My First Grow Ever - Bag Seed - Lots To Learn!

I wanted to let you guys know I upped the nutes to 1/2 strength yesterday after feeding the prior day at 1/4. I also tested the nute solution to be around 6.0 - 6.5 as you can see in the pic below.

7_29_16_All_PH.jpg

I am hopeful this is just a N def and that things will improve over the next couple days. If they don't I may up the feed even higher. Either way I will surely let you know. While feeding I also decided to pull most of the old LST wire that attached to the pot. It didn't really seem to be doing anything and I thought it would be better to have the increased access and air flow at the base of the plant. Given my height limitations I hope I am right and that this doesn't cause the girls to shoot up even more...

Here are some pictures of the girls. I am blown away by the growth surge that is happening during flowering right now. I am really happy to be learning so much.

7_29_16_right.jpg

7_29_16_left.jpg

7_29_16_center.jpg

7_29_16_all2.jpg

Hope you all have a great weekend!!!

They look great from a distance but when I pulled them all out of the tent today for a watering I could see some burning, yellowing leaves on the plants.

8_4_16_center_leaf_issue.jpg

More so on the two biggest plants. I think this might be because of the lights I added yesterday. Seemed like a good idea at the time. I had seen a pic of some CFL's hung in a tent as supplemental lighting for flowering plants so I wanted to try it. Here is what I did.

8_3_16_all_1.jpg

So it might be that. Or it is possibly too many salts built up in the soil or not enough food. If the leaves are still looking stressed I am going to leach them each and then refeed. They have been partially leached before but I hadn't been too concerned as I was feeding them weakly. I was kind of rushed doing this and forgot to shoot many pics. Here is the plant I fondly refer to as center since she was at the center of a line up in the first photo.

8_4_16_center1.jpg

8_4_16_center2.jpg

Don't want to mess things up at this point if I can help it.

Take Care

I guess I am in that phase of growing where not much exciting happens that is not negative. Two of my three plants are still chugging along quite well but the third, largest plant is having a problems.

8_8_16_leaf2.jpg

I have consulted fellow members, various online sources, and talked to friends and have narrowed it down to most likely a ph driven nute issue. Testing my run off water for this one plant shows a ph of 6 even when I pump in gallons of 6.6 solution.

8_8_16_ph_feed.jpg

Since I have only recently begun adjusting the ph of my feed, I am hoping that putting in 6.5 will get me the results I want and pull this plant out of the funk it finds itself in. If it does I should see improvement in the next few days.

So here are the ladies as of last night, all tucked in and watered and ready to sleep for the night.

8_8_1_all.jpg

...and here are the obligatory flower photos.

8_8_16_flower2.jpg

8_8_16_flower1.jpg

I am new to this, but not so new that I don't realize how tough of a question this is to ask, however ask I will. How much longer do you all think I might have before harvest? I'm in week 5 of flowering. Does anyone think they might be ready before September or is that impossible? I am under no time pressure, just excited to learn about the next phase of this process, harvesting and curing!!!

Your plants are doing great MG. You are like a parent with their first child. I remember that feeling with my first grow. You will learn how hearty and forgiving these plants are with more grows. Dirt Mcgert is spot on about the plant starting to use it's lower leaves for food.

Personally I stop feeding at about 6 weeks flower and my plants can look sickly and very yellow by harvest after eating their leaves. I would rather lose a few grams yield than have a plant with bright green healthy leaves all over it at harvest and it taste harsh and not burn good from all the nitrogen left in the plant.

Just my $0.02

Looking good. To give you an idea about harvest, my flowering girls are on day 47 of flower (that's counting when they first started flowering, not when they moved to a 12/12 schedule). I was thinking of starting to flush on day 50, and then giving it another week.
I noticed today that they are just starting to get some yellowing on the bottom leaves. I haven't given them anything but water for past week and they are very, very thirsty -- I water to run off every two days! I know that when they stop being so thirsty it will be closer to harvest. I'll post pictures this weekend (when they'll be day 51) if you want to compare. :high-five:

Happy August 12th! I wanted to update my journal although really not too much has happened. This phase of growing is, I am finding, quite difficult and trying on my patience. The only thing I really can do for the plants is to feed and water and fret. I worry about the size of the buds, the quality of the buds, how long before I can harvest, the general health of the plants. Ghetto is right on about feeling a like a parent with my first child. Concerned about doing everything perfectly, having no baseline to compare anything too, and having a roller coaster ride of excitement, anxiety and frustration. Well, without further delay here are the ladies as of yesterday!

8_11_16_all.jpg

They have filled in to fit my tent space well. I am ok with only three but part of me thinks a fourth could have worked. I have a little clone that I am thinking I am going to throw in there after giving it just a week or so of veg. Anyway, here are the pics of the individual girls when they were taken out today for watering.

Sickly Miss Center
8_11_16_center1.jpg

Ruby Right
8_11_16_right1.jpg

Lucky Little Left
8_11_16_left.jpg

I am very glad I bought those plant frame/grids and highly recommend them to anyone else looking for a compromise between scrog and freestyle. I laugh now thinking about how I was unsure whether the girls would even grow high enough to be in the grids. When they say double to triple in size it's no joke and make sure not to consider that if you LST the actual plant size will be likely less than how tall the plant thinks it is.

