More Light More Growth Myth

Ouch
Haven't had to run a gen for a year now,and hate running ext cords thru doors.
I wonder how LED grow lights react to E-Gens wave form or are you using hps lights
You got scorpions ?
All the best

Ouch
Haven't had to run a gen for a year now,and hate running ext cords thru doors.
I wonder how LED grow lights react to E-Gens wave form or are you using hps lights
You got scorpions ?
All the best
I've got 4 288.2 Quantum Boards plus a 6-inch iPower fan to power which is for 2 4x2 tents. I'm growing the colas like lollypops in the 7 gallons (instead of topping to turn that single one into 4 or more) to cram them all in one tent. The other is a scrog that are cuttings from the lollypopping that just got a screen (tallest was 2 foot tall so it was time to smash it all down and start tucking) and will be flipped in 6 or more weeks (I want cuttings from it for when the colas are done and that tent needs plants).
I run the lights at night (lower power cost) normally so that was when the air conditioning is off.
I ran my freezer plus my "entertainment center " which is an unlimited data plan phone connected to a travel router for home internet so I can use my laptops, of which one is used like a cable box connected to my TV (I sign up for never-ending free trials of HuluLive/Spotify/Acorn TV for my "channels"; I just MAC spoof between sign-ups and the streamers have no idea I have just had one); the neighbors were watching TV in their SUV while I was watching STARZ westerns and FNC on my TV in the living room.
I just used a cooler for milk/eggs instead of the fridge so I really did not even strain the generator (3500 watts).

BtW, what do you (southerners?) use to kill intruders, if not a shotgun? Admittedly, as I discovered earlier this year, the homeowner can get hung up in doorways, but they seem work great as a deterrent, other than that.

Im pretty grateful to be able to hear gunshots from all directions at night time, it’s actually very comforting while sitting out on the porch knowing what a deterrent it is to intruders. No crimes to report in our area really. Nor protests:adore::bravo::rofl:

on the original topic though. I don’t particularly believe more light will make a plant have more growth. And when referring to more light the question still hasn’t been defined of brighter light or longer on periods... When in reference to intensity, there is a point when you can actually give plants too much light and stress them out, in some instances even “bleaching” the plants white. Before playing with light intensity you should have all other variables optimized in your room first to reap the most benefits from it. Simply adding more light won’t determine more growth either, although it is a general rule that what spectrum of light is used doesn’t impact the plant as much as increasing the number of photons the plant receives, playing with uv-a and uv-b certainly does have an impact on bud quality and density.. When speaking in terms of length of time on, this topic has much debate to be had for many years to come. But in my opinion, different types of plants are going to react differently, in simple laymen’s terms, an auto flower plant is going to benefit greatly from a 24/0 light period compared to a plant that doesn’t have ruderalis genes. I personally have experienced from multiple runs with northern lights, higher yields from plants that were vegged under 20/4 than plants I had vegged under 24/0. However, I have also experienced the opposite with other strains like c99 which has genes from Jack Herer, a very vigorous strain. It certainly is a topic of much debate and research to be had. But one has to remember, there will always be soo many variables to consider that your almost certain to never receive the same results twice.

Im pretty grateful to be able to hear gunshots from all directions at night time, it’s actually very comforting while sitting out on the porch knowing what a deterrent it is to intruders. No crimes to report in our area really. Nor protests:adore::bravo::rofl:

