My first grow was a well learned lesson

Kukacabra

420 Member
Whats up everyone? my first grow was in a closet with a 600W HPS with no ventilation and a small fan to try and keep air moving. I used Fox Farm Oceans and Forest soil and nutrients, I bought Snow White seeds from Nirvana seeds. She was a monster, I didn't do any training or topping of her ( my first grow) , so my main bud weighed 3oz, I got a total weight of a 1/4 pound off one plant dried. BUT, towards the end of her life my leaves began to curl and she didn't have a smell. Im guessing it was caused from no ventilation and high heat from the HPS. My final product was a total crash, so I believe I have learned a couple of things. I'm getting ready to start a new grow, but this time I have a 48"x48"x80" grow tent. In it I have a 1000W LED with one UV and two IR diodes, full spectrum grow light, a 4" 195 CFM ventilation fan with a carbon filter and I'm going to use 5 gallon cloth grow bags and Fox Farm Happy Frog soil mixed with perlite and Fox Farm Oceans and Forest, 50/50. I'm also planning in doing SCROG for the first time, I'm not sure how many plants I can fit with the amount of light I'm going to have so I was planning on purchasing another 1000W grow light and daisy chaining them. They have a veg switch and a bloom switch and the manufacturer says the perfect height is 24" above the plants with a 4 foot span. would I be over doing it if I bought another 1000W light? am I starting off in the correct direction? Please all comments and advice are welcome. Thanks.

Not a bad idea, I'm still waiting for my seeds to get here. Big Bud seeds from Nirvana seeds, I was going to order from Attitude seeds but they don't take MasterCard anymore. I'm still trying to decide if I should just go ahead and get the second light so I know my grow area is covered.

Not a bad idea, I'm still waiting for my seeds to get here. Big Bud seeds from Nirvana seeds, I was going to order from Attitude seeds but they don't take MasterCard anymore. I'm still trying to decide if I should just go ahead and get the second light so I know my grow area is covered.
You still have some time as you get through veg. Have you checked the actual current draw from the wall on your 1000w light? Mine turned out to be about 170w actual draw, making it equivalent to approximately a 400w HID. That was fine for me through veg, but I knew it wasn't going to be enough to flower under, especially considering its useful footprint. I did get a chance though to use this light and see how it performed before I went ahead and bought their larger 3000w version for flower. You might want to give yours a test run too.

Look at the actual wattage of power pulled from the wall on your LED light. My thousand watt light only pulls 400 from the wall and I have it in a 4 x 4 tent which is 16 square feet. According to what the pros say on this forum, you should have between 35 and 50 watts per square foot. Which means I am under that figure. I am only at 25 watts per square foot in my tent. I will get another light in the future, probably a 600 watt LED which would probably pull 240 Watts from the wall.

it says its 265vac. I'm not an electrician so I guess ill just go ahead and get another. I will say that it is a hell of a lot brighter than my 600W HPS. plus it also has the UV and IR lights. From what Ive been reading you can never have enough light. I just wanna make sure I cover the whole canopy. If I could only get a piece of the sun in a jar.

Back
Top Bottom