New - Mainlining/Manifolding Newbie - Advice?

Ok, that is a pretty good setup. Here is my advice. When it's possible, get yourself more cooled air (ac unit), running 90f is going to be to high with such low humidity and no c02. Raise the light until you get an ambient temperature of 84f at the most, also get a humidifer, after seeing what your medium is, I highly highly doubt you over watered. I've got a feeling that you rinsed the roots of their nutrients when you watered (I'd also up what you're feeding).
I run my plants like machines because that is what they are.

Low humidity stresses a plant like you wouldn't believe. If you keep roots in water, they'll drown once they absorb all the oxygen from the water. Humidity helps regulate the water intake of a plant, if it's to low, a plant will transpire more, but won't grow because it starts to get overwhelmed with nutrients, if humidity is right, it will take nutrients from the roots when needed and itll also absorb water from the air which means it'll drink less of the nutrient solution in your medium.

Ok, that is a pretty good setup. Here is my advice. When it's possible, get yourself more cooled air (ac unit), running 90f is going to be to high with such low humidity and no c02. Raise the light until you get an ambient temperature of 84f at the most, also get a humidifer, after seeing what your medium is, I highly highly doubt you over watered. I've got a feeling that you rinsed the roots of their nutrients when you watered (I'd also up what you're feeding).
I run my plants like machines because that is what they are.

I don't want to burn my plants and everyone always says how we need to dilute recommended amounts.
As for watering- I always over water when I have to go out of town but I do tend to only what until I see water draining but that is what I thought we are to do.
I will up nutes at next feeding.
Temp and humidity. I really thought the dwc would actually make it so there was too much humidity but I'm guess I'm wrong. I'm currently at 40% at 88 degrees.
I will work on maybe more air flow over plants to reduce temp but that may also reduce humidity.

Thanks for your help!

Sent from mikeytv

Made some minor changes with fans and watered today with nutes. Light is still as close but fan is helping better than before.
bfbeb0010dcc0793f015d2db564cc083.jpg

Sent from mikeytv

Burning your plants doesn't just happen because you added to much nutrients, usually there are other reasons that compound the effect which most people forget. If your parameters are all good, your plant will regulate the uptake of nutrients. (Low humidity causes plant to transpire more which leaves nutrient salt in your medium). Once you see your plants growing at a good pace (you should already start to notice) go to 3/4 of what is recommended.

Depending on your mix, that will determine a lot, you said perlite, coco and soil? That must be good drainage unless it's 80% soil? I water my plants until the pot is submerged in water and you see some bubbles coming up. Air flow over plants won't lower humidity (unless the plants are thirsty) if you're exhausting your air, that is where you will lose the most.

How do your plants look today?

Burning your plants doesn't just happen because you added to much nutrients, usually there are other reasons that compound the effect which most people forget. If your parameters are all good, your plant will regulate the uptake of nutrients. (Low humidity causes plant to transpire more which leaves nutrient salt in your medium). Once you see your plants growing at a good pace (you should already start to notice) go to 3/4 of what is recommended.

Depending on your mix, that will determine a lot, you said perlite, coco and soil? That must be good drainage unless it's 80% soil? I water my plants until the pot is submerged in water and you see some bubbles coming up. Air flow over plants won't lower humidity (unless the plants are thirsty) if you're exhausting your air, that is where you will lose the most.

How do your plants look today?

Mix is closer to 40/40/20 perlite being 15-20 of that.
Drainage is good- also fabric Potts help.
You are really making sense to me so thank you for that. I'm understanding things from a much more effective perspective now.
So today humidity is around 50- where do I want to be in regards to this. Also, thinking of moving my 3 gallons to 5... is the space worth it or no?
Plants are looking good today. I noticed one was really turning up from my tie downs. Otherwise I have really been pruning and fimming and all that so I am expecting slower growth. I'm going to give one week to check again and switch to flower in one to two weeks.

Sent from mikeytv

Ok, with your mix being what it is and because you have a air pot, it's going to be very hard to overwater, so don't concern yourself with too much water, the more the merrier.
I would recommend saturating the shit out of your medium on the next watering, maybe until you have 40% runoff (you can optimize soil PH with the water). Although if you take the approach of using more water, every feeding has to have at least 1/3 nutrients, if not, osmosis will happen at the roots (nutrients in the roots get leached by the water)(another reason droopy leafs)

Also, quit letting your mix dry out so much, letting is dry out like that actually stresses the plant and the plant won't be able to grow roots around the crown. Water your plants until they are soaking wet (then let the water drain out)(have a watering table so the excess water gets drained into a bin, never have stagnant water in your planter.
50% is okay, if you change your watering practice, your humidity will go up, once it reaches a peak, if it goes down, your plants are now thirsty.
I always agree with uppotting, in your case, you're going to run out of room mid flower, so I wouldn't up pot in your case, I'd watch the difference in how the plants grew, relative to their pot size.
What is your runoff ph?
Listening to my advice can cause a lot of problems if things are not done right, my first grow room 5 plants yielded a pound of tried herb (my first time mainlining) that was with a 400 mh and 1000 hps. 2nd grow was 10 plants grown for a way shorter time and produced 1lb of very good herb and another pound of goodies. So take my advice with some salt, everyone has their own ways of doing things.
Sorry I'm really high and on my phone. :)

Ok, with your mix being what it is and because you have a air pot, it's going to be very hard to overwater, so don't concern yourself with too much water, the more the merrier.
I would recommend saturating the shit out of your medium on the next watering, maybe until you have 40% runoff (you can optimize soil PH with the water). Although if you take the approach of using more water, every feeding has to have at least 1/3 nutrients, if not, osmosis will happen at the roots (nutrients in the roots get leached by the water)(another reason droopy leafs)

Also, quit letting your mix dry out so much, letting is dry out like that actually stresses the plant and the plant won't be able to grow roots around the crown. Water your plants until they are soaking wet (then let the water drain out)(have a watering table so the excess water gets drained into a bin, never have stagnant water in your planter.
50% is okay, if you change your watering practice, your humidity will go up, once it reaches a peak, if it goes down, your plants are now thirsty.
I always agree with uppotting, in your case, you're going to run out of room mid flower, so I wouldn't up pot in your case, I'd watch the difference in how the plants grew, relative to their pot size.
What is your runoff ph?
Listening to my advice can cause a lot of problems if things are not done right, my first grow room 5 plants yielded a pound of tried herb (my first time mainlining) that was with a 400 mh and 1000 hps. 2nd grow was 10 plants grown for a way shorter time and produced 1lb of very good herb and another pound of goodies. So take my advice with some salt, everyone has their own ways of doing things.
Sorry I'm really high and on my phone. :)

You made my day! I will take the advice- what I do with it.... who knows..but I will keep you posted! Lol

Sent from mikeytv

I have a feeling because it's making sense to you, you'll somewhat follow the advice or at least think about it. :).
If you need more help, I'll be around. (I could find no help around here when it came to mainlining, not a lot of growers try it). Do keep me posted, I have a feeling this is going to be some bomb ass herb. :)

I have a feeling because it's making sense to you, you'll somewhat follow the advice or at least think about it. :).
If you need more help, I'll be around. (I could find no help around here when it came to mainlining, not a lot of growers try it). Do keep me posted, I have a feeling this is going to be some bomb ass herb. :)

Update:
Gave the girls 3 gallons last night- drank it up! Not much run off. They are very well watered this time and I was definitely under watering- thanks for the push.

As for what a night makes- girls have the texture and color of kale now... just mainly at the fimmed flower sites but it's pretty obvious difference overnight.
Here is current-
6c418e79bb12ea4d9cfe9a0f3cb383f0.jpg

2696cbd7eeee8686c7718611123c8407.jpg

Thanks again for all the help.

Sent from mikeytv

Update and questions.
Ok, first, michaels2016- thank you for the advice and information. All and everyone's help has been valuable and m16- yours in particular has changed my grow.

Everyone looks happy currently and every night has obvious growth. Looks great all around. My questions are there too many buds off a plant or can I really Frankenstein these girls? I have several bud sites but wondering how far I can take this considering my light source and size of room. In wondering as my plants are so low still. I have kept them trained close to the pots and have no vertical growth- or very minimum so it sees I could go nuts on her but I worry as I have 4 girls and assuming no one is a dude or becomes a dude, I have vertical space - maybe 3-5 feet with light considerations- and if they get too bushy I may be lacking light energy.- 400watt mh/hps.
2nd, so I read that the sun puts out something like 10k lumens be sq/ft. If that's true, should I target 40k lumens or max out if I can control heat? Like now, I'm at 100k at 85 degrees. But I also read that if it's too much light, I'm basically wasting it. It's not being absorbed. Is there a optimum light lumen that maximizes benefit and is also most efficient in its energy consumption? Am I wasting energy using 100k lumens- would I be just as good at 40k lumens?

