Need Help Collecting & Storing Male Pollen, Please!

Here is my scenario. I have two plants currently that are in my flowering tent. One has been in there for about 13 days and has started to flower. The second was just put into the flowering tent three days ago. The one that is flowering is a gorgeous Northern Lights plant. The other a very nice Sativa strain that I anticipate will be ready to pollinate in about 5-6 weeks (11 week flower minimum) so I want to have the pollen ready.

Selected for the pollinating job is this vibrant young man. He was in my flowering tent to determine sex. Three days ago I saw just the beginning of boy parts and took him outside to the garden to be by himself. Here he is 3 days later. They grew SO quick.

I know how to pollinate the females with the pollen once I collect it. I'm just not sure the procedure to use to collect it and safely store it so it's still viable in 6 weeks. I could take a stab at it but would prefer working with someone who is experienced. BTW the male is also a Northern Lights plant but from a different breeder then my prized female.

Hoping someone reads this and can help me out in a relatively short period of time or I'll have to wing it.

I collect it on a mirror, tap the sacks and it is a nice cloud of pollen

I store it in acrylic test tubes with some raw rice in it to keep any moisture out. Keeps in the freezer for quit awhile

You want sacks popping in an different space typically. Unless your gonna just pollinate them all. When he blows his load take him to a large glass table and shake. Use razorblade to collect. Freeze with rice or flower added

I collect it on a mirror, tap the sacks and it is a nice cloud of pollen

I store it in acrylic test tubes with some raw rice in it to keep any moisture out. Keeps in the freezer for quit awhile
Sorry Chris...I forgot you had done it too......I'll try to make a mental note, but I'll probably just be mental.

Okay @Chris Scorpio and @TheMadDabber approximately how long after the pollen sacks start to form are they ready to donate pollen? I've seen videos where a branch is cut off and brought inside and kept in a glass over a piece of aluminum foil and each morning the branch was tapped causing pollen to fall onto the foil. Apparently the plant drops pollen in the morning. I'm just trying to get a timeline.....from the point I'm at how long before I can expect to see open pollen sacks?

Litteraly a few days after you see them
So any day

I'd say from when they are formed like yer pic less than a week

Like Dabber said, keep that damn stud away from the girls ASAP, or he will bang them all....lol

Yep, he's outside with a DDA that is nowhere near flowering. I guess I'll just have to keep a close eye on him and watch for some opened sacks. I don't need a ton of pollen to dust a hand full of buds on two different plants. I might try that cutting a branch off and bringing it inside in a vase over a piece of foil.

Back
Top Bottom