Need advice

Being so new to growing (and this being the first time with autos) I'm nervous about topping them. I'm not exactly sure what size my pots are but i know that i plan on getting some fabric pots when i have the money, hopefully for my next grow

18/6 what do you do?
That's a good schedule...I have done both 20/4 and 18/6 but I think 18/6 is better...all plants need darkness to allow their roots time to grow (and a break in general).

I recommend starting a Grow Journal...you'll get tons of great advice from members and they can follow along with your progress. A good title would include the strain and how you are growing it "OG Rolex in Soil...etc". It's also a great reference for you to look back on and remember all the (learning) mistakes.

Being so new to growing (and this being the first time with autos) I'm nervous about topping them. I'm not exactly sure what size my pots are but i know that i plan on getting some fabric pots when i have the money, hopefully for my next grow
They'll be great either way. If you are nervous, skip it. Fabric pots are cheap and reusable.

Soil i know i kinda screwed up on (and would appreciate it if no one put me down for it), i was in such a rush to grow i bought the only thing i could afford at the time, topsoil. After getting it is when i realized it was a mistake. I am using a 450w led and have given them very little nutes a little ff grow big and ff big bloom, less than half the recommended dose (i read to do less than what they say anyways and that for nutes less is more until you know what your plant can handle) I'll post pictures in just a minute

I don't know what that is (topsoil). Was it in a bag? If yes, it should list its ingredients. Look out for any kind of fertilisers. That way you'll know what not to add. Other than that it looks like you could use some perlite with it. Probably 30%. That will give your roots more air. What size pots are they in now?

I agree with the comments above. Your plants look good to me. This stage is mostly about developing your roots. If you add any nutrients at all, it should be for that. I would do it when you transplant to a larger pot. They won't need anything else for a while. From what I understand about autos (never grown one) they don't like being moved, so the next pot should be it's last.

That's a good schedule...I have done both 20/4 and 18/6 but I think 18/6 is better...all plants need darkness to allow their roots time to grow (and a break in general).

I recommend starting a Grow Journal...you'll get tons of great advice from members and they can follow along with your progress. A good title would include the strain and how you are growing it "OG Rolex in Soil...etc". It's also a great reference for you to look back on and remember all the (learning) mistakes.
I've been keeping notes of my own and I've thought about doing the grow journal on here, no real reason why i havent lol

I don't know what that is (topsoil). Was it in a bag? If yes, it should list its ingredients. Look out for any kind of fertilisers. That way you'll know what not to add. Other than that it looks like you could use some perlite with it. Probably 30%. That will give your roots more air. What size pots are they in now?

I agree with the comments above. Your plants look good to me. This stage is mostly about developing your roots. If you add any nutrients at all, it should be for that. I would do it when you transplant to a larger pot. They won't need anything else for a while. From what I understand about autos (never grown one) they don't like being moved, so the next pot should be it's last.
Topsoil is kind of a crappy soil lol it did come in a bag so I'll have to look for ingredients. But it's the stuff people use to cheaply fill holes in thier yards. The problem I've heard of about it is that it's too heavy and compact and that you need to add perlite but i don't have any. As for pot size I'm not completely sure they are pretty decently sized, i think. I've read the same thing about them not liking being moved so i wasn't planning on moving them. If i get better soil very soon i may change the soil but even that I'm not sure

Topsoil is kind of a crappy soil lol it did come in a bag so I'll have to look for ingredients. But it's the stuff people use to cheaply fill holes in thier yards. The problem I've heard of about it is that it's too heavy and compact and that you need to add perlite but i don't have any. As for pot size I'm not completely sure they are pretty decently sized, i think. I've read the same thing about them not liking being moved so i wasn't planning on moving them. If i get better soil very soon i may change the soil but even that I'm not sure
Get better soil...it will make the whole process better and you won't regret it....

I wouldn't worry to much about your soil, but you really should add something to make it less dense. Perlite is cheap stuff. The way to do it would be to dig a wide trench around the plant and scoop it out with your hands or a trowel Add the perlite, mix it up, form a hole and gently put the plant back in. I doubt you have much of a root system and it probably goes straight down. The longer you wait, the more problematic it will become. Anyway that's not as big an issue as you might think.

Is this legal where you live? If not, you are going to need something to deal with the smell, which will be very strong when you get towards the end of the grow and even more so when you are drying it.

I wouldn't worry to much about your soil, but you really should add something to make it less dense. Perlite is cheap stuff. The way to do it would be to dig a wide trench around the plant and scoop it out with your hands or a trowel Add the perlite, mix it up, form a hole and gently put the plant back in. I doubt you have much of a root system and it probably goes straight down. The longer you wait, the more problematic it will become. Anyway that's not as big an issue as you might think.