on the original topic though. I don’t particularly believe more light will make a plant have more growth. And when referring to more light the question still hasn’t been defined of brighter light or longer on periods... When in reference to intensity, there is a point when you can actually give plants too much light and stress them out, in some instances even “bleaching” the plants white. Before playing with light intensity you should have all other variables optimized in your room first to reap the most benefits from it. Simply adding more light won’t determine more growth either, although it is a general rule that what spectrum of light is used doesn’t impact the plant as much as increasing the number of photons the plant receives, playing with uv-a and uv-b certainly does have an impact on bud quality and density.. When speaking in terms of length of time on, this topic has much debate to be had for many years to come. But in my opinion, different types of plants are going to react differently, in simple laymen’s terms, an auto flower plant is going to benefit greatly from a 24/0 light period compared to a plant that doesn’t have ruderalis genes. I personally have experienced from multiple runs with northern lights, higher yields from plants that were vegged under 20/4 than plants I had vegged under 24/0. However, I have also experienced the opposite with other strains like c99 which has genes from Jack Herer, a very vigorous strain. It certainly is a topic of much debate and research to be had. But one has to remember, there will always be soo many variables to consider that your almost certain to never receive the same results twice.
Following is what the OP posted: " . . . . ‘rest’ after producing energy for 18 hours a day. Darkness is as important to the growth of most plants as light is! Your plant would get exhausted and burn out if you keep it under light all the time! "
And that is what I deemed as "weed forum myth"
I will repeat again, cannabis does not need "rest" because it is a C3.
If you do not believe Agronomy textbooks, how about Ed Rosenthal?
Certainly, you do not want to disagree with Ed, do you? :slide:

"By Ed Rosenthal - Wednesday, February 20 2002
Tags: Ask Ed,CC29,GROWING,Indoor,Lights.
What are the best cycles for vegetation and flowering?
What is the best light cycle during the vegetative stage, 18/6 or 24/?
And which one will help the ladies go into their flowering cycle with the less stress?

Lamp Lighter,
New Brunswick, CT

Marijuana plantes photosynthesize as long as they receive light as well as water, air, nutrients and suitable temperature. Photosynthesis is the process in which plants use the energy from light (primarily in the blue and red spectrums) to combine carbon dioxide (CO2) from the air and water (H2O) to make sugar while releasing oxygen to the air.

Plants use sugars continuously to fuel metabolic processes (living) as well as for tissue building. The plant combines nitrogen (N) with the sugar to make amino acids, the building blocks of proteins. They are the substance of plant tissue. When the light is off, the plant's metabolic processes, respiration and growth, continue.

The plant can photosynthesize continuously so it produces the most energy and growth when the light is on, continuously. Continuous light does not stress the plant, which reacts somewhat mechanistically to it.

Plants under an 18-6 light-dark regimen are producing sugar only three quarters of the time. They are thus growing at only 75% of their potential. Leaving the light on continuously will result in bigger plants, faster, which leads to higher yields.

Readers with grow questions (or answers) should send them to Ed at: Ask Ed, PMB 147, 530 Divisadero St., San Francisco, California 94117, USA
You can also email Ed at AskEd@quicktrading.com, and send queries via his website at Quick Trading Company.
All featured questions will be rewarded with a copy of Ed's The Big Book of Buds from Quick Trading.
Sorry, Ed cannot send personal replies to your questions. "

Stretch is very dependent on darkness which is why you want some but weed does not sleep.

Wait a minute :bongrip:
I forget the wording of the question on light now the thread is so tangled up ..as mentioned by a few others ..many factors or variable,changing conditions affect the plant.
Following is what the OP posted: " . . . . ‘rest’ after producing energy for 18 hours a day. Darkness is as important to the growth of most plants as light is! Your plant would get exhausted and burn out if you keep it under light all the time! "

And which one will help the ladies go into their flowering cycle with the less stress?

Lamp Lighter,
New Brunswick, CT

Marijuana plantes photosynthesize as long as they receive light as well as water, air, nutrients and suitable temperature. Photosynthesis is the process in which plants use the energy from light (primarily in the blue and red spectrums) to combine carbon dioxide (CO2) from the air and water (H2O) to make sugar while releasing oxygen to the air.

Plants use sugars continuously to fuel metabolic processes (living) as well as for tissue building. The plant combines nitrogen (N) with the sugar to make amino acids, the building blocks of proteins. They are the substance of plant tissue. When the light is off, the plant's metabolic processes, respiration and growth, continue.

The plant can photosynthesize continuously so it produces the most energy and growth when the light is on, continuously. Continuous light does not stress the plant, which reacts somewhat mechanistically to it.

