New Study - Alcohol Kills More Than Marijuana

Ms. RedEye

420 Support
420 Staff
From time to time we get some flack for pointing out that as a "recreational" substance, marijuana is safer than alcohol. Anyone who doubts that claim might want to look at this new study from The Lancet, one of the world's top medical journals.

Researchers reviewed information on deaths in three major Russian cities from 1990 to 2001 and questioned family members about the decedents' alcohol use, reporting the astonishing finding that "in several recent years, alcohol was a cause of more than half of all Russian deaths at ages 15-54 years."

Causes of death that were greatly increased by heavy alcohol use included accidents, violence, alcohol poisoning, and several types of cancer.

We've said it before, but we'll keep saying it: No drug is 100% harmless, but marijuana simply does not cause anything near the wreckage that alcohol causes, even in very heavy users.

News Hawk: MsRedEye: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Opposing Views
Author: Bruce Mirken
Copyright: 2009 Opposing Views, Inc.
Website: Opposing Views: RESEARCH: New Study -- Alcohol Kills More Than Marijuana

You know... I totally respect your opinions, but I have to disagree.

"it's literally impossible."... I have to call Shenanigans on that one.
Imagine a bus drive on his morning rush hour rounds. He stops for a break and burns some nice bud. He gets back on the road, and accidently runs over a pedestrian because his twisted brian is looking the other way at some bright shiny object. The pedestrian, having been plowed over by a speeding bus, dies on the scene.

MJ, like all the other intoxicants, impairs many body and brain functions. Don't get me wrong, it's got to be and incredibly small drop in a really big bucket compared to alcohol and other drugs, but to say that it never has and never will is unreasonable and, in my opinion, very wrong.

I see those words often.. and I've always felt that it was a crazy statement. How many drug deals involving MJ have gone wrong and ended up in gunplay? I can think of so many different scenarios that it just boggles the mind.

Direct deaths from MJ have not been seen, but studies into the drug are somewhat more than lacking due to our insane legal/political system. I should note that the article from the russian study does include all the side impacts from alcohol.

And, of course, in what world is it even close to sane that alcohol and tobacco (both of which I personally enjoy) are legal, and MJ isn't. Watch... next we're going to outlaw BB guns because they've taken and eye or two, but legalize fully automatic assault weapons or some such insanity.

Anyway.... my 2 cents.

Cheers!

so i guess by your reasoning, If i get shot by somebody and I die, the Gun is responsible.
Regardless of what substance your fictional bus driver is influenced by, he is responsible for his actions, and the pedestrians death was not caused by Cannabis, but was caused by the bus drivers irresponsibility.

Well no. To blame the gun alone, or the herb alone, or the alcohol alone would be insane. Nobody's saying the plant rises out of the garden at night and raps it's branches around your throat while you're sleeping. The problem isn't stricky with the item itself, it's how we implement it.

If you get shot and die, I would call it a death involving a gun. Would you not agree?
The article is talking about deaths that have alcohol and cannibis involved.
I'm simply comparing apples to apples. Keeping the original article in mind, claiming that there never has, and never will be a death where cannabis contributed is just a bit more than I can understand. 420Founder's words don't specificly say if they include deaths where cannabis contributed, and I can assume he is only referring to direct deaths (like an OD), his words don't say that, and the article is about deaths that involve alcohol and cannabis. I really was just making THAT point.

Anyway... no, nobody (sane) thinks "drug x" alone is evil or responsible. It's the way we use it baby.

Cheers!

But what 420 said isn't what the article said, and you had beef with what 420 said

Marijuana does not kill, never has, never will.
Not one documented case in world history, it's literally impossible.

This is true, MJ does not kill, it is literally impossible because there isn't anything deadly in the substance.

I understand your point, I'm just arguing that it has nothing to do with 420's post.

You know... I totally respect your opinions, but I have to disagree.

"it's literally impossible."... I have to call Shenanigans on that one.
Imagine a bus drive on his morning rush hour rounds. He stops for a break and burns some nice bud. He gets back on the road, and accidently runs over a pedestrian because his twisted brian is looking the other way at some bright shiny object. The pedestrian, having been plowed over by a speeding bus, dies on the scene.

MJ, like all the other intoxicants, impairs many body and brain functions. Don't get me wrong, it's got to be and incredibly small drop in a really big bucket compared to alcohol and other drugs, but to say that it never has and never will is unreasonable and, in my opinion, very wrong.

I see those words often.. and I've always felt that it was a crazy statement. How many drug deals involving MJ have gone wrong and ended up in gunplay? I can think of so many different scenarios that it just boggles the mind.

