Micro MarsHydro LED & CFL input needed

Ogug

Hi 420 :byebye:

I need some advice, if possible. I have been using cfls on a couple of autoflowers for percy in a tiny cab, i saw the Marshydro 300/140w (with the new 5w diodes i think?) for a pretty good price. The buds ive seen with alot of leds have looked great! My questions are...

If i made a new box of 34" height, 21" depth, 21" width - would this be enough for the marshydro led or would i get lightburn? I would lst the autoflowers to keep them down.

Is the noise of the fan on the led loud? As this is a micro/stealthy kind of thing. Also, how hot does the led get? Hotter than say a 125w cfl or two of them?

One last thing, and im not sure as it probably varies on country - but does the ebay marshydro leds ship in plain packaging?

So, should i stick with cfls (2 x 125w) in a 34"x21" area or a Marshydro 300/140w - mainly worried about light burn/distance as ive never used led before and im pretty tight on funds right now.

I was just reading Mr Am4zin - with his grow in 30" with a 300w unbranded 3w led - which gave me hope, but would the 5w diodes need the distance to be further?

Thank you for any advice. :thanks:

re: Micro MarsHydro LED & CFL input needed.

I have 2 of those lights and i would say that following the manufacturer's instructions for your first use is probably best. I haven't had any heat issues but my cabinet is 2x2x6 foot.
Packaging is plain cardboard box...with a sticker saying 60x5w led light. Same packaging from Amazon and TopLed/marshydro uk. I hope that this is helpful.
Gluck.

Sent from my Arc using 420

re: Micro MarsHydro LED & CFL input needed

Hi Wolf,

Cheers for the reply, that is good to know on the packaging. Still not sure if 34" height is enough with them although been trying to read into it more, if i could lst it and get great results that would be great.

The lights in question have actually surprised my quite a bit. I haven't completed the grow, but I haven't noticed any negatives for these lights growing out an auto (still a ways to go) and vegging some photos. I have them in a small 36"x20"x50" tent and they have allowed my to run more watts per square foot versus my 4'x4' tent with an HID light. Heat is very manageable with a cheap duct fan on a speed controller. Light noise is very minimal, so stealth remains intact.

The huge problem with your setup is your height. You want to keep the lights 12" from the plants. That leaves you 22" of height to work with. If I was confined to this situation I would look at growing NFT hydro with a wide shallow pan in order to be able to grow a taller plant.

I can tell you these lights run whisper quiet. I haven't had them long but so far so good. The temps are not an issue. The only thing i see is the height. If you lst the hell out of them you may be able to get away with it. You can do great things with cfls tho too.

Good advise above...

34 inches is barely enough height, but with the right strain and training it'll work, it has for me. I have used both the regular 300w MarsHydro and the 300W MarsHydro Reflector models in 38" cabinet. The regular 300w seems to leaf burn more than than the reflector model. In my experience (yours may vary) the Reflector 300 burns leaves at about 6 inches, the regular 300 burns at about 10 inches. Train, train, and more training (LST,SOG,SCROG etc.) is almost a must at these height limitations. Flowering is really a challenge in 34 inches of height, but it can be done. Failure teaches ... and I failed lots at first. Hope this helps!

Best Of Buds

JB

:Namaste:

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! Yea,, the height is the major thing that is worrying me if i went with the led. The light i buy i will have to use with no extra cash atm. On my cfls they were in a 26" cab - so had to lst them to 12 or under in that one. I would love to run hydro, but im pretty much stuck with soil as my medium, it doesnt help that the pots are nearly 10" tall (the square 4litre/1gallon) ones. It's just trying to know if i can pull out some without lightburn/dead plants.

I hadnt thought of that idea with the flashlight, but tbh i've only looked into leds for about 2 weeks, when i was pricing up the cfls.
I could either go for 2x125w cfls - that i know i can fit/use , or try led... height permitting.
I'll have to make a decision soon - still thinkin. When i saw Mr Amazins led 300/grow in 30" box - it made me look into it more (though again i did notice these diodes are 5w rather than 3w) so that might make it even worse at the lower height - im just guessing here though as i've never used led.

That's interesting on you having less lightburn with the reflector version at 6" from the plant. That has given me an idea though - the reflector version is over £30 more so i couldnt do that now, but i could get the cfls - then after try to get/save for the marshydro300 reflector a few months down the line.

JBUptown, were your mars the new 5w version with those heights?

Cheers for all the replies guys!

JBUptown, were your mars the new 5w version with those heights?

Cheers for all the replies guys!