Sent from mikeytv

I wanted to show my current height from pot to give perspective and context to my questions.
faa5f436037db9a2cb32aeb5ef5b0b81.jpg

Humidity has risen to 55 and it's looking like I can rewater the 3 gallons already.

Sent from mikeytv

Hey fellow grow friends,
So, things are looking good. I was definitely underwatering. Been feeding nutes in every watering and looking that I can water every two days.
I'm doing very well with temp and trying to keep everyone near 80 during day and low 70 at night.
Humidity is currently 62 and was wondering on optimum humidity levels? I think I can use this to help with when to water.
Also super curious still to know if there is such a thing as too much humidity? Any thoughts please share.
Last question. Did I over do a couple of these with spreading out. Seems a couple basically have no growth in or near the middle of plant. Should I encourage growth there now to grow straight up?

5cd782b0d20b41963d3d76c9dee61159.jpg

Thanks all!

Sent from mikeytv

Update and questions.
Ok, first, michaels2016- thank you for the advice and information. All and everyone's help has been valuable and m16- yours in particular has changed my grow.

Everyone looks happy currently and every night has obvious growth. Looks great all around. My questions are there too many buds off a plant or can I really Frankenstein these girls? I have several bud sites but wondering how far I can take this considering my light source and size of room. In wondering as my plants are so low still. I have kept them trained close to the pots and have no vertical growth- or very minimum so it sees I could go nuts on her but I worry as I have 4 girls and assuming no one is a dude or becomes a dude, I have vertical space - maybe 3-5 feet with light considerations- and if they get too bushy I may be lacking light energy.- 400watt mh/hps.
2nd, so I read that the sun puts out something like 10k lumens be sq/ft. If that's true, should I target 40k lumens or max out if I can control heat? Like now, I'm at 100k at 85 degrees. But I also read that if it's too much light, I'm basically wasting it. It's not being absorbed. Is there a optimum light lumen that maximizes benefit and is also most efficient in its energy consumption? Am I wasting energy using 100k lumens- would I be just as good at 40k lumens?

Sent from mikeytv

I'm glad I could be of some help.
You could take it even further, but the further you go, you're also increasing the veg time, have you thought about cloning? You're going to want have another batch half ready when these girls are complete.
Training low to the pot has allowed you to spread your plant apart, now you should just let it grow without anymore manifolding. (Remember your plant will gain most of its height in flower). I personally think it's better to have short bushy plants rather than lanky, you get more pop can sized bud. :)
The whole idea of "too much light" would be adding more light to the grow room, your 400watt won't produce enough to be "wasted". Although if you were to add another 400 watter, then some of that light might be wasted. Lumens and lux is a reference to how bright the light is to the human eye, plants more specifically use PAR, there is a general equation that can convert 100k lux to par (I think it was 750umoles or close to).
You'd only be wasting power if you were using a bigger light that you placed equally as close (or it'll be to high, leaving a big light footprint but weak lux) .
If you can control heat and humidity, once the light saturation point is maxed, you add c02 to that bitch, and theyll go into overdrive.

Hey fellow grow friends,
So, things are looking good. I was definitely underwatering. Been feeding nutes in every watering and looking that I can water every two days.
I'm doing very well with temp and trying to keep everyone near 80 during day and low 70 at night.
Humidity is currently 62 and was wondering on optimum humidity levels? I think I can use this to help with when to water.
Also super curious still to know if there is such a thing as too much humidity? Any thoughts please share.
Last question. Did I over do a couple of these with spreading out. Seems a couple basically have no growth in or near the middle of plant. Should I encourage growth there now to grow straight up?

5cd782b0d20b41963d3d76c9dee61159.jpg

Thanks all!

Sent from mikeytv

If you're able to water every two days, how old are these plants? It may be to launch them into flower and let the roots power the extreme growth.

There is a thing as to much humidity, ideal would be 70% for veg and 40% for flower (going even lower as your ending flowering). Although if you have good humidity levels with low air circulation, you might get mildew.
Using the humidity to judge when to water is what makes you a better grower. :)
Nope you didn't overdo anything, although they're going to get ridiculously big.

If you're able to water every two days, how old are these plants? It may be to launch them into flower and let the roots power the extreme growth.

There is a thing as to much humidity, ideal would be 70% for veg and 40% for flower (going even lower as your ending flowering). Although if you have good humidity levels with low air circulation, you might get mildew.
Using the humidity to judge when to water is what makes you a better grower. :)
Nope you didn't overdo anything, although they're going to get ridiculously big.

That very last comment made me laugh. Things got out of hand last grow but I was dealing with a few more plants and only main colas mostly- because of volume- but just too many for the space... ideally I want a constant 2 growing both for medicine and hobby. It is very calming and the rewards are stellar!

My questions from earlier----
I asked about wasted light in reference to say if I was at 6 inches at 250 watts showing 40000 lumens or 8 inches at 100k lumens at 400 watts. Is one better if heat isn't an issue- meaning am I getting same results off of a as I do b? If so, I would prefer to safe on energy usage. Would 100 be better in reference to growth?

Age is about late November - I am going to be much more diligent as I grow to keep better records. Yes, I pulled some clones in November around turkey day and popped some seeds- these are they. The clones have been through hell and back- had in dwc then out and in soil then back in dwc. I think one of these is a clone and 3 are seed. Bag seed so I only know of its mom- who was a knockout and a dirty little girl! Lol yeah I got some killer stuff once with a fair amount of seeds- then a few here and there- I finally decided to see what would happen and here I am- so no genetic knowledge of my seeds but great girls- assuming no boys or hermies in the bunch.
So we are going in two months. I have really been hard on them (not with light or nutes) just with how I fimmed and trimmed and twisted and bent. But they are really taking off.
Ok I do want to clone, but I have to wait until I have some more branches--- lol I trimmed all I didn't want and hate to cut down a real beauty.
Ok, so they are only a few inches tall. I don't think they would get past 3 feet. I hope. Although, its the girth I worry about.
Oh and I have a closet grow. I was looking into co2 (I have a guy) but its not a sealed room so....I don't think it's in the cards.
Many thanks 2016!

Sent from mikeytv

That very last comment made me laugh. Things got out of hand last grow but I was dealing with a few more plants and only main colas mostly- because of volume- but just too many for the space... ideally I want a constant 2 growing both for medicine and hobby. It is very calming and the rewards are stellar!

My questions from earlier----
I asked about wasted light in reference to say if I was at 6 inches at 250 watts showing 40000 lumens or 8 inches at 100k lumens at 400 watts. Is one better if heat isn't an issue- meaning am I getting same results off of a as I do b? If so, I would prefer to safe on energy usage. Would 100 be better in reference to growth?

Age is about late November - I am going to be much more diligent as I grow to keep better records. Yes, I pulled some clones in November around turkey day and popped some seeds- these are they. The clones have been through hell and back- had in dwc then out and in soil then back in dwc. I think one of these is a clone and 3 are seed. Bag seed so I only know of its mom- who was a knockout and a dirty little girl! Lol yeah I got some killer stuff once with a fair amount of seeds- then a few here and there- I finally decided to see what would happen and here I am- so no genetic knowledge of my seeds but great girls- assuming no boys or hermies in the bunch.
So we are going in two months. I have really been hard on them (not with light or nutes) just with how I fimmed and trimmed and twisted and bent. But they are really taking off.
Ok I do want to clone, but I have to wait until I have some more branches--- lol I trimmed all I didn't want and hate to cut down a real beauty.
Ok, so they are only a few inches tall. I don't think they would get past 3 feet. I hope. Although, its the girth I worry about.
Oh and I have a closet grow. I was looking into co2 (I have a guy) but its not a sealed room so....I don't think it's in the cards.
Many thanks 2016!

Sent from mikeytv
:):)
How long have you been growing for, this is your 3rd run at it? Maybe it's time to make it more than a closet grow, or maybe think big for the next run? Grow big or go home is what they say. :)

With that question, yes there would be a difference. Although your plant would love the 100k lux, if you don't maintain adequate c02 levels (even normal c02 levels, plants eat that shit up) then there would be wasted energy. If you were also supplying enough c02, then the more power the greater, the plant will litterly work faster to build itself (aka take the carbon from the c02)
If you are to double c02 levels of what's normal (300 ppm to 600ppm) you'll see an increase of 35% growth or more if other conditions are met.
In the case you refrence, if you have adequate air flow to maintain regular c02 levels, than the 100k lux becomes more efficent than the 40k lux. (Plant has double the amount of photons to grow, so theoretically, you could have the same amount of growth in a lower amount of time.

If they are taking off now, maybe it's best to start the switch to 12/12? Then in a week or two, you can take a clone.

Back
Top Bottom