New Guy

Herb Green

420 Member
Hi everyone. Greenhorn here. Just retired. Bought small acreage Land o Lakes area. I plan on planting 2 beginner strains N.Lights and I think the other is White Widow. Iwant to grow in 5 gallon pots (2 of each).Can i start them inside under fluorescent and then put them out when they're established? I invite all feedback from you seasoned veterans on all aspects. PS I'm thinking of Crop king or Barneys. Especially interested in feminized vs auto fem. Thanks, Herb Green.

Hey Herb. Yeah you can do that.

You probably want to get reading the various how to threads, then post back with some more specific questions. Even start a grow journal.

Is there some particular reason you want to grow outdoors instead of inside? Given the choice, I'd choose inside. You're in control of everything and bugs and such are usually less of a problem. It just costs money to run the lights.

Welcome Herb!
I do both inside and out. I get one crop from the summer and try for three during the cold months. I put my girls outside permanently on June 1st (YMMV). Clones get started mid-April to May 1st. Seeds start earlier. I match my photo period under lights to the photoperiod of June 1st so they transition w/o a hiccup.
The reason I grow outside is size. It is tough to pull 4-5 lbs. from most inside harvests. Bugs can be a problem, but they are usually a symptom of problems - not the cause. A healthy plant can hold its own against most pests. The bigger concenr for me is weather: hail, torrential rain, high winds can all do a number on them.

Congratulations on making it to retirement. I still have about 7 years to go myself. What I did when I got back into growing was research the internet. There are many basic how to videos for free to watch and learn from. Another tip would be to talk with some of the local growers in your area or even the folks at the local indoor grow store to find out what time of year is best to move your girls outside for your specific area. I grew in the 70's and 80's but a lot has changed. I got lucky that my neighbor has been a medical grower for the last 14 years and has coached me a lot.
Best of luck and have fun, it is an adventure every day

Back
Top Bottom