Mixed nutes for soil grow

Yes because you could pH the water today and tomorrow the pH will be different you can mix up your nutrients and keep it ready but just pH what you are going to use

the nutrients react with the ph up or down creating salts and causes ur ph to go back up normally. thats why you need to check ur ph before feeding or at least once a day if using a resevoir. that being said for first few years of covert growing I didnt check my resevoir ph for weeks n weeks n had no problems. soil is very forgiving.

Yes because you could pH the water today and tomorrow the pH will be different

Um, but isn't that a good thing? You're giving time for everything to equilibrate (i.e. for the pH Down or pH Up to interact with the buffers and stabilize, which can take some time).

I don't think there's any problem with mixing nutes a day or two in advance.

Ph up and PH down are only active in your water for a few hours then it starts to go back to its normal pH so if treating his nutrient water now 4 pH he will just have to do it again when he goes to water the next time this is the reason I suggested that he only pH what he is going to use nutrients are flying to be mixed together but you don't want them to be left for more than 7 to 10 days mixed

Ph up and PH down are only active in your water for a few hours then it starts to go back to its normal pH

Hmmm, that runs counter to everything I learned in chemistry. If you add phosphoric acid (the main active ingredient in pH Down) or lye (the main active ingredient in pH Up), those chemicals don't go anywhere, and being very a powerful acid or base, they don't stop working either.

Commercial fertilizers are made with buffers that stabilize the pH, so if you're seeing a change in pH, it's most likely just the time delay for the buffers to work.

> you don't want them to be left for more than 7 to 10 days mixed
That is my understanding as well.

in my experience with hesi nutes n desalinated sea water from my tap. my ph fluctuates between 5.5 after an hour of mixing nutes n ph down - to about 7 every 24 hours.

No I'm not measuring the run off either I have been doing this long enough with the same kind of setup that I have pretty much gotten it down to a science I know what time of year my water fluctuates

It's actually the the carbon dioxide in the air and what gets trapped inside the bottle that actually causes the change

It's actually the the carbon dioxide in the air and what gets trapped inside the bottle that actually causes the change

Sorry IH, I don't mean to be contrary, but CO2 is only present in very small quantities in air--not enough to significantly affect ph, especially of a buffered solution.

Google does water change pH over time

It would surprise you the answer

Sure, water that is not in stable state will change pH until it equilibrates with both its environment (temperature, gases in the air) and the chemistry of any added substances stabilizes (e.g. buffers).

If you say so but I know that I watch the water constantly change day today

I can't argue with your particular experience, of course.

The chemistry of aqueous solutions can be complicated!

One more thing: the pH water of water that is fairly pure can change very easily (from CO2 that is present for example, as you noted, creating weak carbonic acid), and readings can change as temperature changes (though the effect is not large). After buffers are added and had time to work, the pH is much more stable (which is exactly what the buffering chemicals are there for).

At my first job out of college one of my main responsibilities was preparing about 100 liters of ultra pure water for a research laboratory every day, so I got know water chemistry pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom