New - Mainlining/Manifolding Newbie - Advice?

I will try to go closer but wondering about temps. I will likely be in low 80s at canopy with lights that close. I mean 5-6 inches seems close for hps.

Sent from mikeytv

If your ambient temp is 80f-85f, that is on the high end for the temp without co2. So maybe get your lights as close as possible so the ambient temperature stays near 80f, if your ambient air temperature is stable and your plants are healthy (they clearly are) your leaf temps will stay relative to the ambient temperature. (Weak plants with weak roots won't be able to control their temperature as well so their leaf temperatures could vary +/- 15f.

I'm running my 1000 watt HPS 24 inches away.
That's 2.5 more juice than a 400. So the equivalent for you would be 9.5 inches.
I would put my light even closer but I'm trying to get my plants to stretch, once I'm happy with the height, the light is going down further.

If you control the ambient temp and it's stable, your plant will adjust itself to keep it between ideal levels, and as long as you aren't nute burning them, they'll do their thing and make you happy.

If you control the ambient temp and it's stable, your plant will adjust itself to keep it between ideal levels, and as long as you aren't nute burning them, they'll do their thing and make you happy.

I'm in mid 70's at my current distance. I get near 80 every once and again but barely. I'm saying, if I go closer it will go up 80-85 as I have tested distance. I have a large box fan blowing across plants and lights and another pulling air out and away from closet.

I've been at great temp levels lately. I'm always wondering what and how much light I need and if there is too much but can't seem to get definitive answer. That said, I did get the others 400 hps so I have one dedicated to basically a 4x4 space.
I would love to get my lights closer to get more light under the canopy but will have heat issues. That said, I'm noticing a lot of growth under there so they must be getting some light.

Sent from mikeytv

I'm in mid 70's at my current distance. I get near 80 every once and again but barely. I'm saying, if I go closer it will go up 80-85 as I have tested distance. I have a large box fan blowing across plants and lights and another pulling air out and away from closet.

I've been at great temp levels lately. I'm always wondering what and how much light I need and if there is too much but can't seem to get definitive answer. That said, I did get the others 400 hps so I have one dedicated to basically a 4x4 space.
I would love to get my lights closer to get more light under the canopy but will have heat issues. That said, I'm noticing a lot of growth under there so they must be getting some light.

Sent from mikeytv

Can you take a stand back photo of your entire grow space that shows everything including the fan? We need to work on that temp, if you can get it more under control then we can get that light closer, if you get it closer, you get denser nugs.
Should be motivating xD

Can you take a stand back photo of your entire grow space that shows everything including the fan? We need to work on that temp, if you can get it more under control then we can get that light closer, if you get it closer, you get denser nugs.
Should be motivating xD

Ok, so, I just got the extra 400 hps set up today so there was some changes made. I worried with the added light would be added heat so I took the 3 fan with timer (black ) out from inside and instead built a simple door replacement so I could insert it in to keep things closed but have air pulled out. Odor currently not an issue (looking to either route directly out a window via similar set up but with an online fan and venting outward- or up through closet ceiling and connect to dryer vent out) for now, however, this is my set up. I have a dwc set up in there too. It takes up half the scrog which is roughly 26 by 48. So 2x2 or 4 square has its own 400. Good light for small space. Large window size box fan is hung behind the camera. So it blows past all the plants.
420-magazine-mobile842482430.jpg
420-magazine-mobile246233632.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1552926563.jpg

Pictures not current except first one.
Sent from mikeytv

So your have no air intake? Since you're willing to duct thru the walls, you need to duct a air intake into that room, preferably bringing up cool air (basement). I'd also recommend getting a duct booster for the intake so it's not longer passive and it's size can be reduced.

So your have no air intake? Since you're willing to duct thru the walls, you need to duct a air intake into that room, preferably bringing up cool air (basement). I'd also recommend getting a duct booster for the intake so it's not longer passive and it's size can be reduced.

The 3 fan in the door has an in/out/both function. Do you think that would be sufficient or better to just add another fan pushing air in? I get we need cooler air but considering this will harvest within 2 months I don't think it will be an issue for this grow. My only real concern is making sure the added light doesn't bring up temps too much. I was thinking of adding a smaller fan to fit into bottom of door to bring fresh air in while the 3 fan can pull is out.

Sent from mikeytv

If you bring in cooler air, that means your lights come closer, if your light is closer, there is more photons being absorbed by your plants aka bigger buds.
I would 2nd the idea of leaving the 3 fans blowing hot air out and installing a fan at the bottom of the door. Just make sure the fans are as far apart as possible.
Having any intake is better than none. :)

If you bring in cooler air, that means your lights come closer, if your light is closer, there is more photons being absorbed by your plants aka bigger buds.
I would 2nd the idea of leaving the 3 fans blowing hot air out and installing a fan at the bottom of the door. Just make sure the fans are as far apart as possible.

Already snuck in to take another look. I think if I put what I plan to put at bottom of door the air flow would be hitting thorough pots and up past lights before reaching out take. So that is what I will do in the morning. Thanks again.

Sent from mikeytv

Not beating a dead horse but curious.
Do I leave all this bottom growth alone? Meaning all the leaves that have grown under the canopy. I'm encouraged as I there must be enough light to promote such growth but will this take away from my main goal- giant- obnoxiously delicious colas...
You gotta let me know...... should I trim or should I no?!?!

Otherwise- happy girls. Thriving going into week 3. No issues so far. Fingers crossed. Still more growth from the back of the scrog but I'm trying to keep everyone even.
420-magazine-mobile450184139.jpg

Oh, added a lower intake fan so I have air pulled in, air circulation inside and another pulling air out. Until I can set up a proper vent system, I think this will be ok.

Sent from mikeytv

Not beating a dead horse but curious.
Do I leave all this bottom growth alone? Meaning all the leaves that have grown under the canopy. I'm encouraged as I there must be enough light to promote such growth but will this take away from my main goal- giant- obnoxiously delicious colas...
You gotta let me know...... should I trim or should I no?!?!

Otherwise- happy girls. Thriving going into week 3. No issues so far. Fingers crossed. Still more growth from the back of the scrog but I'm trying to keep everyone even.
420-magazine-mobile450184139.jpg

Oh, added a lower intake fan so I have air pulled in, air circulation inside and another pulling air out. Until I can set up a proper vent system, I think this will be ok.

Sent from mikeytv

I'd personally leave the bottom growth alone for now. The first reasoning being, all the fan leafs of various sizes that have grown near the bottom, they all act as solar panels still. Getting rid of them will actually decrease the overall efficiency of your plant, if you're getting light down there and the leafs look good, they're helping generate more energy for the plant.
My second reasoning being, they help determine somewhat the health of the plant. If a nutrient is needed and unavailable from the soil, it'll take it from a leaf, having your plants being able to show problems on the lower insignificant leafs actually makes your life easier. Plus it's good having a secondary nutrient reserve.
I really think in your case at the moment, that lower growth will help continue powering your plants to grow faster than without.

Good job on the intake, I know you wanted a PC grow and I'm horrible to help for that :(. Although you totally can't tell what that closet might be used for. Haha.
One other thing I would recommend, ditch the GH. Go with Advanced Nutrients, they're soooo much better.

I'd personally leave the bottom growth alone for now. The first reasoning being, all the fan leafs of various sizes that have grown near the bottom, they all act as solar panels still. Getting rid of them will actually decrease the overall efficiency of your plant, if you're getting light down there and the leafs look good, they're helping generate more energy for the plant.
My second reasoning being, they help determine somewhat the health of the plant. If a nutrient is needed and unavailable from the soil, it'll take it from a leaf, having your plants being able to show problems on the lower insignificant leafs actually makes your life easier. Plus it's good having a secondary nutrient reserve.
I really think in your case at the moment, that lower growth will help continue powering your plants to grow faster than without.

Good job on the intake, I know you wanted a PC grow and I'm horrible to help for that :(. Although you totally can't tell what that closet might be used for. Haha.
One other thing I would recommend, ditch the GH. Go with Advanced Nutrients, they're soooo much better.

Yes! Pc grow! You're killing me! I am going to use what I have for this grow but I write down a ton of stuff and I will pick up advanced nutes after I'm through with gh. As for the beautiful carpentry work! Lol yeah, not quite stealth but I wanted to keep contained within a contained area so the closet door conversion, while ghetto, is just temporary while I'm out of town. I did want to see if I could control temps in a small space though so it's a nice opportunity to see how hot it gets.

Ah and yes, makes complete sense about the energy and acting as panels to absorb a ton of sun while their flowering. I actually have a ton of growth just in the past week under the canopy, so it's getting tons of light all the way down to the soil and I checked today and it really is. I think dedicating the one hps for the 2x2 space really helps with penetration.

Sent from mikeytv

Yeah, I'm leaving them alone. No more tucking and just letting them be... wondering about nutes. I tend to lean on around 700-800 ppm since it's worked so far but wondering if I should increase. Don't want to mess with what's working but would love to maximize. I hear people talking about 1000 ppm and thinking it's not far from where I am so I wonder if it's a noticeable difference or minimum when compared to possible stress on plant. Just very new at this stuff.

Sent from mikeytv

Update- got my lights 6 inches above canopy and fans places pretty darn perfect. Averaging 78 degrees with both lights at 400 each- that's with monitor resting on canopy (same level as plants.) I have to assume it's a little hotter directly under the lights which begs the question, am I shooting for mid70's at its hottest point of 6 inches directly underneath or ambient temp of canopy?

Sent from mikeytv

Yeah, I'm leaving them alone. No more tucking and just letting them be... wondering about nutes. I tend to lean on around 700-800 ppm since it's worked so far but wondering if I should increase. Don't want to mess with what's working but would love to maximize. I hear people talking about 1000 ppm and thinking it's not far from where I am so I wonder if it's a noticeable difference or minimum when compared to possible stress on plant. Just very new at this stuff.

Sent from mikeytv

Honestly i run 400-500 ppm throughout the grow and it seems to work well for me. I have very hard city water which makes my EC/ppm look really high. I live by the creed if its not broken dont fix it! .

StarKiller OG - Rockwool - Ebb & Flow - 1200W LED - 2016
New Member Start Links
How do I top my plants?
Auto Growers Unite - A Community Thread

Update- got my lights 6 inches above canopy and fans places pretty darn perfect. Averaging 78 degrees with both lights at 400 each- that's with monitor resting on canopy (same level as plants.) I have to assume it's a little hotter directly under the lights which begs the question, am I shooting for mid70's at its hottest point of 6 inches directly underneath or ambient temp of canopy?

Sent from mikeytv

You're aiming for ambient temperature of the canopy. There should be enough air movement now to minimize the hot spots directly under the light. If there is any hot spots still, it's being caused by infared light and air movement won't help dissipate it until the plant starts transpiring to bring itself to the right temp. Although a 400 hps doesn't give enough juice for you to be all that worried about the infared hot spots under the light if you have adequate air flow. All should be well with what you've done, you are maximizing your light. :)

Sent from mikeytv

Thats a good question. If your grow is going really good, than raising your ppm would be beneficial to your plant. If your grow isn't doing so well, upping the ppm is pointless.
In your case, I can't really say much because you use GH. But in the realm of nutrients, if your ppm is to high and your nutrients are of lower quality, you will have more salt buildup etc in your medium which will stress your plant.
With Advanced Nutrients, the way that you're growing, you would listen to what the bottle says 4ml/l, all because your growing the plant at the pace these nutrients where designed for. I run 1300ppm with no ill effects or leaf burn or nute burn.

You're aiming for ambient temperature of the canopy. There should be enough air movement now to minimize the hot spots directly under the light. If there is any hot spots still, it's being caused by infared light and air movement won't help dissipate it until the plant starts transpiring to bring itself to the right temp. Although a 400 hps doesn't give enough juice for you to be all that worried about the infared hot spots under the light if you have adequate air flow. All should be well with what you've done, you are maximizing your light. :)

420-magazine-mobile780801031.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1341340575.jpg
420-magazine-mobile378544092.jpg

Yeah, I have this system set pretty darn good. Thank you so much for your help... it is making a difference with my grow. I'm counting a ton of bud sites. I'm talking a ton! Giggling but it's making me a bit nervous. My last grow was pretty stinky and that was maybe a quarter of bud sites. Same seed source so I imagine this may be similar only much more pungent.
Oh, and the concern with hot spots- idk what I was thinking. I have the monitor in perfect position so my numbers are dead on and stable.

Thanks again.

Sent from mikeytv

Back
Top Bottom