New here from Oklahoma

XavyRaingrow

420 Member
Hey everyone, I'm new to forum but I've probably lurked here for advice off and on for years now.

I've done 4 indoor grows with what I call 'ghetto' DWC with CFL's. I have gotten surprisingly decent yields off each grow but am ready to step up my game and do better than I have in the past.

I've got a question while I'm saying hello though, and please refrain from the high horse judgement, or the typical 'It's the strain!' or 'That's not weed your smoking' BS please.

I started smoking herb, crappy street reg, age 16 and it was horrible. I had unexplained reactions to smoking EVERY single time, and it wasn't that I was smoking too much either, just a few puffs and I'd be freaking out and yeah I wont go into details but I always attributed it to something wrong with me specifically. I kept forcing myself to smoke to try and 'overcome' this weird stuff, trying different amounts, different strains, using grounding technique and sniffing/drinking black pepper to calm down.
ANYWAYS haha..after about 3 years I started actually enjoying smoking everytime I smoked and would only 'trip out' sometimes, which I could easily get under control unlike the past. I started becoming a major green head, probably smoking too much since I spent all my $$ on it all the time until I got so burned out I had to quit about 3 years ago [had been smoking heavily for about 5 years at this point].
I took maybe a 3 month break from smoking and started trying to again, and I can't handle any of it now just like I used to.
I've tried different strains, I've tried street crap that never used to get me high at all, I've tried smoking 3/4 straight cbd hemp flower to 1/4 thc medical grade indica, NOTHING HELPS. Everytime I smoke I get what I call the sensies, my body gets overly sensitive, and it causes me to have tremors [I have neurological illness so I think it triggers it], it makes me get freezing cold, and my nerve pain intensifies like I'm being electrocuted all over my body. It really sucks because everyone says it will help with pain and other issues and I've got a string of illnesses that I can't use modern medicine to combat.
Could I have developed a weird allergy to marijuana? I do have MCAS so I am wondering if somehow that has ruined smoking for me? I've tried vaping [dry leaf] and I tried edibles and I probably never will again because the reaction was way worse than smoking [only took 1tsp of coconut oil I made from my last grow of just trichome covered leaves!!! no bud].

Weird thing is, I smoke hemp flower with no thc perfectly fine, no reaction, so I'm wondering if it's just the THC I'm having an issue with. Also my husband is starting to have the same reaction after taking a 6 month break for work, he's now having similar issues and he has no known illnesses like I do..so...yeah...if anyone has any idea what the heck is going on I'd like to know. As for why I want to grow with my issues still prevailing, well I kind of hope maybe I can just keep suffering through it until I am able to smoke again, plus I like growing them lol.

Thanks everyone!!!!

@SweetSue this is a good one.
Welcome Xavy, that's complicated. I called Sweetsue, She's one that might know of your calamity. So you've already heard the indica vs sativa talk I presume from your note above. That's conventional wisdom. Sorry I'm limited to that. Good luck finding some kind of comfortable place. When you get going start a journal so we all can share it.

Thanks, hoping someone else lurking or on here might relate at all. I used to be able to smoke high thc sativa just fine, in fact most of my second grow was all sativa dominant. Now I can't smoke anything with any thc in it at all it's insanely annoying. My entire family smokes around me and I want to sooooo bad but am scared it's going to keep messing with me, as it's a very frightening experience. I thought for awhile it was my dysautonomia but like I said in the post my healthy as a horse husband is now having an issue after being sober for months so I'm not sure what the problem is anymore. :(

:welcome: to :420: Xavy :passitleft:...Well that sucks :hmmmm: Have you tried taking your own grow past cloudy trichs? If the trichs are clear and not cloudy with a little amber, it can cause anxiety in some people...or so I've heard...it just makes me relaxed :goodluck:
With the edibles? Yeah they were clear premature sativa dominant leaves from the strain 'carnival'. So that might of been the problem there but as for trying to smoke any of the matured bud, I waited until they were cloudy and amber to harvest, dried, cured, then smoked and still same thing regardless of indica or sativa. I was doing okay smoking mostly cbd hemp to a tiny bit of mj from my grow and even tried different strains at the dispensary here, it was going okay and I could get a little bit high from it but then I started having issues with it again. Very very very annoying. I can't take medicines for my issues, I can't drink alcohol without it affecting my health issues too badly, sweet MJ was my only enjoyment and now I can't even do that. Insane. I've met another person in my illness forum who has had the EXACT same thing happen to her, she was smoking like a quarter a day to herself and now she can't even micro dose without issues.

