New Grower & Aphid

ThcHemplar

420 Member
So while freaking out it has been difficult to focus on all the information out there. I just spotted the first aphid so I can only assume there are more I have seen yet and am not sure what steps to take. I have sticky traps that will be here tomorrow but I don't want to put all my stock into that alone. I currently only have 2 plants, one has begun to bud and the other is still in preflower so I don't know if I could spray them, if I should get either lady bugs/lacewing or if there's another solution?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sticky traps won't help you with aphids-

Ladybugs are a good choice-they will wipe the aphids out in fairly short order,if you can keep them around.
Neem oil will also work,as will homemade nicotine spray (google it)

They can infest a plant fairly quickly,so whatever you decide to do,sooner is better than later.
Good luck-sounds like you've caught them early,which is a very good thing.
If you do end up spraying,the undersides of (all) the leaves is what you need to concentrate on.

Unless I can find something at the store tonight the soonest I can get anything would be another 4 days so hopefully thats not too late, but can I use the Neem oil solution on a budding plant? It was the first aphid I found but I don't know how many more there are since the plants grew quite thick. Just stressing since its my first grow I don't want to have wasted the last few months. I also wasn't sure if, in the mean time, I could just spray them off somewhat with a hose or pump spray can?

Yes,you can spray them off with a hose,just be thorough.
You can spray with neem oil also,you just don't want to use neem oil on the buds
if you're close to harvest-it will leave a foul smell and a taste on the buds.

If the Ladybugs won't fully feast on Aphids what can a grower do to whet the Ladybugs appetites and hopefully keep them in residence?

I think diluted isopropyl alcohol would work. They are soft bodied insects.
After you get your plants aphid free, a good way to check for them is to rub stems and under leaves. They leave a substance called honeydew and it is very sticky. Honeydew will actually attract other insects.
I use an old gardeners spray. It's main ingredients are Listerine, water and a few drops of dish soap. It's the alcohol in the Listerine that does the job.

Alright, so I ordered some neem oil though it won't be here until Wednesday at the earliest. But so far I have sprayed them down with just water and I haven't seen anything else so far but the plants are so bushy it's tough to check thoroughly. I didn't know if I should continue to spray them down every few days and/or if any of the above solutions would be ok to use. One plant is about 2 weeks into flower and the other is just starting flip over. I just don't want to cause other issues while trying to contain this one.

As long as you have inspected them closely and don't see any more aphids,there's really no point in spraying them down.
Just keep an eye out for more-they are amazingly fast at reproducing.

Back
Top Bottom