New light: more nutes?

Bigreen907

Greetings guys,

I am growing in a coco/perlite(70/30) in a 5 gallon pot. I just went from a Phelzon Newest 1200 (Chinese junk blurple crap that had a average par of 400) to a new Optic 6 with the 3500/5000k cobs. Par on this is WAY better spread, WAY HIGHER PPFD, way more money and a much better spectrum.

I am currently feeding my plants the GH FloraTrio (micro/gro/bloom) at 1/2 the nutes. Under that old light, even at 1/2 I continued to have nute burn and nitrogen toxicity!

My question is, now that I have a much stronger light (by a long shot) am I going to have to bump my nutes up?

I'm running at 40% nutrient strength with a 300 actual watt six COB light in a 2' X 4' tent. It's right at the edge of nutrient burn. (GH Flora Trio + GH spplements as well)

You will probably have to increase the amount of nutrient solution you give them, but decrease the concentration.

usually start at 1/4 nutes and adjust up if need be.
not really light specific, but they can use a bit more with better lighting. kind of like old salt, i keep the ppm low but will feed more often.

i only use the bottle chart as a ratio guide. i go by ppm, not a lot of people do it that way, but i'm more comfortable with it.

what's your media ? looks like hempy.

I just noticed your 5 gallon pots are just sitting in drain lids - I can't tell from the photo .. but are your plants just sitting in the drain lids? That could cause problems when the coco drys out and then leeches drain to waste nutes back up into the plants. Every other coco grow that I've seen has screens or racks of some kind to stop that from happening. When you water your plants where does the dtw liquid go? The ppm of the dtw will be very high.

I use a double layer of egg crate light diffusers to lift my containers out of the run off. Also, the bottom of the cages for my grow bags are an inch above the bottom of the sides.

full

I just noticed your 5 gallon pots are just sitting in drain lids - I can't tell from the photo .. but are your plants just sitting in the drain lids? That could cause problems when the coco drys out and then leeches drain to waste nutes back up into the plants. Every other coco grow that I've seen has screens or racks of some kind to stop that from happening. When you water your plants where does the dtw liquid go? The ppm of the dtw will be very high.
I actually have a large flood tray I just painted white that has notched in it so the water bleeds away from the pots.

usually start at 1/4 nutes and adjust up if need be.
not really light specific, but they can use a bit more with better lighting. kind of like old salt, i keep the ppm low but will feed more often.

i only use the bottle chart as a ratio guide. i go by ppm, not a lot of people do it that way, but i'm more comfortable with it.

what's your media ? looks like hempy.
It is a coco/perlite mix.

I ignore the PPM entirely for coco/perlite. It will be whatever it needs to be for the concentration of nutrients I use. It doesn't fluctuate over the period the batch is for. This never exceeds seven days.

I do have a TDC pen, but only use it to monitor my RO's membrane on a monthly basis.

Thanks, BGreen .. I figured you had to have some drainage, I just couldn't see it. I'm on my first coco grow but Cultivator has written quite a tome on coco nourishment. I have read it at least 3x, many questions answered for me.

Back
Top Bottom