The older regular 300 uses 3w chips, the reflector has the 5w. Some strains seem to "harden" being raised on LED and can take almost direct contact with the Reflector, CKS WW is one that got outta control on me and grew into the light, but it just burned the top 1/2" tips that touched the panel. Everything from 1" down was fine on that grow. Best of Buds

JB

I've got the older model 200*3w Mars light and haven't had any issues with bleaching/burning even within 12" at some points and although I did my best to keep it at =>12" I think it would have been fine growing closer. That being said I had around twice as much height to work with so you would just need to do some serious training and shaping of the plants. Pretty sure the with the newer 5W models the intensity is higher so the distance would be greater. For my new grow I will be using the 200*3W panel in combination with some CFLs

The older regular 300 uses 3w chips, the reflector has the 5w. Some strains seem to "harden" being raised on LED and can take almost direct contact with the Reflector, CKS WW is one that got outta control on me and grew into the light, but it just burned the top 1/2" tips that touched the panel. Everything from 1" down was fine on that grow. Best of Buds

JB

Ah thats good to know JB - thanks! I've been looking at the Marshydro reflector (105w+) It is £30 more - but if it gives me that bit more headroom (say with the 6" from the canopy) i am seriously considering that now if it can perform with a bit more room (6" isnt much but that might help a huge deal, so hypothetically i could have possibly 12"-18" space for the plant. What do you honestly think? I would lst and scrog if i can in that 34" tall space.

Does the reflector make more noise&heat than the standard 300 version? Also would the reflector be ok with say 2-3 lst autos?

Would adding a small cfl during veg help at all?

thanks though, before this i was even more lost!

I've got the older model 200*3w Mars light and haven't had any issues with bleaching/burning even within 12" at some points and although I did my best to keep it at =>12" I think it would have been fine growing closer. That being said I had around twice as much height to work with so you would just need to do some serious training and shaping of the plants. Pretty sure the with the newer 5W models the intensity is higher so the distance would be greater. For my new grow I will be using the 200*3W panel in combination with some CFLs

Thats good to know, if i can get away with lsting it and the unit not lightburning - its making me very tempted. The reflector is about 40w less (I think) so that might help with the distance.I would love to have more space, but im pushing it with what i suggested - so really hoped i could make a go of things if it wasnt too powerful for the area. Thanks for the reply!

You are welcome, 420Magazine is a great place to obtain knowledge and assistance. I've learned so much from good folks on here.

" ... hypothetically i could have possibly 12"-18" space for the plant.
What do you honestly think? I would lst and scrog if i can in that 34" tall space."

Yes, LST and SCrog will both work and just about be a requirement. I can and does work but it's alot of time and effort to grow in such a small space.. It's not a easy grow, but it does produce and can provide a person with a steady supply.

Does the reflector make more noise&heat than the standard 300 version?
No, the fans are about identical in decibel output, my iPhone sez so, and I can't tell any difference in heat produced between the two. Although there may be a minimal heat signature difference it's negligible.

"Also would the reflector be ok with say 2-3 lst autos?"
Yes, the reflector 300 will grow good bud on 2-3 autos in that space.

"Would adding a small cfl during veg help at all?"
You can add CFLs to the grow area for heat if needed, but the LED panel is all the light your plants need to grow a crop in that area.

Best of Buds

JB

You are welcome, 420Magazine is a great place to obtain knowledge and assistance. I've learned so much from good folks on here.

" ... hypothetically i could have possibly 12"-18" space for the plant.
What do you honestly think? I would lst and scrog if i can in that 34" tall space."

Yes, LST and SCrog will both work and just about be a requirement. I can and does work but it's alot of time and effort to grow in such a small space.. It's not a easy grow, but it does produce and can provide a person with a steady supply.

Does the reflector make more noise&heat than the standard 300 version?
No, the fans are about identical in decibel output, my iPhone sez so, and I can't tell any difference in heat produced between the two. Although there may be a minimal heat signature difference it's negligible.

"Also would the reflector be ok with say 2-3 lst autos?"
Yes, the reflector 300 will grow good bud on 2-3 autos in that space.

"Would adding a small cfl during veg help at all?"
You can add CFLs to the grow area for heat if needed, but the LED panel is all the light your plants need to grow a crop in that area.

Best of Buds

JB

Hey JB! Cheers for the reply and helping answer all these questions i have :thanks: Yeah, everyone ive spoken to has been great here at 420 :yahoo:

Im glad it might be possible, its just personal smoke - if it can keep me going that would be great :rollit: Thank you for the heat question - i wondered as it was a dif model. Having 2 or 3 being fine is great as that would be the most id ever do and I'll keep the cfls in mind when its colder then!

Thank you again JB you have been of great help :thanks:

ever think about some good LED style flood lights? I'm surprised I haven't seen this tried yet. It's pretty obvious "white" LEDs grow plants. Good luck!!

actually i have two 20w led flodlights IP 65 in my veg room right now not the best lights in the world but for the price they are fine and they work in my perpetual closet just fine. but as for flowering goes i don't think they are worth shit. only ussable as site/under supplement lighting for that i would say.

actually i have two 20w led flodlights IP 65 in my veg room right now not the best lights in the world but for the price they are fine and they work in my perpetual closet just fine. but as for flowering goes i don't think they are worth shit. only ussable as site/under supplement lighting for that i would say.

Hey Klovneposen! Ah i see - i didnt know that, i looked at them briefly but kept going back to the mars thinkin how can i make this work;) I'll keep that in mind if i did grab a small one to only use as side/off lightin :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom