an accompanying 400 page thread which would answer many questions not answered in the video which is not available right now.

Couple of facts not in video;
He does not believe in freezing the trim weather its fresh or older. He believes that (especially with fresh) freezing will burst the trichrome heads, since they are mostly water. This could explain why you had more on your 45 screen, and very little on the 73.

He only uses 3 screens. 160, 70, & 45. He doesn't want anything larger than 160 and anything below the 70 will be a lessor grade, so he feels there is no need to sort at any other level.

I'm a small grower and never have enough trim to warrant the use of a washing machine, so I've taken a 5gal bucket and installed a fitting at the bottom to connect a hose to be able to drain the bucket, put my 220 bag in this bucket and stir with a large paint stick. I drain this through my 160, 73, 25. The material on the 160 I throw out, the 73 is aged and turned into hash, the collection on the 25 I use for hash caps.

I am going to try a test run with Frenchies styles like no work bag.
I'm saving ice and will run it asap, gotta get the trim done. oh yeah I am also going to save some trim to dry and test the exploding bulbous head theory, makes sense to me.
thanks again wattsaver

I would like to know how much safer shatter is after it ran thru a vacuum chamber? Sure do like the stuff :)

Close to 0 safer afterwards, a fair bit amount safer during. Use of the vacuum chamber helps in lowering the boiling point and speeds it up a little, if you create enough underpressure. The reason a chamber is used tho, is to prevent you blowing yourself up. This because the butane is heavyer then air .. and a lot of dumb people have issues with comprehending how to ventilate well, so the chamber was thrown in there, because too much people blew themselves up.

If you do not like the thought of butane, you could use alcohol and QWISO method. The end result is the same stuff .. both butane and alcohol are solvents and if you take care to buy the right grade butane, both will evaporate without residual material. But during evaporation, there is a risk, unless a vacuum chamber is used.to vent off the fumes.

Edit: also, never use open fire (flame/joint/cig/lighter/etc.) anywhere near that proces, no matter how well you ventilate. Some things you can't be sorry about if they go wrong.

very nice thread s1ingblade, with a very positive group following. I hope you don't mind an interjection in your thread, but I'd like to share some info. A little over a yr ago I came across a thread lead by Frenchy, was looking to make some traditional hash, and this man is the master. I've changed my approach to water extraction reading about his system and thoughts.

Here's a LINKto his water extraction technique

Thanks a million for posting this! I just watched all his youtube vids, and learned a lot in the proces, thanks!

The material on the 160 I throw out,

You should considder QWISO on it before throwing it out IMHO. Ice wash won't extract what's in the material, just what's on it. There should be some nice shatter hiding in there ;)

I'm still wary of residue from ISO or Butane extractions. I'm also a little nervous about making it myself. I shouldn't be since I'm usually not a dumbass, but we all make mistakes. :blalol:

I already have a set of bags, and I'm willing to invest in a washing machine. I like Frenchy's approach. I'm certainly going to incorporate some of his ideas into my process.

Maybe after I master my ice water hash making technique, I'll venture into using other solvents. :winkyface:

Great thread!

You can take most of the risk out of alcohol extraction by placing the alcohol extract over a pot of hot water, and changing it out for new hot water every now and then, and place the whole thing under a fume hood. The alcohol vapor will mix with the water vapour, and the combination will exit through the fumehood.

If you are paranoid or extra precautious, use garbage bags wet towels or something like that to seal it semi-airtight and improvise a vacuum chamber. Make sure air can enter from below at a few places along the coridor of the seal, to get some good airflow in there, and keep in mind you'll have to change the water a few times.

Dont use any metal tools near it either use wooden instead if you have to use any.. think about static electricity and your clothing too, use your nose .. if your fumehood is doing what it's supposed to, you shouldnt smell alcohol, or just a little bit of it. Of the air is heavy with the smell, you are doing it wrong.

You could speed it up by blowing a fan over it at the same time. Work in small batches .. or large trays. You want a thin layer of extract to speed up evaporating .. yeah, you'll be scraping longer and more often, but it's safer that way if you don't have proper equipment to deal with the fumes.

Butane is a different story .. first of all, there's ALWAYS residue: (https://www.-----.com/ic/showthread.php?t=275567) (google on 'butane residue test' if this gets filtered). Second of all, you need proper equipment, or you are risking danger most of the proces.

You need to considder the fact that metal's can spark, and PVC get's dissolved by the Butane. Both are not good for your health .. one a little more abrubt then the other, but getting cancer from dissolved PVC in your inhaled now PVC-enriched oil aint all that happy either I'd say. So you need to get good quality material to work with if you dont want unpleasant surprises later on.

The only good reason in my not too humble opinion to opt for Butane, is not being able to get high proof alcohol. Cleaning alcohol is fine .. you'll evaporate it anyway and there is a lot less danger involved.

I've tried BHO 3 times from 3 different people and all three are considered "adept" at making high-quality waxes by a lot of people other than themselves. Yeah, I got high (really high), but just didn't dig the taste. I've made some qwiso from a couple ounces of ABV that went through my healthstone like butter, was smooth and tasty and everyone that tried it raves about it. Considering it was made from stuff I typically give away, I figured it was a winner. But my absolute favorite is properly-made bubble hash and/or carded dry-sift. Nothing better IMO.

:peace:

Butane is a different story .. first of all, there's ALWAYS residue: (https://www.-----.com/ic/showthread.php?t=275567) (google on 'butane residue test' if this gets filtered). Second of all, you need proper equipment, or you are risking danger most of the proces.

You need to considder the fact that metal's can spark, and PVC get's dissolved by the Butane. Both are not good for your health .. one a little more abrubt then the other, but getting cancer from dissolved PVC in your inhaled now PVC-enriched oil aint all that happy either I'd say. So you need to get good quality material to work with if you dont want unpleasant surprises later on.

The only good reason in my not too humble opinion to opt for Butane, is not being able to get high proof alcohol. Cleaning alcohol is fine .. you'll evaporate it anyway and there is a lot less danger involved.

Hey Planet, great post. I'm just curious where in the process of extraction PVC would ever want to be used in contact with tane?

But I much prefer the extraction process of BHO (with the end result) then when I was making hash. I feel like the best alternative to butane without reducing polarity would be a CO2 extraction. My only problem is finding a 20lbs SFE CO2 tank :laughtwo:

Hey Planet, great post. I'm just curious where in the process of extraction PVC would ever want to be used in contact with tane?
Never, if you do it right. But I've seen honeyoil extractors made from regular PVC pipes, capped with more regular PVC and then emptying 3 cans of butane in it. This is about as safe as Russian roulette.

But I much prefer the extraction process of BHO (with the end result) then when I was making hash. I feel like the best alternative to butane without reducing polarity would be a CO2 extraction. My only problem is finding a 20lbs SFE CO2 tank :laughtwo:

First world problems ;) QWISO yields the same stuff as BHO with only a little textural difference.

Imo and experience in doing it, the amount the 73 bag catches has more to do with strain and level of agitation. I use two buckets; one with the 220, 190 and 160 and I pour the water from the first into a second with the 120, 73 and 45. I don't use the washing machine at all. I load the first with a little ice, float it in a little water, put in trim, more ice and then water up to about an inch from top (staggering trim/ice when doing large run before putting final water in.) Let it sit until water is no longer under the ice and then hand stir fairly gentle with a plastic spoon for about 5 minutes and then let it set again for 30 minutes or so. Lift the 3 bags out of the first bucket and pour into the second and let sit for 20-30 minutes and then start grabbing the hash a bag at a time. I do two runs and keep the 73 and 45 from the first and the 73 from the second which I eventually mix/cure with the 45 from the first (I keep the first run 73 completely seperate as its the bomb and full frick'in melt.) All other grades I make shatter with using QWISO method. I also didn't get anything really at first in the 73 when I was agitating w/the spoon in a cordless drill for 15 minutes...I believe the reason has more to do with breaking the heads up from over agitating than anything else as I've used the exact same strains from the same original plant (cloning) over a year.

If you're making "wax" BHO tastes better than QWISO Imo. But, for shatter it doesn't really matter from my experience and is just easier, faster and more resource effective, imho, to do QWISO. Plus, with QWISO you don't need to mix the hash with bud in order to "blast." The texture (shatter vs wax vs sap) has more to do with the temp's used durring purging then anything else imo.

Also, if making shatter from BHO, you don't really need a vaccuum to purge. Blasting with alcohol and winterizing handles the butane...and the alcohol is eventually completely purged for we friends of Bill W. Oh, and point of reference on using a fan to speed up evap...don't blow it across the top. Suck the air from across the top if one insists on using a fan at all. Keeps the dust and debris from mixing with the product. However, if the end goal is shatter anyway, hotplate/double boiler kinda set up works just fine and at most the fan reduces the evap time very minimally from my experience. Qwiso shatter is a very "up" high while BHO wax is more "couch lock," at least to me and how I make them. Proper vacuuming just takes way to long imo, honestly, like the saying "if it ain't shatter, it don't matter" and I'd rather have high quality bubble/ice wax than go to the bother and added expense and hassle of blasting, purging, vacc'ing BHO wax.

EDIT add: after both bubble runs I then run the rest through the 25 bag and that's the freebie bowl/bong toppers for social occassions. Its usually a tad beneath making a QWISO run w/o getting some undesireables for eye appeal in the final product.

Back
Top Bottom