Mr. SA Indoor Swazi 12/12

you have to go with lummens not watts with cfls they get confusing

Isn it the more light the better?, i cant see the lummen on the box? but i got a 45watt cfl aswell for my case. now that adds up to about 120 watts of clf, so thats about 600watts of cool white clf. I know that the 45watt has a 4000k light spectrum:popcorn:

Yes your right, the more light the better. We just have no way of knowing exactly how much light you have if we only know the wattage. The luminosity of the bulbs will vary depending on the manufacturer. Unlike other bulb types, there is no direct wattage to lumen ratio for CFL. On average though, here are some vague measurements.
CFL's that are equivalent to _____ incandescent....
23 watt CFL - 100 watt equiv = 1600 lumens
30 watt CFL - 125 watt equiv = 2000 lumens
40 watt CFL - 200 watt equiv = 2650 lumens
55 watt CFL - 250 watt equiv = 3600 lumens
65 watt CFL - 300 watt equiv = 4000 lumens
Now remember these are SINGLE blulb measurments. So 3 30 watt CFL's would put out aprox. 6000 lumens and use 90 watts, But 4 23 watt CFL's would put out 6400 lumens and use 92 watts. There's an extra 400 lumens but only a 2 watt increase in power consumption. Two 65 watt CFL's put out 8000 lumens but use 130 watts! Choose your lights wisely, it will pay off. These numbers will not work for all CFL's, this is where the manufacturer comes into play. For an example, I have seen both 23 watt and 27 watt CFL's that have a 100 watt incandescent equivalent.
btw in-case your wondering what a lumen is, it's a measure of the perceived power of light.

Yes your right, the more light the better. We just have no way of knowing exactly how much light you have if we only know the wattage. The luminosity of the bulbs will vary depending on the manufacturer. Unlike other bulb types, there is no direct wattage to lumen ratio for CFL. On average though, here are some vague measurements.
CFL's that are equivalent to _____ incandescent....
23 watt CFL - 100 watt equiv = 1600 lumens
30 watt CFL - 125 watt equiv = 2000 lumens
40 watt CFL - 200 watt equiv = 2650 lumens
55 watt CFL - 250 watt equiv = 3600 lumens
65 watt CFL - 300 watt equiv = 4000 lumens
Now remember these are SINGLE blulb measurments. So 3 30 watt CFL's would put out aprox. 6000 lumens and use 90 watts, But 4 23 watt CFL's would put out 6400 lumens and use 92 watts. There's an extra 400 lumens but only a 2 watt increase in power consumption. Two 65 watt CFL's put out 8000 lumens but use 130 watts! Choose your lights wisely, it will pay off. These numbers will not work for all CFL's, this is where the manufacturer comes into play. For an example, I have seen both 23 watt and 27 watt CFL's that have a 100 watt incandescent equivalent.
btw in-case your wondering what a lumen is, it's a measure of the perceived power of light.

Wow dude great post! that is allways good to know! I orderd 4 x 85watt CFL lights. The shopowner has never sold one before... lol but yeah ether tomorrow or on monday. But thats goin into another grow i am starting. 9m x 2.5m room. with long tube floresents.:ganjamon:

Thats next weeks mission:cool:

oh yeah! +reps for u!

Pictures comin in the morning:slide:

Thanks for the rep guys, just sharing knowledge ;)
85watts are big! lol. Four of them eh? Did you think about getting a single HPS instead? If so, why didn't you? All four of those things running at once is going to be blinding to look at haha.

I thought of it yes, and i figured, i dont have the money to buy the ballist of the light, so for the price of the balist (R1150) and the light (R100 400watt). And i pay R205 for the 85watt CFL's, then i can run 4 x 85watt for less than a 400watt HPS, and i can move them around as i wish and it would just be more comfortable than having one huge HPS sticking out or something. Also i am getting like 3-4 times the amount of light that i would get with a HPS, exept the color isn perfect. :)

i can only imagine the electric bill

Well, in theory, running the 4 x 85watt energysaver lights, i use less than an 400watt HPS light. If an HPS light uses 0.4Kw per hour, on an 12 hour schedule thats like 4.8kw that you use per day with an HPS. with the 4 x 85watt you would be using 340watt, so thats 0.34Kw per hour, x 12 hours, and that is just under 4kw a day. saving you about 1kw per day, x 60 days till harvest, saves u about 60kw per cycle, but 3 times the amount of light!:ganjamon:

Allmost forgot i had some pics on my phone. more tomorrow:ganjamon:

SNC00300.jpg

SNC00301.jpg

SNC00302.jpg

SNC00304.jpg

SNC00305.jpg

:rollit:

Your totally right about the cost of a HPS, they're a hella expensive. But I'm quite sure your mistaken about the light output :( The overall luminous efficiency (Lumen per Watt) of the most efficient fluorescent bulb, a electrodless lamp, is 100-120. That is followed by a T8 tube w/ electronic ballast, which is at 80-100. CFL's are the least efficient florescent bulbs with 9-26W CFL's ranging between 57-72.
Gas Discharge High Pressure Sodium Lamps (HPS) are quite efficient, putting out 85-150 lumens per watt. That being said the most efficient light is the Low Pressure Sodium Lamp (LPS) which puts out 100-200 lumens per watt.
BTW, I don't have all these figures memorized, I'm pulling this from wikipedia. Here's the article if you would like to read it yourself.
Scroll down about half way, there's a great chart. Candles only have an overall luminous efficiency of 0.04% !

the difference is in bud quality cfls produce lighter airy buds that still get you as high as HPS grown buds but HPS buds are much denser and have a much higher yield thats why I'm saving up for an A/C 600watt and L.S.D seeds A/C HPS lights can be placed alot closer than regular HPS lights which means more lumens and denser buds

Well i have to update my journal, havn had time lately between my plants and work, have a festival in my town now andam workin doubles and shit... anyway

all my plants have sexed so far exept for one, but my main baby is a lil bitch!!! yayness

i ahve toped and toped again my treem it now has 5 branches that are all being pulled to its own direction each with its own piece of wire pulling it. the plant is growing insanely!!!

I got an organic supercharger from my local flowershop, the stuff works insane!!! grows even faster than ever and the color couldn be better!

question

How long after showing sex does the flower start developing? And howlong from flower to budding?

On another note

I am planting about 50 plants in a forrest near my house, all are germing now adn want to see if i cant harvest before season changes, the plants will be in flowerstage outdoor for about 2-3 months during winter, will be small but just some fun. The supercharger i got i can dialute with water and i can soak the seeds in it for 24 hours and when i checked 6 hours later after putting them in a tupperware box in toilet paper with the lid on, 6 had 0.3cm taproots. 12 hours later, hal of the plants had taproots of about 1-1.5cm each....

supercharger WORKS!!!

Here we go.... im late for work so i wont say much, what do u guys think sofar? how long till they start making flowers? (all females)

as u can see i am LST'inf the shit out of my plants, the big one allready has 5 branches and there are more on their way :cheer:

:thanks:

SNC00303.jpg

SNC00305.jpg

SNC00306.jpg

SNC00309.jpg

SNC00313.jpg

SNC00314.jpg

SNC00315.jpg

SNC00317.jpg

SNC00320.jpg

SNC00322.jpg

question

How long after showing sex does the flower start developing? And howlong from flower to budding?

After she lifts up her skirt, growth will be rapid at first, then it slows down some before they swell up the last few weeks.

8 to 12 weeks depending on the strain. :popcorn:

you asked how long does it take for them to flower and i depends on you light schedule. i think 12/12 will make them start to flower

thanx fox!!

yeah and for that question, im askin gow long before they make the white hairs that wants to get polinated, the actual flower before the bud, i have a feeling it will be soon but im not sure... I have been onb 12/12 since day 14 so its been about two weeks on 12/12.

That is how i know the sex of the plant because it has started to go into the flowering phase.

Ppl stop lurking and give some input please

XD

Thanx bro! its my first grow so im putting a few hours a day into my babies... sumtimes u feel quite kak about ur plants if no one seems to pay any attention!

lol

thanx bra, every person hqas two eyes so yay two more eyes on my plants!

Back
Top Bottom