Hyperemesis Syndrome
Crap that's big. Leafly put this out today . Have you heard of it and are any symptoms the same? I can't link you to it but the name should put you on to it on Leafly.
No I don't get the stomach pain issues, but I know someone who does, but then again she dabs all day long and eats TONS of homeade weed butter, I've never been that bad about it lol, but no I've tried researching my specific symptoms and not really found anything close to it besides like I said above, another girl in my illness forum on FB and my husband now starting to shake when he smokes but I guess cannabis induced hypothermia and the shakes are common if you smoke alot, weird thing is, he gets it after only smoking a bowl. Needs to be more research on stuff, that would be nice, instead you get attacked for going against MJ in anyway now a days, and it's not like I'm against it, I'm just trying to figure out how to get this to stop happening haha I miss getting stoned or even just a little head change.

How long after using cannabis do these symptoms occur?

Do you have hyperadrenergic postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome?

Oh yeah :rofl: of course it would be something with an abbreviation that spells POTS :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) is a condition that affects circulation (blood flow). POTSis a form of orthostatic intolerance, the development of symptoms that come on when standing up from a reclining position, and that may be relieved by sitting or lying back down.

@Alafornia :rofl::rofl: hey bud wasn't making fun of your question :thedoubletake: it's legit :thumb: but the POTS thing got me laughing :rofl::rofl::rofl: ohh I'm just high :hmmmm::hmmmm: yep always :lot-o-toke:

Oh yeah :rofl: of course it would be something with an abbreviation that spells POTS :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) is a condition that affects circulation (blood flow). POTSis a form of orthostatic intolerance, the development of symptoms that come on when standing up from a reclining position, and that may be relieved by sitting or lying back down.

I did consider that before asking...

HPOTS is a subgroup in which adrenaline is on overdrive all the time and with exaggerated responses to common changes in physiology - like standing up, for instance. So a normal drop in blood pressure or one that is induced 15-30 minutes after smoking cannabis (initially there is usually a rise before falling back to normal in many people). Basically, a change in the parasympathetic nervous system can be misinterpreted as needing a strong response by the sympathetic nervous system resulting in symptoms similar to what are being experienced. Of course, they can also occur in people more sensitive to THC or not yet tolerant, so...

No offense taken, MochaBud.

Of course, some strains might be more prone to causing this reaction than others but the OP states it happens with any strain with substantial THC and that after (I'm presuming) building up a tolerance in the past the symptoms mostly went away.

Of note, HPOTS and MCAS often go hand in hand.

I did consider that before asking...

HPOTS is a subgroup in which adrenaline is on overdrive all the time and with exaggerated responses to common changes in physiology - like standing up, for instance. So a normal drop in blood pressure or one that is induced 15-30 minutes after smoking cannabis (initially there is usually a rise before falling back to normal in many people). Basically, a change in the parasympathetic nervous system can be misinterpreted as needing a strong response by the sympathetic nervous system resulting in symptoms similar to what are being experienced. Of course, they can also occur in people more sensitive to THC or not yet tolerant, so...

No offense taken, MochaBud.

Of course, some strains might be more prone to causing this reaction than others but the OP states it happens with any strain with substantial THC and that after (I'm presuming) building up a tolerance in the past the symptoms mostly went away.

Of note, HPOTS and MCAS often go hand in hand.

Yeah I've got the trifecta of HPOTS, MCAS, and EDS, and I also have a very impaired parasympathetic nervous system from small fiber neuropathy. >.< not fun. But see my husband--as far as we know--doesn't have any of that and is seemingly normal and healthy except it's happening to him when he smokes now. So idk!

IDK either, but cannabis via the CB1 receptor has an effect on alpha2 adrenergic receptors in the brain and that in turn effects/modulates GABA and norepinephrine. Is this related to your problem and how?

I don't know and I don't know.

I could suppose that over time previously your body adjusted to repeated exposures, but I again don't know. It's possible that there is some other mechanism or cause for the response you have. It is possible that there are issues related to strain since there are over 120 cannabinoids and each strain is different even if it looks the same as a plant or on lab reports that only include at most 6 of those cannabinoids and maybe the terpenes.

That's a tough set of diagnoses. I hope you can find the relief you're looking for.

In your case, THC-induced anxiety could lead to an adrenaline cascade that brings on the symptoms much worse than the "normal" person. Since you seem committed to this you might try a strain higher in THCV, which is thought to have an immediate calming effect and to be good for panic disorders and to counteract the anxiety induced by THC. Strains would include Durban Poison, Doug's Varin, Black Beauty and to a lesser extent LA Confidential and a few others. Doug's Varin or Black Beauty wouldn't be something you grow (as far as I know they are not available as seeds or clones anywhere at all), but Durban Poison (100% sativa African landrace strain) is available, but make sure it is not crossbred first.

ALL of this post is pure speculation. I'm afraid answers will be difficult to find unless you find them yourself since we are at the intersection of a disease we know very little about and a plant on which research has been prohibited.

I do hope you are able to find your answer and report back.

One last thing: IIRC the old Hawaiian sativa strains are high in THCV.

With the edibles? Yeah they were clear premature sativa dominant leaves from the strain 'carnival'. So that might of been the problem there but as for trying to smoke any of the matured bud, I waited until they were cloudy and amber to harvest, dried, cured, then smoked and still same thing regardless of indica or sativa. I was doing okay smoking mostly cbd hemp to a tiny bit of mj from my grow and even tried different strains at the dispensary here, it was going okay and I could get a little bit high from it but then I started having issues with it again. Very very very annoying. I can't take medicines for my issues, I can't drink alcohol without it affecting my health issues too badly, sweet MJ was my only enjoyment and now I can't even do that. Insane. I've met another person in my illness forum who has had the EXACT same thing happen to her, she was smoking like a quarter a day to herself and now she can't even micro dose without issues.
Hey @XavyRaingrow hows it going :ciao:hopefully better :hug: ...I was talking with my wife and she has a friend in Oklahoma that has an auto-immune disease :thedoubletake: her body attacks itself like a virus or something, can't remember what it's called but anyhow she was prescribed MMJ for the side effects of her meds and it did the same thing to her :thedoubletake::thedoubletake: until her doctor told her to take a benadryl anti histamine :hmmmm: apparently it blocked the receptors that caused her to have this adverse reaction to smoking/eating her doses...she says she has "very little" reaction sometimes now, but it's much better :thumb: figured it might be worth a shot :goodluck:

Yeah I've got the trifecta of HPOTS, MCAS, and EDS, and I also have a very impaired parasympathetic nervous system from small fiber neuropathy. >.< not fun. But see my husband--as far as we know--doesn't have any of that and is seemingly normal and healthy except it's happening to him when he smokes now. So idk!
Awe, he loves ya, and he's having sympathy pain/reactions :hug::hug::thumb: I do that with my wife all the time :rofl: we've been together for 31 years now :thedoubletake::thedoubletake: and she's still my best friend :high-five:

Since I was sick this past week and was therefore low on physical and mental energy I wanted to double back to you, @XavyRaingrow .

You did not mention your treatment regimen for your HPOTS. Fludrocortisone? Metoprolol? Others? If you are not currently getting effective therapy that may be the place to start. You also need to research how cannabinoids interact with your medications? Does it make them more effective? Less effective? I'm afraid most medical professionals are not going to be much help with that unless you luck out so you'll have to do some of the legwork on that.

Another suggestion is to dose orally with CBD three or so times a day so that when you use a higher THC strain the CBD is already there to counteract the adverse effects of the THC instead of having to keep or catch up with it.

This will take some effort and experimentation on your part in order to get there. We are here and will help any way we can.

Back
Top Bottom