New - Mainlining/Manifolding Newbie - Advice?

The one nice thing about having lights nice and close, your plant has enough power to build a better root system to supply better growth uptop to use all the power. :)

When you up-pot, you're always suppose to double the size of the previous container, so 3-5 isn't all that bad but that also depends on the method you used. Was your plants semi root bound in the 3 gallon? If they were, did you lightly and gently disturb the roots so they stop growing constrictively? If they were just reaching the ends of the pots and heading down, that's a good time to transplant. Flushing with just ph'd water isn't necessary for the way I grow, although if you are to flush with low strength nutrient water, that's different. One thing about flushing every once and while is, it'll help remove built up salts from unused nutrients and the salts that are caused by water evaporation from the soil. If you flush with low strength nutes, you wash away salts and keep your roots from being stressed. So even when a plant is healthy, you still want to make sure salt levels don't build up (kinda why you use half strength or less nutrients every watering, full strength could leave to many salts, then when you water next, you are mixing the water with those concentrated salts and potentially burning the roots.

Don't worry about adding nutrients today, when in doubt though, you can foliar feed. Since you transplanted the proper way, do not water until it'd normally be your 2nd watering, this is when you want your soil to get dry so the roots go into the new mix.
I do run a drain to waste and reuse for the next watering, so I use an abundance of water.

Neither rootbound, and they were dry enough to just come right out with little stress. Honestly it was like they just had some visible root showing but not much at all. I don't think it was much of a disturbance if any.
Sounds like I didn't really need to flush but doesn't sound like it likely hurt anything anyway. Happy with that.
I'm going to let them dry a bit before my next watering like you suggested and will likely hold off for another week before switching to flower. It looks like I have a little more room to spread now with my repots for the 2- so they will hopefully be a little bigger... crazy!

Sent from mikeytv

Update-
420-magazine-mobile2121436225.jpg

I'm having a few concerns... girls are doing very well. Still low to the pots but I'm not really tying down any new growth other than to try to keep them all even. Trunks are getting fat- fattest I have ever grown (even at harvest)- so that is encouraging.

Should I continue to tie down or is now the time to let them grow up? I'm not worried at this point with height but I do want to keep everyone even. I'm not topping of fimming any more but that leads to more questions. I feel like I need to trim and thin out again but thinking of waiting until a week into flower and pulling some clones and cleaning them up them. Do you think that will be too long to wait as they are thriving like nuts?
Also, my last grow was my first using hps, before using cfl,led bulbs and flourescent. I noticed my colas started to thin the longer in flower. I was told too much light, too little light but I couldn't seem to correct the issue. I'm really going to quality and denseness so any suggestions or useful tips is very appreciated. Also, with possibly 20 colas, how much will these girls spread? Super worried my 400 hps won't be able to keep up. Just realized these will all be awesome problems- except for the airy kolas! lol

Oh and you may notice a little burn on a leaf about middle of pic. It was resting on the monitor and the plastic got too hot for the leaf. I didn't see any burn anywhere else.

Sent from mikeytv

Super jazzed about how low these are. I actually trimmed again last night but growing pretty fast. I have managed to keep them close to the pots still but plan to scrog too which should be crazy.
420-magazine-mobile582258862.jpg

Maybe a few inches above pot rim. Now actual length is getting to about 10 inches lowered and staked down.

420-magazine-mobile1804927534.jpg

Just 4 plants! Crazy!

Sent from mikeytv

Let them grow up now, they seem to be very bushed out now, they look really nice. :) Airy buds would have to do with low light in your situation, I'm sure though you'll keep your HPS closer though this time. Too much light would lead to bleaching, too much heat would be foxtailing, both would lead to a stunted plant seperately or combined.
I would recommend you let your air pots dry out somewhat since you transplanted not to long ago, I'd say let it go 3.5 days before your next water, then I'd do your switch to flower. :)
My switch to flower will be pretty close to yours.
How's your clone success rate?

Let them grow up now, they seem to be very bushed out now, they look really nice. :) Airy buds would have to do with low light in your situation, I'm sure though you'll keep your HPS closer though this time. Too much light would lead to bleaching, too much heat would be foxtailing, both would lead to a stunted plant seperately or combined.
I would recommend you let your air pots dry out somewhat since you transplanted not to long ago, I'd say let it go 3.5 days before your next water, then I'd do your switch to flower. :)
My switch to flower will be pretty close to yours.
How's your clone success rate?

You are putting your girls in flower? What method of growing are you using? Any training? I will hold off on watering until I switch to flower. Might just make flower the 1st to make it easy.
I have been told so much about the fixtailing. I was told too much light, not enough light, too close, too far. I couldn't figure it out but temps were higher. Mid 80's during lights on. Now I'm averaging mid 70's but the are small still and I know heat rises as does growth.
Here is the thing, my foxtail issue happened under a 400 hps. Didn't have the problem first grow with fluorescents and cfls and led bulbs. But it was also only two plants with little stressing, so size was as encumbering as grow 2. This is turning into the size of grow two but only a fraction of plants. Problem is it's not the number of plants it's the volume created and the heat it produces.
Anyway, just want to avoid any more foxtailing.i am going to let them grow vertical now- what are your thoughts on scrog for this set up?

Sent from mikeytv

Yup, my girls are going into flower. I've got 8 Super Silver Haze and 14 purple kush, 22 plants total. I have them in 6.5 gallon soft pots, only topping has been been done, I have them growing in a 6x6 room I built in my garage, once I need more space, another room shall be built. (I'm trying to do perpetual)
I'm not sure how you calculate your flowering time, but for the first two weeks into the switch, the plant is still technically in veg for pretty much 2 weeks, then it starts the flowering, so your true flowering day would be the 15th or close to.
Just keep doing what you're doing and you won't have foxtailing, if you keep your temps stable and are giving your plant enough light (again treat the 400HPS like the 400Mh) keep that light as close as possible and just make sure there is good airflow in your grow space.
If you're able to manage a Scrog, I would recommend it for your grow, if you do It properly, you'll just have a layer of colas.

Your grow is looking good man. :)

Hey all... everything is moving a little slow for my taste but all the plants are looking healthy and happy. Fed today-- speaking off, I had a dwc that was showing more burn- I nute a little different but I still keep my nutes pretty low just in case. Kind of want to see how much I could increase..
anyhoo---

420-magazine-mobile436987170.jpg

Oh yeah, put in a scrog net (is they right?) the other day too. Still have a couple inches before it hits it but I think that is done correctly-- I just started flower and if I'm gaining height up to 2x then I think the netting will help to keep them low-- I have room but like to see how low I can keep them for training purposes..

Anyway, that's all today! Here's one from g2-
420-magazine-mobile1733667000.jpg

Sent from mikeytv

Hey, just a little update on the girls.. well, they were ready to get started in flower as they are already showing pistils not barely a full week into flower. Not sure if that's normal but they were in veg a while. They are stretching now and almost or at the mesh canopy.
Basically my soil grow is only 4x4 and complete canopy coverage already. I think two are from seed and 2 are clones so I had a chance of a male or 3(one in hydro) but doesn't look so so far. I have seen pistils on all plants - I think. No balls so far... fingers crossed...
Pics soon.

Sent from mikeytv

Update:
Looks like 4 is down to three. Everyone is showing sex and this little fella popped up... so I took him out as soon as I felt he is likely a dude and I think I'm correct... otherwise the girls are doing well...
420-magazine-mobile1441992722.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1998768896.jpg

Sent from mikeytv

420-magazine-mobile75864781.jpg
420-magazine-mobile681039132.jpg
420-magazine-mobile373627092.jpg

Chopped the boy down and thought I would share a couple pics.
Healthy boy- hope my girls are just as happy.
I took pics of my lst/manifold/mainline attempt.. I think it worked out well but I will be more disciplined with my next attempt. I'm hoping to cover the same space as I can with 4 girls with just 2. I'm hoping to make it 2 dwc buckets but I really like how plants grow in soil. It's more forgiving and I'm not seeing (yet) the benefits of dwc other than the fun of doing it. Seems yields may be similar and with soil I can go away for a week and not worry my girls will dry out or run out of nutes. Or have ph issues. lol just writing out loud.

Anyhoo, all is good and will keep you updated.
Btw, I have gh 3 part but I also have a bloomed I had purchased prior to the gh. Can I include that with my gh nutes? As long as I stay in ppm limits it's ok or best to stay with one or the other?

Sent from mikeytv

Everyone is doing well. Girls are thriving. Had a question on light distribution. Would two 400 hps set ups be better for such this small grow? These 3 share with dwc set up that takes up about the same square footprint. Total is 4x2. That's not the total space but the space of the scrog/canopy.
I was thinking of reducing the ballasts to 250 each and give each half its own 250 hps. Seems this would net more light but then I wonder am I just going to waste light/energy at that point. Thoughts? Heat is under control currently. Not sure if it will be a major issue with additional hps.
Not sure what else to do except just leave them alone - aside from feeding/water/light. Wasn't sure if I needed to trim again as I am in flower- about 2 weeks in.
420-magazine-mobile1769314845.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1009002409.jpg
420-magazine-mobile184481715.jpg
420-magazine-mobile141557676.jpg
420-magazine-mobile430432916.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1641483661.jpg

Sent from mikeytv

Ok, been wondering about this. So keep tucking? I mean every morning I have many that are reaching up and I could bring them down but will this hurt cola production or am I so early in flower I'm fine? All input welcome. I'm kind of lost at this point regarding the scrog during flower.

Sent from mikeytv

Back
Top Bottom