New Clones Have Yellowing Top Leaves

OlderStoner

Yippie. 7 weeks after I placed the seed in a moist paper towel, I've got a beautiful, twin cola, 20" tall plant which I put in 12/12 one week ago. This afternoon I've confirmed pistils are present.

I have five clones from her in small pots under a dome. Clone #1 is the cutting I took at her 2 week mark to produce the twin colas. It's been in that dome for almost 4 weeks now and only in the last few days did I start seeing growth from it. The other 4 clones I cut while trimming her lower branches up this past weekend. These are already showing signs of taking root. Here's my dig. The soil is Fox Farm Ocean Forest so I know it's loaded with Nitrogen. But the top new leaves of the newer clones are slightly yellow from the other leaves. And remember, this is FF so the parent these came from is super dark green. I just keep the dome humid with a heavy mist before lights out. They all look like they will survive but I'm just concerned about the yellowing top leaves.

But the top new leaves of the newer clones are slightly yellow from the other leaves

Nitrogen is a mobile element, so a deficiency in it will show in older growth, not new growth. If new growth is effected with a deficiency then it is typically a non-mobile nutrient deficiency or pH issues.

plant105.jpg

The above post by UltraDan is interesting and informative too.
Thanks for posting it.

Yes, that's the cool thing about the Internet is that loads of information can be gleaned in no time. Here's my continuing curiosity about these clones. The oldest one is now 32 days old and it's finally, finally starting to show vigorous growth. For weeks I watched it everyday and it was like watching paint dry. This despite my careful cloning process where I used rooting hormone and keep it under a dome with lots of humidity and light. Nonetheless, it's definitely off and running now. The others are coming along, one in particular is getting too big for it's small pot so it's transplant time this weekend. So when I read so many articles which say cloning should only take 2-3 weeks before needing to transplant I think I've found what they mean. If you take the cuttings later in the mother's veg stage the clones will get on with it pretty quickly. But the first one was taken when the plant was still young. Not a seedling, I think I cut that one at the 4 week mark, after the 4th node and the stem of it was very short. But what I do have this morning is a very compact, closely leaved top that's definitely regenerating. The later cut clones seem to take to their new life much quicker and the lengthy time it took for the first one was due to these factors, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom