Clones

oldmanjj

Ok, Friday 7/16 we decided to top the ladies. While doing so, we thought to try a clone experiment.

Clones were prepped with 45 deg cut, placed directly in water, then cloning gel, then in Michigan mediums start mix. The leaves were cut and the plants have been misted 2-3 times a day in a humidity dome. They were placed under T5 cloning lights.

To me, they look really sad. Should I wait and see what happens or scrap the experiment? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Hi Ole Feller - a thought or two
When you cut clones put them directly into Clonex for 10 mins, not water
Scraping or slicing the stem improves rooting hormone uptake
If you are cloning a terminal site, pinch out any growing tips
They are living on humidity alone at the mo, even half an hour can balls them up so keep them wet and shaded
Good luck pal :cool:

Domes or even plastic baggies will help but spray mist water inside of dome or baggie. Domes are used to keep rh high to help plant survive while cuttings try to develop roots. Clones need light hours but not strong light…. open dome for about 10 minutes each day for fresh air. There’s a whole routine on clones about timing & removing the dome around day 3 etc, you would do well to read all you can on cloning process by using search bar above also you have a lot of leaf mass still on those cuttings which pulls the strength down trying to keep all that green hydrated and alive.

I will shout at @Bill284 and bet he has a cloning tutorial tucked away somewhere

Ok, Friday 7/16 we decided to top the ladies. While doing so, we thought to try a clone experiment.

Clones were prepped with 45 deg cut, placed directly in water, then cloning gel, then in Michigan mediums start mix. The leaves were cut and the plants have been misted 2-3 times a day in a humidity dome. They were placed under T5 cloning lights.

To me, they look really sad. Should I wait and see what happens or scrap the experiment? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Hello again :)

Definitely wait. I think as long as you see green there is hope, they are doing their best to hang in there. I use a syringe and squirt them at their stem site with 10mL of water twice a day too.

I put mine out in gentle sunlight, then put them at the foot of my grow tent, not under the actual light to get them to 18 hours of light.

Here is a complete how to on cloning.
Anything you need clarified or just more info let me know.
Bill

Looks like you went from cutting to straight to soil. Well it takes lil longer but your girls should pull threw. How old are they 3 days?

My clones look like that every time. Then they come back to life. I see nothing out of the ordinary for me.
If you want close to 100% success cloning check out @Emilya DIY Bubble Cloner thread. I made 2. Costs about $15 to make. I haven't had a clone die yet (knock on wood) using this. Worth every penny.

Hi Ole Feller - a thought or two
When you cut clones put them directly into Clonex for 10 mins, not water
Scraping or slicing the stem improves rooting hormone uptake
If you are cloning a terminal site, pinch out any growing tips
They are living on humidity alone at the mo, even half an hour can balls them up so keep them wet and shaded
Good luck pal :cool:
Do you put directly into clonex gel or the clonex water/mix feed ?

I really like cloning now with an aeroponic cloning system..roots usually showing in 5-7 days..good root mass for planting at 12 days. Attaching a pic of 12 day clone just before planting . This is a godfather OG , at 12 days .

623E9451-7AA0-45FE-83C4-ED822028C156.jpeg

Looks like you're having success, so carry on - whatever works for you
Actually I was asking because I do put clones in peat pods and would like a higher success rate in pods. In the pods..I seem to run 3-4 weeks and 20% die off rate.
not trying to be smart.
can only do 24 in the aeroponic

Actually I was asking because I do put clones in peat pods and would like a higher success rate in pods. In the pods..I seem to run 3-4 weeks and 20% die off rate.
not trying to be smart.
can only do 24 in the aeroponic
At what stage are they when they 20% die off? Moved, stressed, being fed etc?
That's very unusual

At about 8-10 days
You may need to keep them wetter for longer and keep the dome on, with a piece of paper on top to shade them from direct light. Giving the leaves light is making them work when you don't want them to yet, you're trying to grow the roots
Give them water, a week in high humidity and shade would be my suggestion and they might well perk up

You may need to keep them wetter for longer and keep the dome on, with a piece of paper on top to shade them from direct light. Giving the leaves light is making them work when you don't want them to yet, you're trying to grow the roots
Give them water, a week in high humidity and shade would be my suggestion and they might well perk up
Will try that..been leaving light on 24 hrs

With the aeroponic, never mist , leave open and lights on 24 hrs..root like a damn…but some types don’t root well in the aeroponic , ie: Grandaddy Bruce & CBG..therefore have to use peat pods or rockwool.
I think aero provides the required humidity and water, in a dome/pod you have to monitor that manually
Damp soil, high humidity and out of direct light 16/8 - 18/6 schedule is good
All the best pal

Back to clonex..do you dip into gel immediately
Yep - I also pinch out growing tips and only leave a leaf or two as I don't want them trying to grow when I'm trying to root it. Pinch off growing tips and any extra foliage while still on the mother
Make the angled cut just below a node, strip off the bottom branches and put the fresh cuts directly into Clonex making sure the node is dipped too.
Scraping the one side of the skin off of the bottom 1/4" of the stem also improves uptake of gel
A little humic/fulvic to prime the pod can help for when roots do appear
Leave for a minute or two the put your cuttings in a slightly oversized hole in the pod so as not to scrape off the Clonex on the way in. Gently firm in, but then drip a few drops of water around the stem to water it in
This wets the Clonex without rinsing it off and makes sure of contact between stem/medium
70-80% RH, 22-24C, 18/6 max, out of direct light and keep the soil/plug moist - bingo every time

Back
Top Bottom