Mother of Berries, M.O.B. Maine Strain

That's something else we need to pay attention to. There's a measure called DLI = Daily Light Integral. It's the intensity * duration. The plants respond to the total amount of light in a day, so when we drive them with a lot of light and a long duration, ie 20 hours, we can easy supply more light than they can use.

And yup, like Duggan said, if you have more light than you need, just mount them high. You get a deeper canopy that way, and the light intensity increases naturally as the plants grow up to the light. I have gobs of illumination and I get good early growth at 3 feet, with great color - no fade. :slide:

That is the quote from Graytail in another brixxers thread. He did not provide links but has been asked to. if I see them get posted I will make sure to pass them on.

I did a quick search for "Daily Light Integral" and the first page looks like it has a lot of good hits. I don't have anything specific to link to. The requirement varies by plant, of course - ferns need less than corn, etc - and Icemud did a lot of work a couple years ago, and that's still here to search for. Yeah, "daily light integral" posts by author Icemud should get you there, just tried it.

Now to headroom and canopy depth ...

I've posted this here and there whenever it comes up. I'm confused that Fluence or anyone else would recommend 6 inches of headroom. :hmmmm: We all know that intensity diminishes at the square of the increase in distance. The Law says that if you double the headroom, you lose 75% of the intensity - 4X less. If you have 1200 umols at 6 inches, you get 300 umols at 12 inches. In real life, and especially with a widely dispersed source like Samsung panels, you get 1/3 to 1/2 the intensity. Icemud and others with meters have done the measurements. So ...

Our plants want about 1200 umols. They can't use more than that unless environmental conditions are close to perfect and you supplement with CO2. They need a minimum of 500 for good growth. If you start with 1200 umols and you double the headroom, you'll get about 400-600 umols, just right for the bottom of a canopy. That's your effective canopy depth.

If you start at 6 inches and double to 12 inches, you have a canopy that is 6 inches deep, right? If you start at 3 feet and double that to 6 feet, you have a canopy that's 3 feet deep, right? So, how is a 6 inch canopy good? That's fine for early veg, but ...

I'm running enough light to provide 1200 umols at 2 feet, so my canopy is 2 feet deep, reaching down to 4 feet from the source. I get solid nugs 2 feet down into the canopy. Of course, that require a lot more light in the first place, but with the efficiency of the Samsung panels I can do it without all the heat.

Anyway, your headroom roughly equals your effective canopy depth, so more headroom is better.

:Namaste:

This is his response to the request for links.

Hi All,

Week 3 Day 5 (Skunk Kush) starting to show some vigor now. Once the plants develop a little more I'll provide more detailed images of each plant. I'm thinking of adding a high nitrogen fertilizer like 12-0-0 as I'll be vegging for a while (see below) A few weeks before flowering I thought I might add bone meal to boost flowering. I temporarily removed the blue light to let the plants get slightly larger so I can use it for side lighting. (Goose-neck lamp does not reach down far enough to come close to plants and raising 25 gallon pots is easier said than done especially without creating heat problems.)
Above I mentioned a long veg. I'm aiming for 12 weeks and according to my records will end on July 20th (the last day of week 12). I'll be improving tent conditions as they grow.

(For anyone new here) Some may find it odd that I'm growing in four 25 gallons and one 5 gallon. I've read all kinds of things around the internet but what I've come to notice especially from the previous plant (OG Kush) the root system from the previous plant was larger than the 5 gallon pot so we are just kind of watching to see how each plant fairs (root bound in 5 gallon has been contemplated) we will see what happens. As for the peculiar 25 gallon size, it's just the pot I choose to grow in.

Skunk Kush Week 4, Day 1. 8 Weeks until flowering (July 20th). Growth is becoming evident. Temps have on average been around 73. Picking up some kind of supplement this week. I have been contemplating the "Advanced Nutrient" trio pack. I've done the fox farm thing before and want to try something different (hopefully better)

I used AN in just Promix and did not have that great of results. I mean i grew ok plants but not great. I def did better with Fox Farms honestly. I had a buddy that grew in Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil with the whole line up of Fox Farm nutes, bottles and dry nutes, and he did even better than i did. In the end I found AN to be too expensive for the results I got. They definitely do better in an inert medium or in hydro IMO. I would suggest General Organics but they are owned by Scotts just like a lot of cannabis nutrients are starting to be.

In topping I just chop the top and leave a bit of stem and wait a few weeks before flipping (not doing for a while anyway) has also considered “fim”. Any input would be helpful. I’ve watched many videos read a few threads always looking for more info before I do something.

Your post about topping confused me just a bit with what you were asking. You can either top or FIm depending on what you want to do. I always try to fim myselfc to try and get multiple tops instead of just 2. Sometimes I end up with two still and others I get 3 or 4. I grew out a NLxSkunk that put out 6 plus tops from every FIM, it was really nice to work with. If you want to just top it, decide where and cut right above a set off nodes and you will have 2 tops grow from those nodes. Sorry I do not have any pictures to help walk you through it.

I was just deciding what to do and looking for input. No problem on pics plenty elsewhere on internet and various video streaming sites. If you recommend FIM that’s what I’ll go with.

I recently started growing Mother of Berries (M.O.B) an indica strain on April 11th, 2017. I germinated using "Fox Farm" soil in a red "Solo Cup" as opposed to the "paper towel" or" leaving seeds in water overnight" methods, that is not to say I think they are inefficient or that I have anything against it I simply have always preferred germinating in soil. My grow is currently being done in a large pantry. As a medical user, the need for any degree of stealth is unnecessary. I have a "Sun Blazer" light by "Sun Systems" My photo period is currently 24-0

In my "Solo Cup" I had made an incision at the bottom for basic drainage and additional holes to allow for increased air flow and better drainage. It has been suggested to me that this is not a great concept as the roots may be drawn to the light and escape through the side holes. While this may be true, I have not experienced issues like this.

After allowing my sprout to develop for about a week I transferred it to a 10 gallon "Smart Pot" containing "Fox Farm" soil combined with sporadic layers of "Coast of Maine: Stonington Blend" Organic plant food that contains lobster meal, kelp, etc. I also use 1 cap per gallon of "Dyna-Grow" liquid plant food. My (current) combined nutrient levels are 12-11-9. I have included photos of the life of the plant since transplant to the date of this post.

I keep a spray bottle handy for a few reasons. 1. General Misting 2. In the event I somehow get nutes on my leaves I can immediately 'cleanse' the area quickly. Spray bottles are also great tools in the event you need to perform a transplant whether it be for an emergency or some other reason. You will notice in one of the photos you see Aluminum foil. I use this for extremely short periods to help boost light reception around the bottom of my plants.

420-magazine-mobile1385562058.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1269859419.jpg

420-magazine-mobile224199892.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1330532745.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1583797337.jpg

420-magazine-mobile24467134.jpg
420-magazine-mobile941637188.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1073314215.jpg
I find that rotating my plant each day seems to be helpful in providing more of a well balanced light distribution by ensuring parts that may not have gotten any or at least as much in the previous 24 hours. I study pics regularly and look for anything I can do.
420-magazine-mobile513855340.jpg
Fantastic seedlings, normally the start like these is most likely to be a great plant or plants in this case.

I was just deciding what to do and looking for input. No problem on pics plenty elsewhere on internet and various video streaming sites. If you recommend FIM that’s what I’ll go with.
Some strains respond well and others not so much. But you typically get at least 2 tops and then if you are lucky you get more. So I always think it is worth a shot trying to get more out of a topping than 2 if possible.

As stated in my previous post. The plants seem to be turning some kind of blue. I'll be doing research on it to see whats' going on. I know some strains do this and some change from temp shock. To my knowledge, these have not experienced anything of the sort and according to the breeder (Growers Choice, 420 sponsor). I haven't done anything unusual or different than I normally do. In a much less interesting note, I did order the fox farm nutrients today and will prep for use as soon as it arrives (Sunday). Also, will be topping/fimming the plants on/about the same time so it has more efficient recovery environment (with nutrients as opposed to without) are there any specific ideal time during the day or environmental condition in which to do either of these? (early morning or late afternoon, before or after watering, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom