My First Grow Ever - Bag Seed - Lots To Learn!

Hey, MG... good call on drilling some holes in that pot, and I agree with ghetto on flushing the plant to give it a new start if something is bothering it. From what I've read, make the final flush PH correct.

As far as keeping them in flower so they knock you out cold....well, it seems that's what a lot of people do. I don't want my plants to do that to me, so although I'm a VERY NEW grower, (and have the reputation of harvesting early), I just may do that. It's raining all week where I live, so I don't want to harvest with so much moisture in the air....otherwise I'd be cutting down today.

Happy Growing :high-five:

Still frustrated by this leaf issue I am having on one of the plants.

8_16_16_leaf_issue1.jpg

8_16_16_leaf_issue2.jpg

Because this is my first grow I just don't know what to be worried about and what to do generally to fix it. Seeing the yellowing continue to progress in the center plant and also seeing what looks like a similar yellowing in a second plant I decided to take another swing at it. The second picture above shows a similiar coloration of a leaf on another plant. It's tougher to see in the led light but its the leaf in the cemter.

It looks like either a nute block or over feeding?

I flushed them all with ph 6.5- 6.8 water. The worse got 6-gallons in two waves while the best performer got 4 gallons and the smaller one got 2. I then fed all with full strength ff feed for 6 week of flower. 2 liters for all but the smallest which only got 1 liter. Going to try and leave alone for a couple days with hopes that the yellowing and/or burning at least slow up.

It's nice to see the flowers increase but it still seems a long way off from what I hope for. At least in terms of density. It's day 38 of 12/12.

8_16_16_all.jpg

Hello Everyone!

I have had a busy couple of days and will have a really busy week so won't be able to really post anything until next week end but I did want to check in and say hi. Here are the girls in Friday when they all got watered. I have decided to no longer feed them and just ride this out until harvest. Anyone think that is a bad idea?

Although this picture doesn't show it well, the other two plants are also showing some of the same symptoms of center (the left plant in the photo below) albeit to a much lesser extent.

8_19_16_all2.jpg

My major concern is still my center plant who has the pronounced leaf burn issue which may be normal... Here is the plant called center a little closer. You can see the leaf problem better.

8_19_16_center.jpg

Finally a close up of the flower on center. What scares me the most is the burning and dying of the leaves close to the buds. When those leaves in the buds die what do I do? Should I harvest before that?

8_19_16_flower1.jpg

Finally, I think I am closer to understanding what may have caused all this. When I watered on Friday the measured ph of my well water varied from 8.7 to 7.8. I am guessing that I over watered my plants in the past unknowingly with high ph water and that this high ph water say in that pot for too long due to the drainage issues that pot style has (and have been fixed with a couple holes drilled in the base). I think this may have starved the plant of some immobile nutes due to lock-out. Now that I am aware of PH though it should never happen again!!! I learned from this how important ph is which is awesome because I thought it was one of those things the recreational grower could ignore and get fine results anyway. Nope!

Be well everyone! I will be back on here in a week or so with some more pics and hopefully will be just days from harvest:Namaste:

You're in the home stretch now. The leaves at the top of the plant looks more like nute burn than the deficiency on the lower leaves. You still have plenty of leaf to power the plants to the end. I would just water them with ph correct water with at least 20% run-off until they are ready in a week or two if they were mine. Do you have a way to view the trichomes?

All good things must end. Bad things too. Like this first grow. It has been a real roller coaster ride and I have learned so much but it is now over. I harvested the plants 8/28 after 50-days of flowering. Here is what the ladies looked like right before cutting.

8_26_16_all_tent.jpg

8_27_16_left1.jpg

8_27_16_right1.jpg

I wanted to wait longer to harvest but I decided to cut for two reasons. One the heads on the glands of the plants were beginning to turn amber, more so on the upper buds than lower buds, and the leaf dying was progressing more an more and I was concerned about losing potency and damaging the buds.

Harvesting was probably the most fun part so far. Even though I felt the buds were too light and airy it was still really satisfying to see something that looked like a finished product. I wet trimmed all three plants over a two day period and admit that I was surpised how time consuming this part was. One plant easily took a couple hours and that is for these smaller, less dense plants. I can only imagine what it would be like for a large harvest! Here is what my processing area looked like.

8_26_16_harvest_station1.jpg

It was sad after the plants were cut. Looking at the still living stalk was a downer, but I tossed em in my compost bin and know that they will provide great nutes for future plants.

8_26_16_center1.jpg

I put the cuttings in brown bags and lacking a good place to keep them I put them on top of my tent in my basement to dry. I have them 5 days down there and then transferred to jars. At this point I have a about an ounce and a quarter of low to mid grade medicine.

8_26_16_harvest11.jpg

8_29_16_drying_place.jpg

9_3_16_Bag_Harvest.jpg

Thinking of using it mostly for joints? Maybe cooking?

In summary. This hobby is great. So much to learn. So many different aspects to play with. My second grow is in the flower tent now and I am hoping that this first grow means that the white widow I will be harvesting in 8 or so weeks will be much better than this round. The major lessons I learned and would impress upon others are these.

PH is important! So easy to take for granted, so important to the plants. If you spend money on nutes, lights, etc., spend money on a quality ph meter.

Temps really matter! I think my harvest this round was damaged by the higher temps in my grow tent. Couldn't much be helped as I have no ac in the grow area, but with daily highs in the tent of 85 - 90 I know my buds suffered. If I grow indoors next summer I will have to get some ac. Or if this winter goes well I may just take the next summer off from indoors growing and go with some outdoor autos?

Training is Cool! I loved LST and have enjoyed topping on my current second grow. I encourage everyone to try it, if only once because it really concretes the connections between the grower and the plant. Thanks for following everyone! I appreciate the help that has been offered and wish you all the best of luck in your own grows.

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom