More Light More Growth Myth

Herby Green

• :idea:Does more light mean more growth?
No, more light does not mean more growth, especially when it comes to growing weed indoors. Marijuana plants require a cooldown period as well, so that they can ‘rest’ after producing energy for 18 hours a day. Darkness is as important to the growth of most plants as light is! Your plant would get exhausted and burn out if you keep it under light all the time!

By more light you are discussing the duration of light not strength of light? I would say more light as in stronger light will give more growth but yes plants need the rest period agree 100%

One way in which plants are categorized is by the way they gather and handle carbon dioxide. Cannabis is a C3 plant. It uses the CO2 it gathers during the light period, when it is photosynthesizing. Plants designated C4 also gather CO2 during the dark period for use during the light period. Many C3 plants, including cannabis, do not need a rest period. They continue to photosynthesize as long as they are receiving light.

• :idea:Does more light mean more growth?
No, more light does not mean more growth, especially when it comes to growing weed indoors. Marijuana plants require a cooldown period as well, so that they can ‘rest’ after producing energy for 18 hours a day. Darkness is as important to the growth of most plants as light is! Your plant would get exhausted and burn out if you keep it under light all the time!
That's bull crap plants do not need a rest just scroll through my media.

I always use a 24/0 light schedule the first 3 to 4 weeks with lights dimmed to about 300-350 PPFD.
Then go to 20/4 for 2 weeks at about 400-500 PPFD then a week at 18/6 then a week at 16/8 at about 500-600 PPFD.
Week 8 I flip to flower 12/12 and depending on cultivar go with about 600 - 700 PPFD for 2 weeks then if the plant can handle it go to 800-900PPFD the final couple weeks.

The only time the plant really needs a rest period is just before flipping to flower and obviously all through flower.

Your main concern is getting the right Daily Light Intergral which in flower should be between 30 to 40 moles per 12 hour period.
Thats between 700 to 900 umols of light.

And your pot, root mass, nutrition level, and transpiration need to match the light or you will get deficiencies or toxicities if your plant available nutrients can't keep up with how much light the plant is using.

Stunned is spot on... photos and autos can grow with 24 hours of light and no dark period at all.

When you veg regular strains for 24 hrs a day. Stretch will be more when you drop the lights back for flower. I don't know how it works but it does. My mentor has used the fact to his advantage at times. If you know how your strain stretches it shouldn't ever be a problem. With unknown strains you may unleash a stretch monster LOL.

I find it easier to just let them stretch normally. The only plant I had that stretched out of control was veged under 24 hrs of light because of cold temps. It finished being taller than the light was lol. If I did not have a wide tent I would have had to bend it over.

The biggest reason for an 18/6 schedule is not to give the plants rest, but to give your poor electricity bill a rest :laughtwo:
I typically schedule my 6 hours of lights out when electricity rates are at their highest during the day

I schedule my light period when the sun is out and my solar panels are generating at their peek. Longer light works fine... I've ran AUTOs 24/0 before. Costy tho and didn't make a bigger yield either. 18/6 same with my VEG plants and AUTOs in the same room.

The only time the plant really needs a rest period is just before flipping to flower and obviously all through flower

Moving forward..good to know Nonyabiz
The myth wasnt mine..justsoyallno :cough:
A 1kw led fixture maxed only draws equivalent of a 100 watt bulb,so hydro expense is not a problem for me.
Heat is also not a problem in a 2.5' square tent,just open the zipper or turn on #2 fan to atmos,but great feedback yall..appreciate it ❤

Every living thing needs a rest..lol :thanks:

bobrown
Do you have batteries on your solar inverter or just use all flowing current ?

nonyabiz
makes sense at flip but more a strong signal than a rest

You can pump the gas pedal, but if the tank is empty it starves

By more light you are discussing the duration of light not strength of light? I would say more light as in stronger light will give more growth but yes plants need the rest period agree 100%
Yes, the duration or time lights on was the question,but if the strength is inadequate,more time is required.
A 1kw led feeds a 3x3 area veg & flower.

Lets assume the grower has substantial lumens or moles over the plant directly under the light.
If SCROG or SOG then area of light dispersed would be less depending on the height of the light from the plant.Totally too many scenario's :snowboating:Lets Say we word it this way or just CHILL :lot-o-toke:
Twenty four hours of light can prevent a plant from effectively carrying out the respiration process.
Anyone know if cannabis can breath in the dark?

Arizer :volcano-smiley:

Just an example here used in industry
A 500 watt MH disperses well at 30 feet if the glass diffuser is adequate.
#Refractory
MH MV Halogen or Sodium all lose strength over time.
IR tubes used for water purification are only effective for 1 yr.
A 200 watt incandescent bulb will grow an apple seed plant 200 feet underground easily :goodjob:

I only use 18 hours of veg light to try and keep my bill under 1k$ a month. A good month for me is 550-650 :(

My average lighting cost per month is about $22
LEDs are amazing. My whole 3 tent setup- lights, fans and all uses about 700w. Barely even notice it in the electric bill, and sooo much easier to keep the room the correct temp.

One way in which plants are categorized is by the way they gather and handle carbon dioxide. Cannabis is a C3 plant. It uses the CO2 it gathers during the light period, when it is photosynthesizing. Plants designated C4 also gather CO2 during the dark period for use during the light period. Many C3 plants, including cannabis, do not need a rest period. They continue to photosynthesize as long as they are receiving light.
Great answer :bravo:
Ok,so its a MYTH then for plants other than C3 types,but only under the plants natural requirements for survival.
The question wasn't a test,since I wasn't aware of the C grouping.
So many variables..:thedoubletake:
Arizer

Back
Top Bottom