Plants under an 18-6 light-dark regimen are producing sugar only three quarters of the time. They are thus growing at only 75% of their potential. Leaving the light on continuously will result in bigger plants, faster, which leads to higher yields.

Readers with grow questions (or answers) should send them to Ed at: Ask Ed, PMB 147, 530 Divisadero St., San Francisco, California 94117, USA
You can also email Ed at AskEd@quicktrading.com, and send queries via his website at Quick Trading Company.
All featured questions will be rewarded with a copy of Ed's The Big Book of Buds from Quick Trading.

Stretch is very dependent on darkness which is why you want some but weed does not sleep.
Thanks for that Elvin,
While reading your post ,I couldn't help thinking of the dinosaurs and their plight with plants,growth,and sunshine cycles thousands of century ago.
I did sign on at Ed's blog,and downloaded his book.
The farm looks inviting :lot-o-toke:

24 hours days with 24 hour nights might cause a problem with Cannabis grow periods,but Ed has a plan up his sleave I bet

I'm growing the colas like lollypops in the 7 gallons (instead of topping to turn that single one into 4 or more) to cram them all in one tent. The other is a scrog that are cuttings from the lollypopping that just got a screen (tallest was 2 foot tall so it was time to smash it all down and start tucking) and will be flipped in 6 or more weeks (I want cuttings from it for when the colas are done and that tent needs plants).

Um ya,the lolly stick sounds great in my mind for these Acid fems.
If they hit 3 ft , a four stem lolli might work since they arent spreading out yet,but its my first grow.
The Acid fems are in week 6 now and I am so pleased..lol.. must have a celebration again,it being Monday
/
What strain are you cultivating now?

Attachments

• 20200813_150554.jpg
    20200813_150554.jpg
    875.9 KB · Views: 33
A 24/0 veg will turn a normally 7-foot tall plant into a short one which is why most do not do it with photos.
What's the point of a plant barely half as tall as normal and gobs of popcorn (that can't get light) if you do not trim the lower branches?
If you peruse the weed sites dedicated to Autos there are a lot of those guys who do 24/0. but I want stretch even though it is causing the GG#4 girls to be touching lights and that are less than 6 inches from the ceiling of a 7 ft. tent.

I'm growing the colas like lollypops in the 7 gallons (instead of topping to turn that single one into 4 or more) to cram them all in one tent. The other is a scrog that are cuttings from the lollypopping that just got a screen (tallest was 2 foot tall so it was time to smash it all down and start tucking) and will be flipped in 6 or more weeks (I want cuttings from it for when the colas are done and that tent needs plants).

Um ya,the lolly stick sounds great in my mind for these Acid fems.
If they hit 3 ft , a four stem lolli might work since they arent spreading out yet,but its my first grow.
The Acid fems are in week 6 now and I am so pleased..lol.. must have a celebration again,it being Monday
/
What strain are you cultivating now?
GG#4 that I bought, OG Kush and Amnesia that were freebie seeds and some Purple Kush that were replacements (Crop King had a bad batch with really bad cold germ at one time and they replaced a couple of years ago that I needed to pop before they died)
I've got cuttings from all of that in another tent that are under a SCROG screen vegging. Those are in a big rectangle grow bag because I was too lazy to bother with planting each pot of cuttings in their own bag
The dimensions say it is over 30 gallons.
I'll start harvesting in maybe 6-7 weeks so I'll make more cuttings from the SCROG tent just before I flip them and pop some Girl Scout Cookies plus whatever the freebies are. I figure why top to get 4 colas each on 3 plants when I can sew up 10 or 11-inch diameter cloth and make it around 1.5 feet tall (you have over 7 gallons of volume) and just stuff a lot of them in your tent and grow a single big cola with each plant?
I have 9 bags in the tent with enough room to get the air inlet to point at the floor to dry it.
GSC is 420NewGuys seeds who are once again accepting Visa. They are a 420 sponsor.
2 seeds plus 2 free seeds (their choice) are under $40 ($12 for the seeds plus tracked shipping and a fee to process the VISA card) delivered from Reno NV; not Canada or Europe!!! Cheap tracked shipping is 2-3 days to me.

So run an 18/6 cycle and do lolli for cola,ya thats what im thinkin,since im just starting and need clones.
Just may not top it,and let it rise up..see what is candu
These Acid babys have are throwing healthy starters

GG#4 that I bought, OG Kush and Amnesia that were freebie seeds and some Purple Kush that were replacements (Crop King had a bad batch with really bad cold germ at one time and they replaced a couple of years ago that I needed to pop before they died)
I've got cuttings from all of that in another tent that are under a SCROG screen vegging. Those are in a big rectangle grow bag because I was too lazy to bother with planting each pot of cuttings in their own bag
The dimensions say it is over 30 gallons.
I'll start harvesting in maybe 6-7 weeks so I'll make more cuttings from the SCROG tent just before I flip them and pop some Girl Scout Cookies plus whatever the freebies are. I figure why top to get 4 colas each on 3 plants when I can sew up 10 or 11-inch diameter cloth and make it around 1.5 feet tall (you have over 7 gallons of volume) and just stuff a lot of them in your tent and grow a single big cola with each plant?
I have 9 bags in the tent with enough room to get the air inlet to point at the floor to dry it.
GSC is 420NewGuys seeds who are once again accepting Visa. They are a 420 sponsor.
2 seeds plus 2 free seeds (their choice) are under $40 ($12 for the seeds plus tracked shipping and a fee to process the VISA card) delivered from Reno NV; not Canada or Europe!!! Cheap tracked shipping is 2-3 days to me.
Ok,I guess I mis-read or mis-understood your lollipop method,which I recently read about how to,but absorbing the differences seemed easy.
Now manifold or flex is not lollipoping althou similar depending of course on the cultivators .
So lollipop is one mass cola on one stalk
Manifold & flex have multi-colas off the main stalk
Right ? Close ?

Ok,I guess I mis-read or mis-understood your lollipop method,which I recently read about how to,but absorbing the differences seemed easy.
Now manifold or flex is not lollipoping althou similar depending of course on the cultivators .
So lollipop is one mass cola on one stalk
Manifold & flex have multi-colas off the main stalk
Right ? Close ?
Actually "lollypopping" is done because with light does not reach that first 2 or 3 feet of the plant so all those branches go. Then you bare the remaining side branches except for the ends.
Because I did not top that main cola it is not turned into multiple main colas (all smaller than that single one will be) with each of those with their own side branches. If I had topped 3 plants twice I would fill the tent that way but I'm getting a lot of variety this way. I have more than 3 varieties going after all.
In fact, 3 of mine occupies the same space as 1 plant that has been topped a couple of times. But instead of a single plant in a 7-gallon bag trying to feed all those colas from 7 gallons I'm in 3 of those bags (21+ gallons in total) so my single Cola is going to be "slightly" larger than one of those on that single plant :ganjamon: 9 bags at 7 gallons each is a lot of dirt (and my SCROG tent has a single 30+ gallon rectangle bag) even with perlite BTW. I'm glad it is from the ground not a bag because that would be costly.
Think of my plants as the main Cola with a few side branches (to provide some leaves to feed the main).
I will have no popcorn because the lower small flowers are not being allowed to grow; just the end of branches hence the term "lollypop".

So your setting up this massive cola and entering it into the World's Largest Cola Contest. kool man..Whats the bud record havested from one cola?
Pic not mine but have it in my journal for reference.
This image appears to be a lolli
The second image i am not sure hut would say manifold because it has many cola,
but the lower part of the foto is not shown,so it could be 4 separate plants

Attachments

• Lollipop.jpg
    Lollipop.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 28
  • cold-temps-larfy-buds-sm.jpg
    cold-temps-larfy-buds-sm.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 27
So your setting up this massive cola and entering it into the World's Largest Cola Contest. kool man..Whats the bud record havested from one cola?
Pic not mine but have it in my journal for reference.
This image appears to be a lolli
The second image i am not sure hut would say manifold because it has many cola,
but the lower part of the foto is not shown,so it could be 4 separate plants
Not going to be the "world's largest" by any stretch but I'm not wasting time by topping a couple of times.
Here is a picture of GG#4 that hasn't been lollypopped and was topped a few times but it will give you an idea of what the Sativa leaning pheno's do
gg4c.jpg

