Molassess

Hi guys,

I read that some growers are using GHE sweet nectar and some are using molasses.
Just for information, is it a must to use it and what benefit does it has to the plant

Recommended during vegetation or flowering?
Recommended for both, especially if using a natural soil. Not sure how well it will work with a soilless soil mix. The soil organisms feed on the sugars in the molasses and that increases their populations. A larger population means that they will consume the other organic materials in the soil. Then when they exude their waste the plant can absorb what it needs to grow. When the organism dies they leave more nutrients for the plant. The larger the population of organisms the healthier the soil is supposed to be and the better the plants. Do it with a large bucket or natural soil and you will get larger plants and more buds.

I really do not know how well it would work in a soilless soil mix or in a hydroponic style of grow.

Old mo Also sweetens and smooths out the smoke. i use in flower 1 teaspoon per gal.of water before PHing and fed every other watering till chop. Lol
It does not sweeten and smooth out the smoke. It feeds the soil organisms.

If it really did do something directly to the plant then the smoke would taste like molasses and not smooth. Molasses is not really a smooth taste. It usually needs to be used in a recipe for cookies or cakes or something before people like the taste.

Is it safe to say it's meant for soil medium not coco ? I cant find anything on google for molasses for coco
I actually don't know the answer because I use soil. However I do add it in flower. I put about 1-2 tbsp per 5 gallon. really depends on what my plants need at that time. I get great results. The flower usually doubles by the end of one week or so. I have to say I also flush well and the one comment I get about my flower is that it always smells amazing and tastes almost exotic. I know there is a bunch of different info out there on it. I can only speak to my results.

I'm going to call in some friends that may know more "details" @Jackalope @MrSauga @Old Salt @InTheShed

Good Luck! I say try it but I also like experiments

It does not sweeten and smooth out the smoke. It feeds the soil organisms.

If it really did do something directly to the plant then the smoke would taste like molasses and not smooth. Molasses is not really a smooth taste. It usually needs to be used in a recipe for cookies or cakes or something before people like the taste.
If that’s the case, that fertilizer your smoken has weed in it too. Or is it the other way around? I’m a firm believer that it not only helping bulk up the buds a bit.
noticeable differences but for me from the second half of flower to the flush
and chop. My buds are first class and “never will u choke on my smoke“. now that should b on a t shirt. i Do understand about the microbes and yes, I do believe there’s a difference thing
Going on in the plant cell walls then what’s known now it does something to the buds that l can’t get my head around......bud I like It. Later campers

I actually don't know the answer because I use soil. However I do add it in flower. I put about 1-2 tbsp per 5 gallon. really depends on what my plants need at that time. I get great results. The flower usually doubles by the end of one week or so. I have to say I also flush well and the one comment I get about my flower is that it always smells amazing and tastes almost exotic. I know there is a bunch of different info out there on it. I can only speak to my results.

I'm going to call in some friends that may know more "details" @Jackalope @MrSauga @Old Salt @InTheShed

The flower will grow larger, weigh more, smell amazing and taste exotic becuase the plant has been able to take up more of the nutrients it needs for the flowering stage. These nutrients were made available by the increase in the population of soil microbes and organisms because they were fed the sugars, etc in the molasses. The plant cannot take up the molasses directly.

A well fed plant tends to a healthy plant and healthy plants produce more flowers.

My buds are first class and “never will u choke on my smoke“. now that should b on a t shirt. i Do understand about the microbes and yes, I do believe there’s a difference thing
Going on in the plant cell walls then what’s known now it does something to the buds that l can’t get my head around......bud I like It. Later campers
The plant grows better because it is being fed better by the microbes in the soil. They are the ones doing the work.

Hi guys,

I read that some growers are using GHE sweet nectar and some are using molasses.
Just for information, is it a must to use it and what benefit does it has to the plant

Recommended during vegetation or flowering?
Molasses can also be used to lower the pH in your water in other words pH down.

That sounds about right, as long as I keep coming up with nice thick buds.
ill continue to use molasses During flower. :peace: Along with @Recharge for
soil. Check it out on Amazon if u want. It works like molasses to enrich and add microbes to the soil ;) growers luv

Is it safe to say it's meant for soil medium not coco ? I cant find anything on google for molasses for coco
I did not do more than follow a few links but there are growers using coco and feeding molasses to their microbes. If I am understanding right they inoculate the coco very early in the grow. Makes sense since coco is an organic material and it will eventually decompose. I have also read and run into some who use a coco medium and they mix in a bit of peat. That mix would allow the microbes a surface to live on.

Then there are the growers who are trying to use a high ratio of coco to other materials and are using natural or organic style fertilizers instead of bottled salt base fertilizers.

I did not do more than follow a few links but there are growers using coco and feeding molasses to their microbes. If I am understanding right they inoculate the coco very early in the grow. Makes sense since coco is an organic material and it will eventually decompose. I have also read and run into some who use a coco medium and they mix in a bit of peat. That mix would allow the microbes a surface to live on.

Then there are the growers who are trying to use a high ratio of coco to other materials and are using natural or organic style fertilizers instead of bottled salt base fertilizers.
Yes you can use unsulphured molasses in coco. I have a bottle of molasses and a block of coco waiting on my next grow.

@jaynewbie was asking. It looks like it can be a growing method.
Growers have their own way of using coco. Some use straight coco and perlite, others elect to use coco and peat or ProMix but make sure you have the right amount of calcium in your mix. Also make sure you wash your coco or have a pre-washed coco.

Ah , that makes sense. I'd usually stick to 50% coco and 50% perlite.
I'm trying to replace GHE sweet nectar when molasses is affordable.
Maybe i can try to replace it, but since i'm using perlite. Technically, it will stick on the perlite because i'm practicing daily feed with 10% runoff.
Is it a good risk to try on my next grow?

Maybe i can try one out of my 4 plants which im planning to grow. I read for soil it has great outcome but no google search for coco with molasses unless it's foliar feeding which i don't practice because it can cause burn on the leaves.

Growers have their own way of using coco. Some use straight coco and perlite, others elect to use coco and peat or ProMix but make sure you have the right amount of calcium in your mix. Also make sure you wash your coco or have a pre-washed coco.

My coco is usually washed from my seller, all i know when i test the pH it's usually 6.2 just perfect to grow with 50% perlite.
I'd usually add vermiculin on top of it. I wouldn't want to waste the molasses while i also practicing daily runoff

Plants make sugar not consume it. It's a payoff for the soil microbes in exchange for breaking down minerals into a plant consumable form.
Adding sugar to your feed benefits the soil biology (which should be treated as a grow on its own) Which benefits the end product.
I use a micobial supplement that has molasses in it but also amend my coco with worm castings which are also full of microbes. So much that i started my own vermicomposting bin!

Maybe i can try one out of my 4 plants which im planning to grow. I read for soil it has great outcome but no google search for coco with molasses unless it's foliar feeding which i don't practice because it can cause burn on the leaves.
It should not cause leaf burn. It is just a sugar mixed in with the water. Yes, salt based fertilizers might burn if the water drop dries while on the leaf. But a foliar feed would not work since the plant will not be able to do anything with the sugars in the molasses.

Not sure why you could not find anything for coco with molasses while doing a google search. I used the keywords of:
feeding molasses to coco coir grow

The idea that a drop of water all by itself will somehow cause a burn spot is something I just cannot buy. It does not happen outside in sunlight so why would it happen inside? When I to look it up and try to find examples all that I come across is anecdotal evidence. The evidence that goes something like this "My uncle's barber's wife said that her bus driver said that....". I just cannot find documented references that this happens or is a problem.

It should not cause leaf burn. It is just a sugar mixed in with the water. Yes, salt based fertilizers might burn if the water drop dries while on the leaf. But a foliar feed would not work since the plant will not be able to do anything with the sugars in the molasses.

Not sure why you could not find anything for coco with molasses while doing a google search. I used the keywords of:
feeding molasses to coco coir grow

The idea that a drop of water all by itself will somehow cause a burn spot is something I just cannot buy. It does not happen outside in sunlight so why would it happen inside? When I to look it up and try to find examples all that I come across is anecdotal evidence. The evidence that goes something like this "My uncle's barber's wife said that her bus driver said that....". I just cannot find documented references that this happens or is a problem.
Smoking Wings I agree with you. I think what jaynewbie is referring to is leaf rust. Plants that are watered at night can pick this up. I have only heard of this happening outdoors when watering at night and splashing water from the soil onto the leaves. Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom