Need advice

Adult fungus gnats live for about a week they're harmless to plants but they will lay hundreds of eggs in your soil during this time and it's this larvae of the fungus gnats that does the most damage, that could explain the stunted growth and it could potentially ruin your entire crop. I had fungus gnats on another one of my grows and same thing happened with her she had to go to the bin :(
Sorry to hear about her going to the bin, my heart always goes out to those who have had to bin one. I'm planning on getting some beneficial nematodes as soon as i get some money. It could explain the stunted growth but at least one seems to be doing alright so far

Sorry to hear about her going to the bin, my heart always goes out to those who have had to bin one. I'm planning on getting some beneficial nematodes as soon as i get some money. It could explain the stunted growth but at least one seems to be doing alright so far
I've had to bin quite a few since I started growing, but i've learned from them all and i've been getting closer and closer to a harvest each time. Finally, I can actually say i'm confident about growing now thanks to everybody here at 420.. i had so many questions when I first started but now I have so many answers.

That's definitely the cause of the stunted growth I would say, hope you can get the nematodes soon and she bounces back for you.

I've had to bin quite a few since I started growing, but i've learned from them all and i've been getting closer and closer to a harvest each time. Finally, I can actually say i'm confident about growing now thanks to everybody here at 420.. i had so many questions when I first started but now I have so many answers.

That's definitely the cause of the stunted growth I would say, hope you can get the nematodes soon and she bounces back for you.
I think I'm gonna put a fan blowing across the top of the pots for now, they can't lay eggs if they can't get to the soil lol. It's amazing my first grow was successful with almost no effort, now that I'm trying (and actually needing this to work) I'm having problems lol what would you say about my root incident tho? Is it just a wait and see what happens situation now?

Fungus gnats are a pain in the ass and require a multi pronged approach to keep in check.

a) beneficial nematodes - eat the ones in the soil

b) a thin layer of sand over the top to keep them from getting out or laying in the soil

c) neem oil or insecticide for the leaves

d) yellow sticky tape to snag the flyers

I waited too long to deal with them and they lasted through most of my grow. You can get a handle on them. The big lesson for me is to treat the soil with nematodes as a prevention before you drop the seeds, and be careful about what you are using as a medium and where you get it. The first sign should be met with an aggressive approach. They breed like .... gnats.

Fungus gnats are a pain in the ass and require a multi pronged approach to keep in check.

a) beneficial nematodes - eat the ones in the soil

b) a thin layer of sand over the top to keep them from getting out or laying in the soil

c) neem oil or insecticide for the leaves

d) yellow sticky tape to snag the flyers

I waited too long to deal with them and they lasted through most of my grow. You can get a handle on them. The big lesson for me is to treat the soil with nematodes as a prevention before you drop the seeds, and be careful about what you are using as a medium and where you get it. The first sign should be met with an aggressive approach. They breed like .... gnats.
My problem was going as cheap as possible, i regret it and learned my leason. I had no idea they were in the soil until i had already dropped the seeds and unfortunately i can't afford the nematodes for a little while. i believe these little girls are headed for the bin, but I'm not gonna give up on them yet. I just did what i could with the soil last night and I've got the fan going to blow the adult fungus gnats away now this way no more eggs are laid and I'm going there plants will live long enough for the buggers to be gone but i really am doubtful. Now i know that before i try any further grows i have to save some money so i can treat or change and treat my grow medium, lucky enough i have 7 more seeds and these 2 were not the ones i was looking forward to the most

My problem was going as cheap as possible, i regret it and learned my leason. I had no idea they were in the soil until i had already dropped the seeds and unfortunately i can't afford the nematodes for a little while. i believe these little girls are headed for the bin, but I'm not gonna give up on them yet. I just did what i could with the soil last night and I've got the fan going to blow the adult fungus gnats away now this way no more eggs are laid and I'm going there plants will live long enough for the buggers to be gone but i really am doubtful. Now i know that before i try any further grows i have to save some money so i can treat or change and treat my grow medium, lucky enough i have 7 more seeds and these 2 were not the ones i was looking forward to the most
Neem oil is cheap enough, if you could get some of that you could make a spray to spray around the inside and outside of your grow area and lightly put on your medium. I had to do it on my current grow when she was starting out and I haven't seen any problems since. Some people say you can spray the leaves I wouldn't do it, I done it before and they got scorched. Not by the neem oil, but by the insecticidal soap that was added to it in order to mix it with water to make a spray. I would recommend using the neem oil spray for a week to 3 weeks though as it can take some time to actually start working. If the problem is already gone too far neem oil probably wont be much good to you either. Some people say you can get 3% Hydrogen Peroxide and mix 30ml of it to a litre of water, then water your plants as you normally would. It's supposed to kill everything in the soil almost instantly if I remember correctly. I've never tried it before so I can't say whether this works or not. Maybe even get a few fly traps and put them around the grow area too, you could pick some of them up for cheap.

Back
Top Bottom