Lamp Lighter,
New Brunswick, CT

Well I never did specifically say I don’t believe in agronomy or Ed, however I do believe the question has too many variables to be able to adequately answer to be completely honest. I know it’s a big argument that plants photosynthesize as long as they have light, but if that’s the case, why have I had multiple crops that have yielded more weight with a 20/4 schedule than their sisters that came from the same mother, that were under 24/0, then flowered together in the same room after vegging the same exact time?. 10% average more roughly to be exact consistently over a 4 crop cycle. I’ve also had opposite results with another strain.. Genetics certainly play a big role, as with every other aspect of growing, the bottom line usually comes down to genetics from my personal experience. I know I’m no career gardener or scientist but I do have over 10 years of consistent growing under my belt, surely that counts for something other than an expensive hobby :rofl:

Well I never did specifically say I don’t believe in agronomy or Ed, however I do believe the question has too many variables to be able to adequately answer to be completely honest. I know it’s a big argument that plants photosynthesize as long as they have light, but if that’s the case, why have I had multiple crops that have yielded more weight with a 20/4 schedule than their sisters that came from the same mother, that were under 24/0, then flowered together in the same room after vegging the same exact time?. 10% average more roughly to be exact consistently over a 4 crop cycle. I’ve also had opposite results with another strain.. Genetics certainly play a big role, as with every other aspect of growing, the bottom line usually comes down to genetics from my personal experience. I know I’m no career gardener or scientist but I do have over 10 years of consistent growing under my belt, surely that counts for something other than an expensive hobby :rofl:
Believe what you want, I do not care; I really don't.
I am sticking with the science that one can easily find in the expensive textbooks that I had to buy. I'm sorry, but the people with PhD's who write them (and teach at very expensive colleges) know a lot more about this topic than you do or me.
Ed agrees with me, but like I shared; I do not care what you want to believe.

Believe what you want, I do not care; I really don't.
I am sticking with the science that one can easily find in the expensive textbooks that I had to buy. I'm sorry, but the people with PhD's who write them (and teach at very expensive colleges) know a lot more about this topic than you do or me.
Ed agrees with me, but like I shared; I do not care what you want to believe.
I certainly believe and respect a lot of the research that people have done, and certainly no hard feelings, I can agree to disagree :thumb:
I’ll always read or hear what people have to say, you can learn something from everyone. I take my notes from personal experiences, and also from people who have grown for decades longer than me that are capable of beauties like these

Attachments

• 93FC2D18-6201-4449-BAAA-AB0A3C4C0C18.jpeg
    93FC2D18-6201-4449-BAAA-AB0A3C4C0C18.jpeg
    1,008.9 KB · Views: 38
By more light you are discussing the duration of light not strength of light? I would say more light as in stronger light will give more growth but yes plants need the rest period agree 100%
Actually the question should have had more detail in it,but it was a good refresh for me,and I learned alot about artificial light and how cannabis responds.
roaming stoner analogy of a model T Ford at a Nascar race is spot on.
So we cant say more light anymore..ok ?
More has many variables
Thank you all for a great thread

Light is not as simple as one might think,and trying to explain in a paragraph is difficult. Turn it on or turn it off,well my timer wasnt cheap and saves me the pains of monitoring one important item.
An 18/6 or 12\12 slide sw makes it simple.
The Sun has great advantages but also other changing enviro factors to deal with.
Depends where you are located to.
With climate change farming is getting more difficult.Laws are changing to protect farmers from vegans protesting on animal rights.
Typing on a vitual keyboard damm,takes away from thought patterns..no wonder my arizer is on charge again.
Heading for the grocery store..wish me luck,its getting scarier out there,and now the hurricanes threaten.
Captured a lady bug yesterday and she is enjoying the tent but I left the zipper open for her.
Good luck with that grow peeps :goodjob:
Sunbeams

Back
Top Bottom