Is this legal where you live? If not, you are going to need something to deal with the smell, which will be very strong when you get towards the end of the grow and even more so when you are drying it.
The only reason i worry about the soil is the density, this stuff seems to become more compact once you add water. Idk if it snows where you live or if it does how they treat the roads but this stuff reminds me of the stuff you find on the side of the streets come spring when the snow melts. i have to look into the perlite, but thank you for explaining how to do it. My concern with doing it is the fact that autos don't like being transplanted and i figure it would be like transplanting it. As for the smell, I'm hoping it won't smell too much because it's not legal here. But I'm growing in my basement and i don't get many guests that aren't 420 friendly, so I'm not too worried about it

The perlite will let the roots spread out into your pot quickly and the plant will be much stronger. Instead of the slurry that dries into clay you will have a much lighter mix. I think you are right about transplanting, but between the two I'd create the perlite mix.

The only reason i worry about the soil is the density, this stuff seems to become more compact once you add water. Idk if it snows where you live or if it does how they treat the roads but this stuff reminds me of the stuff you find on the side of the streets come spring when the snow melts. i have to look into the perlite, but thank you for explaining how to do it. My concern with doing it is the fact that autos don't like being transplanted and i figure it would be like transplanting it. As for the smell, I'm hoping it won't smell too much because it's not legal here. But I'm growing in my basement and i don't get many guests that aren't 420 friendly, so I'm not too worried about it
At this early stage you will be fine with a transplant....

Thanx i want to be patient, but it's kinda difficult lol and the last time i was patient the plant died, that's why i wanted to ask lol Plus this strain is supposed to be ready for harvest about 75 days from germination so i know if there is a problem i need to take care of it fast because it's such a short grow time
Don't put too much stock in those "seed-to-harvest times" they are rarely accurate. I've had quite a few "60-day autos" that needed 100 days to finish. Patience is the key...
Your babies look great... And definitely don't be afraid to ask questions around here. This is the place... many bad-ass growers who are surprisingly humble and very helpful.

Green days!
-P:ganjamon:

Here's an update for any of you who are interested, i finally got my hands on a bag of better soil, donated by a friend, it wasn't big enough for both pots so i decided to mix it with the top soil. I guess that's how you are suppose to use it for an outdoor garden, idk that's what i read anyways, the shorter plant was doing ok, a little bit of yellowing on the round leaves but there's been some new growth, not what i was hoping forbut my expectations may just be a little high. The taller plant, the one i thought had stalled still hasn't shown any growth that I've noticed but i am now convinced that it is because of root development, because when i removed her from the pot her roots went deeper than i expected, definitely deeper than the short plant lol. She is showing a bit of yellowing as well but I'm hoping that the new soil will help with that. I don't believe the topsoil had any nutrients in it. But now I'm worried because when i removed the taller plant i felt some of the roots snap (because they went deeper than i expected) how bad is it to have that happen? And what could i do to help her recover? Or is it now just a wait and watch scenario?

Hi ace, just have a look around the top surface of your medium for anything crawling around.. stick the tip of your finger in until your nail is covered and inspect the little hole for anything underneath the soil, tap around the sides of the pots gently and see if any pests raise up off the surface or come out from underneath. One of the pics you posted I could see little white dots around your soil just be careful you don't have root aphids because a plant I was growing exhibited some if not all of the symptoms you are describing and had that little white tip on the leaves. I didn't discover them until it was too late my plant had completely stunted and I ended up having to cut her down and put her in the bin.. If you do have them it's probably gone too late for you as well but just keep an eye out.

Hi ace, just have a look around the top surface of your medium for anything crawling around.. stick the tip of your finger in until your nail is covered and inspect the little hole for anything underneath the soil, tap around the sides of the pots gently and see if any pests raise up off the surface or come out from underneath. One of the pics you posted I could see little white dots around your soil just be careful you don't have root aphids because a plant I was growing exhibited some if not all of the symptoms you are describing and had that little white tip on the leaves. I didn't discover them until it was too late my plant had completely stunted and I ended up having to cut her down and put her in the bin.. If you do have them it's probably gone too late for you as well but just keep an eye out.
Thanks for the tip, the white tips on the leaves have been there since i got the round ones to open, i was thinking it was damage from the round leaves being stuck shut while they formed and never once thought it could be from root aphids. I know i do have some fungus gnats but they seem to be minimal for now and i plan on getting rid of them as soon as i get some money to do so

Thanks for the tip, the white tips on the leaves have been there since i got the round ones to open, i was thinking it was damage from the round leaves being stuck shut while they formed and never once thought it could be from root aphids. I know i do have some fungus gnats but they seem to be minimal for now and i plan on getting rid of them as soon as i get some money to do so
Adult fungus gnats live for about a week they're harmless to plants but they will lay hundreds of eggs in your soil during this time and it's this larvae of the fungus gnats that does the most damage, that could explain the stunted growth and it could potentially ruin your entire crop. I had fungus gnats on another one of my grows and same thing happened with her she had to go to the bin :(

Back
Top Bottom