Mythbusters

Re: 420 Cannasumer Reports - Mythbusters

This is why I'm breeding plants with huge leaves and short stems.
MuttHabitD35.jpg

The highest Harvest Index in the shortest total time period is where it's at. This is accomplished best with robust dwarf cultivars and not vegging to long [dose-response curve]. Note that commercial crops such as wheat and sunflowers have all been bred for shorter stems. Can't eat stems, want to spend the minimum time and energy growing them in order to get the maximum yield for my efforts.

Well said. I believe we have discussed this to some extent. Good stuff right here people!

:reading420magazine::reading420magazine:
_go_

Thank you for sharing that bel!

I've also had the luxury of playing with extra seeds, and it makes a lot of sense that the size of the cotyledons is important.

I've had 3-4 seedlings sprout with deformed and even missing cotyledons, and all of them were runts compared to their normal brethren.

Have you seen this thread?

Can you tell which seed is male or female?

I know it has an amateurish "sea monkey" vibe, and I don't know the source, but most larger seeds seem to have this concavity and are rounder than seeds that don't.

Maybe there is some convergence here.

Okay I have a quick seed question I had one seed come up with dark purple cotyledons and purple stem the cotyledons have darkend to a green/purple blend and its primary leaves are a normal color but the stem has remained a deep redish purple is this a sign of some sort of problem or just the strain itself ?

Re: 420 Consumer Reports - Mythbusters

I can test this just started 20 seedlings and all of the tap roots came directly out of the pointy end on 10 feminized seeds and 10 regular seeds there was no difference in where the tap root emerged so Ill let ya know how many end up being male/femal/hermi out of the 20 seedlings I Started on Aug 19 check out my journal if you like.

So, on the regular seeds, the tap roots all emerged from the pointy end also?

thanks for doing this!

You might want to check out some of the developing auto flowering feminized strains with some ruderalis genes. 9 to 12 weeks from seed to harvest and no special lighting timing required.

I grew some auto assassin (short stuff seeds) outdoors this year. seed to harvest 11 weeks. killer weed paln to grow alot more next year.

759470212-Seed_cutaway.jpg
They have little 'choice' as the seed shell is 'hinged' at the basal pore [that little hole on the other side of the 'pointy end'] Think about how many seedlings you have seen with the complete seed case falling off, looking kinda like a canna clam.:)

b

Thanks for the beautiful diagram! That really does help to get a feel for how things are packed in there.

Reason I asked is because I've heard second-hand that no less than Ed Rosenthal claim that the tap root coming out of the end of the seed is a strong indicator for female sex, while if it emerges more in the middle of the "knife edge", it will more than likely be male.

Here's a pic of some outdoor LR2's. What's wrong with this picture? lol

P1010163.JPG

The shrimp was the largest seed by far, but the seedling couldn't shake the husk. I gave it one full day and then decided to intervene.

I've helped seedlings before in this regard, but this one was really stuck. I knew it was gonna die anyway, so I got it off as gently as possible, but the first few hours in a seedling's life are so important, and this one didn't get a fair shake.

I'm growing it out along with the others since I like underdogs ;).

Reason I asked is because I've heard second-hand that no less than Ed Rosenthal claim that the tap root coming out of the end of the seed is a strong indicator for female sex, while if it emerges more in the middle of the "knife edge", it will more than likely be male.

yup its in his Ask Edd book. i can find the page if anyone needs it?

I think that the root tip erupts from where the membrane brakes open 1st, the path of least resistance.

never imagined I'd be on a forum rubbing elbows with a plant biologist, but very grateful our paths have crossed.

This is exactly the problem with some of the the Lemon Kushativa beans, the membranes are strong and with the root growing in the middle of the shell in some seeds instead of the edge, not enough gas in the tank [cotyledons] to pop free. We had a runt like that a "The Farm" farmer k thought about culling it, I told him that since we had plenty of room, leave it, we could always cull later. This is what she looked like about ten days ago.
DSCN08531.jpg

b

A great tip that I've used several times is to put a drop of water on the stuck husk and wait until it evaporates before attempting to remove it.

Sometimes the softening effect is enough to allow the seedling to finish the job by itself, but if not, it has slipped off easily every time I've done it.

I think there is a distinction between genetic runts, and seedlings whose development has been delayed by circumstance.

hence, your beautiful lady above. just a bit late for the party is all ;).

I'll try to tackle one that is self evident:

9) Is growing more plants 12/12 from seed more efficient than fewer plants at 18/6?

If we define efficiency as grams per watt, I'd have to say 12/12 is more efficient, simply because the morphological shape of cypress-like single cola plants, densely planted means more plants per given area.

Under my 1000 watt light, I can fit maybe 8 vegged plants. Let's say I get 2 oz per plant under those circumstances for a pound.

Under the same light I can fit 16-20 12/12 plants. Let's say I get 1.2 ounces per plant....for a total of 21.2 ounces from 16 plants....more from a larger number.

Keep in mind that the 12/12 grow might finish a week or two earlier than the traditional grow, in addition to using 6 hours less of electricity for the first few weeks.

If we factor in the costs of seeds and look at a 12/12 grow from a cost efficiency stand point, it might not be the best option.

Also, there is the legal aspect to consider. Some people are only allowed to grow a few plants. In that case, it is obvious that those few plants need to be as large as possible. 12/12 is not a good option in that case.

So, in my opinion, this isn't really a myth....it's more of a style choice.

The only myth associated with this topic is the idea that 12.12 plants have poor yield. That simply isn't true. I grew some very nice 12/12 plants on my last grow! The key is doing it from seed, not clones.

What is we define efficiency as gram/watt/hour? On an annualized basis the 18/6 allows several extra harvests per year ;)
How could this be though with 12/12 clones finishing much quicker then seeds bein vegged for sometime, theroetically if you had lets say 4 mothers, that you cycled through cloning(while ones clones are budding and that plant is recouping the next mother would be ready to take clones from for the next harvest) You could be pumpin out harvest this way. Sorry I dont have actual numbers to work with, but this just makes a bit of sense.

Not only is raw weed NASTY tasting, it will give you one hell of a stomach ache.

I had to validate this by trying it twice ;).

Very reproducible based on two data points, and my research is done ;).

when i'm trimming I usualy grab a wad of nice green leaves and use it like chewing tobacco, real relaxing in there...:yummy:

Back
Top Bottom