To keep the good vibes going here is a nice picture of some buds!

8_11_16_flower2.jpg

I am still uncomfortable with the plant health issue I have been having with the center plant. Things do not appear to have continued to deteriorate but there are still some yellow leaves on her (not just the normal lower level yellowing). I have done just about everything I can think of to do and at this point am just hoping that I have resolved the problem and she will slowly recover and make it to flower ok.

I do have a hunch about what happened though and I would like to share it with you all. You can let me know what you think.

8_11_16_leaf_issue.jpg

So the container that this plant is in is of the style that has a built in spillover dish attached to the bottom. So any over watering doesn't spill all over the place until it gets above that dish (maybe 1 to 2 inches high). When I've watered the plant in the past I make sure that I tip the whole thing over about 45 degrees so any pooled water in the dish pours out.

Well I think that I forget to do this tipping over at some point and water sat in that dish for a day or two. This would have been bad for a couple reasons that I can think of. First any roots sitting in that standing water would have likely drowned and died. Second, since the run-off of the water from that plant sits at about 6 ph it could have caused a nute lock out. That is what I think happened. So the other day after I realized this I took my drill and drilled some holes in the bottom of the plant container so any run off water could do just that and not pool.

8_5_16_drilled_hole.jpg

So I have to head to work but I hope everyone here is well and enjoying summer. I will check back in a few days.

Chow!

I just read your journal. Things are looking good. I think it's common to worry about every little thing but I'm doind less of it already. So I have some questions. Did you flip your plants into flower with your light cycles and bloom light or did they just go into flower? If they went into flower in their own then it's safe to say they are autoflower plants. When you mentioned feeding nutes you said you were using a dropper to apply the feed then watering. I've always dulited the nutes in water before applying them. Are you dulited give the FF nutes or applying them concentrated? If the latter, that might explain some of the leave discoloration. Is there a reason you aren't trimming back fan leaves since the plants are in flower? You want the light to penetrate down to the flowers.

Ok enough questions, you should feel good getting three girls and having them grow up as they have! :goodjob:

Good move drilling the holes for drainage. The Center plant looks like it could be a salts buildup blocking nutes. Have you flushed the plant? Pour 2-3 times the pot capacity through it with ph corrected water. I use 6.5ph when I flush and I don't do it as much as I should.

You still looking great though. You have nugz on the way! :thumb:

Hey ghetto I flushed the center plant with 4 gallons of uncorrected well water about a week or so ago. I did this before I was really clued into the importance of ph. Having tested ph since I would guess the ph of the well water used in the flush was around 7 - 7.5. I think that I may give a ph adjusted flush a try as my last ditch effort to turn her around. I think I will probably get some bud out of the center plant, but when I compare center to the other two plants I am seeing less dusting on the leaves around the bud so suspect the potency of the harvest will be diminished but I don't know. Since I am only growing for personal use though I guess I don't care that much of potency is lower. I generally vape but when getting together with other prescribed friends it is nice to roll a joint and it would be good to have a less potent medicine to use for that.

The days are going by so SLOWLY though! I feel like a little kid waiting for xmas. It's day 35 of 12/12, so many more days to wait...

Out of curiosity does anyone sometimes time their harvest late intentionally to get a sleepier medicine?

Hey wannab thanks for checking out my journal and your questions. I love all of the learning that happens around here!

None of my ladies are auto I don't believe. I guess it is possible that they are since it was bag seed, however I did make the switch to 12/12 about 35 days ago and have been operating under the impression that they are photo period sensitive. My nute technique has evolved considerably since I have gotten involved on this forum. Initially I went with using just miracle grow general feed and was following the label and placing between three and 12 drops of solution around the base of the plant before watering. Since that I have developed an addiction to fox farm products (god damn I love the art work!) and now am rocking the whole line-up and feeding at between 1/4 and 1/2 strength generally speaking. The only thing I have not used is the sledgehammer. I have read mixed reviews from other people on here about the sledgehammer and since I have not observed any noticeable nute burning have not tried it. I will probably bring it out for the final pre-harvest flush. When I use the FF nutes, I always mix them in a big container as well. I have a 2-gallon watering can and fill that about half, add my nutes and then top off before adjusting ph.

As far as pruning I don't know. I am still having a hard time eliminating healthy growth from my plants.:bitingnails:

Having spent so much time and energy into growing and protecting my girls, I don't want to hurt them. I have also trained them with LST to have a generally even canopy with mostly even light on all the colas. Because of that I have only focused on light getting to the top colas, not the lower parts of them. Do you think I should do some pruning?

I love FF artwork as well but I can't find anyone locally who carries it. I did grab a bag on FF soil (2cf for $24.00 costly) but it seemed nice. I should order their nutes online when I run out of what I have. For Vegging my plants I used a nute mix I got from a local wholesale nursery. It worked amazing plus a full gallon of concentrate cost me $10.00

I was hesitant to trim up my plants but once you realize it allows more sun and air into flowering buds it's easy to do. Personally I'd be snipping out the stuff that you know won't produce.

Back
Top Bottom