Michael Phelps Has Revenge On Kellogg’s

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
When Olympic swimming champion Michael Phelps was photographed smoking marijuana he found himself quickly dropped by Kellogg's, who had used the athlete's hitherto wholesome image to sell its famous Corn Flakes and Frosted Flakes.

This quickly - or fairly quickly - led to a wave of protest from pro-cannabis campaigners who called for a boycott of the company's "hypocritical and disgusting" action. And now, it seems, the cereal manufacturer is paying the price for ridding themselves of sport's most-celebrated stoner.

Silicon Valley Insider (SVI) has published a report compiled by the company reputation index, Vanno, which appears to show that the cancellation of Phelps's endorsement contract has badly damaged the Kellogg's brand.

"Out of the 5,600 company reputations Vanno monitors, Kellogg ranked ninth before it booted Phelps. Now it's ranked 83. Not even an industry-wide peanut scare inflicted as much damage on the food company's reputation," reports SVI.

Kellogg's had featured the 23-year-old on the front of its cereal packets soon after his record-breaking eight Olympic gold medals last summer. But the company decided not to renew his contract when the News of the World published a photo of Phelps smoking cannabis at a student party.

At the time, several mainstream newspapers, including the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal published opinion columns questioning the rationale and effectiveness of America's cannabis laws.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The First Post
Copyright: 2009 The First Post
Contact: The First Post: News, current affairs, sport, entertainment, life and the arts
Website: People: Michael Phelps has revenge on Kellogg’s | News | The First Post

Re: Michael Phelps Has Revenge On Kellogg's

AWWWSOMME ! I KNEW that this was gonna go. There are way more of us out there than we get credit for. MOST of us have to be low key about use but WE ARE OUT HERE. NOW we get to see who the NEW and improved sponsors are gonna be. BTW, is this the same Kellogg as in Kellogg, Brown and Root ?

Gee Kelloggs revenues must have slipped a few million or many millions. Hmmmm, if I were their marketing & sales team, I would be revisiting their demograpfics and sales approaches. I can see it now, "Kelloggs Corn & Hemp Seed Flakes" There are no Kelloggs products in this house now. In fact this makes a good combination of products mix.

i miss my eggo's

hahaha but you have to think, its a lose lose situation.. everyone who opposes weed now wont buy kellogs, and everyone that loves weed and hates how kellog dropped him so fast wont support them

This is so great. We are so close people! So SO SO close. Lets finish it and smoke in peace!

that was a reputation index not a sales number but that is worse in terms of longterm cash dollars in both sales and the effectiveness
of marketing dollars some of us are old enough to remember how
chrysler had to do more and give better warranties and upped their advertising back when lee iacocca was there and the takeover

kellogs 's screw up will help us out a lot in terms of coporate
resistance to medical and legal use big money corps will be lees cast in stone about mj policy when they see real sales numbers on top of reputation index fall for kellogs...

don't think elected politicians aren't watching too many pols that would want a new look and hearinbg with new medical knowledge done to answer the ?s might take a risk on evaluation hearings or review of things since this...

Well keloggs should know that us marijuana smokers do buy alot of their products, they have now effectively reduced their sales to weed smokers all over

if all the sports teams have anti-mj rules then shouldn't 'sports' be boycotted?
what about schools and colleges?
what about local businesses?
how serious is everyone about this boycott business?
kellogs is easy to boycott, you have alternative cereals etc.
was this just the latest bandwagon to jump on or does this herald the new age of pro-pot boycotts?

so while we pat each other on the back for a job well done, are you gonna be boycotting your local market if the cashier is fired because of mj use?

^ True!

Just think of what a company could do if they stated they supported the use of Cannabis. I would definitely be more likely to buy a product from companies like that. I would even buy a product from them instead of my regular brand.

Re: Michael Phelps Has Revenge On Kellogg's

^ True!

Just think of what a company could do if they stated they supported the use of Cannabis. I would definitely be more likely to buy a product from companies like that. I would even buy a product from them instead of my regular brand.

Joe Rogan ("Fear Factor", "UFC" and one of the best comedians today says it best in An open letter to Kellogg's re: Michael Phelps"

https://blog.joerogan.net/archives/454
:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom