Need tips about putting your plants in the ground!

ptk2k

Hey all, I have some ladies in 5 gallon buckets that I plan on sticking in the ground sooner or later. I’ve only ever grown in the ground one time when I was young, in my dad’s garden no less. I’m sure the soil was rich because the plants turned out great.

Anyhow, I live in southwest Colorodo nowadays. My backyard gets a great amount of sun, however the ground is verrry dry. When wet it turns clay like. I have no idea how nutrient rich it could be whatsoever.

Bottom line- I need to know the basics of putting plants in the ground. Specifically from 5Gal pots.

Thanks in advance everybody!

Have u ever planted plants in the ground before
Why pull them from the buckets?
well they have a few more months before harvest, i figure putting them in the ground will give the roots more room to grow rather than just a 5g bucket.. and like i said, i have planted in the ground before, a few years ago

Are you going into basic soil? Whats yer thoughts there?

Nutes?
Watering and water PH?

If Planting in ground hole needs to be 2x as big as whats going in it. So added Soil and such.

Are we thinking its gunna be a Tree or Shrub? is that why into the Ground?

You can get a real nice size Plant, outside, in a 5gal Bucket, But in the ground, taken care of, you can get a tree.

Are you going into basic soil? Whats yer thoughts there?

Nutes?
Watering and water PH?

If Planting in ground hole needs to be 2x as big as whats going in it. So added Soil and such.

Are we thinking its gunna be a Tree or Shrub? is that why into the Ground?

You can get a real nice size Plant, outside, in a 5gal Bucket, But in the ground, taken care of, you can get a tree.

Nutes: general hydro trio

Watering every other day / every three days depending. whenever they start to wilt, I feed them.

PH: I've never tested PH ever.... I know many may think that's me being an amateur, but I just never had a reason to check PH. I have used Firilome soil for the past 3 years and never had a PH issue (as far as I know)

A big reason I want them in the ground is to retain more water, and yes, become bigger in the long run.

However I have a 6.5 ft. fence. in my backyard that I'd like the keep them from going above... So I have been topping them / LSTing them like crazy.

even mr.ptk, I grow outside myself for the last cpl months now, and if you do go outside like mr.Scorpio said its about your hole size, I'm from South Africa so I've never used your nutes.
You don't have to go $$ for outdoors, just some good compost if you have, composted manure if you on a small holding/ranch and chuck a cpl fish heads in for good measure ( it works.)
Water when needed
Check under old hale bales or ask around, that's some nice composted stuff and provides good aeration..

even mr.ptk, I grow outside myself for the last cpl months now, and if you do go outside like mr.Scorpio said its about your hole size, I'm from South Africa so I've never used your nutes.
You don't have to go $$ for outdoors, just some good compost if you have, composted manure if you on a small holding/ranch and chuck a cpl fish heads in for good measure ( it works.)
Water when needed
Check under old hale bales or ask around, that's some nice composted stuff and provides good aeration..

good info, yeah I was working on a mountain in northern cali and all we used was hose water / tea. (again, never tested PH), so thats all I do at my house now, hose water and tea (general hydro), I know its not necessary but I use it at half strength and have never had a reason to stop using it. I flush the hellll out of the ladies during their last few weeks of life and I find it washes any "chemical" taste out of the buds, and they burn to white ash.

sorry for the tangent, anyhow yes I either need to ask around for manure / compost or make my own organic soil mix. I have a compost pile going but it has only been going for a few months :/ . I was somewhat aware of the holes in the ground needing to be huge. So do you guys think PH is a huge issue if I'm planting into a medium where I have no idea what the PH could be? I don't wanna toss these ladies in with high hopes and have them all get sick from some BS in the soil, you know? I guess I'm just paranoid.

Clay soil definitely can grow great plants so long as the plant's roots are strong enough to penetrate. If you didn't want to spend any money at all you could go that route and it should work out just fine.
Here's my current plant going on 2 months from seed planted in very hard clay soil. The shit is like a rock.
Or if you wanted to go a little more expensive, you could always go with a super soil, there might be some local places that sell it for pretty cheap or you can make your own if you're willing to let it cook for a month. I made around 320 gallons of soil with 3 different base soils worm casting kelp meal blood meal bone meal bat guano Dolomite lime etc. For around 480$ and you'll never have to worry about nutes and you'll get massive healthy plants.

Your roots won't (can't) go where there is no air. I remember digging post holes in Nevada clay. Nothing much can grow in that. If you are planting in hard clay it's best to look at the size of your hole as you would a pot. Dig the hole to the size that you would like your roots to expand to. Make sure the compost is aerated. Add something like Perlite, if you can't create the consistency you are looking for.

It’s all about soil perp. And size of hole,a friend puts broke up lobster shells in the bottom of his holes,monster grows outside Lol

Back
Top Bottom