Direct deaths from MJ have not been seen, but studies into the drug are somewhat more than lacking due to our insane legal/political system. I should note that the article from the russian study does include all the side impacts from alcohol.

And, of course, in what world is it even close to sane that alcohol and tobacco (both of which I personally enjoy) are legal, and MJ isn't. Watch... next we're going to outlaw BB guns because they've taken and eye or two, but legalize fully automatic assault weapons or some such insanity.

Anyway.... my 2 cents.

Cheers!

the bus would have had to be made from cannabis to be a direct death from cannabis. LOL.noone has ever died from a direct use of cannabis...one never ever hears. "DRIVER SMOKES JOINT, kills pedestrians"... but alcohol, you hear about everyday and happens 1000 times day all around our alcoholic society.

even peripheral events such as cannabis dealers and guns, I would have to speculate, there are other drugs involved with these "GUN TOTING" drug dealers, coc**ne, her**ne. Just watch an episode of cops.

the bus would have had to be made from cannabis to be a direct death from cannabis. LOL.noone has ever died from a direct use of cannabis...one never ever hears. "DRIVER SMOKES JOINT, kills pedestrians"... but alcohol, you hear about everyday and happens 1000 times day all around our alcoholic society.

even peripheral events such as cannabis dealers and guns, I would have to speculate, there are other drugs involved with these "GUN TOTING" drug dealers, coc**ne, her**ne. Just watch an episode of cops.
yeah you don't see straight up weed sellers shooting each other over money very often lol

Tinala... A VW Bus... made of cannabis.... SWEET!!! I can't help but wonder how many auto accidents would be contributed to cannabis if they tested folk like they do for alcohol.... hmmmmm... curious. Has anyone ever seen OSHA stats for industrial accidents where alcohol vs cannibas were detected? Those might be VERY interesting numbers.

TCMK20... the article was about alcohol and cannabis INVOLVED deaths, thus when 420Founder said "Marijuana does not kill, never has, never will.", wouldn't one naturally assume he was speaking about the article... it is a thread about the article... yes? Now, I assume he didn't actually mean to say that there never has or never will be a cannabis INVOLVED death, so I chimed in. As for weed sellers killing each other... I admit, I'm way tilted on the issue, but it happens quite often in my city.

Anyway.. hope I cleared up my intent, and I surely didn't to invoke so many comments!

Cheers!

As far as trust goes, i trust a weed only user more than any other substance user including alcoholics. I would call a pothead.... predictable. Sry, off topic.

I agree with the title of this thread that alcohol kills more people than weed.

i'm thinking that 420 was speaking of Cannabis itself never killing anyone.

like any substance if you mix it with stupidity or bad choices you will have bad results.
who uses Cannabis?
smart people/stupid people
honest people/dishonest people
safe drivers/unsafe drivers
the list is as long as the list of how many different types of people there are.

no one should drive if they are impaired. there have been studies that showed people under the influence of Cannabis were actually safer drivers. they are somewhere in Cannabis facts i think. if i remember correctly there was a u.k. study and a canadian study. i'm not recommending anyone drive while/after using Cannabis, just sayin'.

....Regardless of what substance your fictional bus driver is influenced by, he is responsible for his actions, and the pedestrians death was not caused by Cannabis, but was caused by the bus drivers irresponsibility.

exactly

i'm thinking that 420 was speaking of Cannabis itself never killing anyone.

I think you're correct, but that's not how it sounds when someone says what he said while commenting about an article involving deaths where alcohol and cani. were involved.

I really expected 420Founder to correct his comment. I surprised he has not corrected his words. I assume 420Founder is deeply involved with this site... perhaps the founder... and as such, I hold him to a bit higher journalistic standards and expect his word to be accurate. I do hold folk in leadership positions to a higher standard because folks listen to them.

We (members of this site) are mostly, if not totally, devoted to the repeal of the insane laws regarding MJ. There are lots of folk in this world (apparently???) that are devoted to sustaining current drug laws. I often see quotes (on both sides) that are taken out of context and used as ammunition in the war.

If you agree with the previous paragraph, do you not feel that it's at least somewhat irresponsible for a person to make claims that can give ammunition to our opposition?

I do, and my comments are an attempt to correct the situation.

Sorry to be so socially aware here... but our opposition sure uses all these comments against us... I'm just not a fan of helping them.

We, as the legalization movement, cannot afford to make offhand comments that are open to "creative intepretation". We're the underdogs, we need to make sure our comments are clear, true, and properly understood.

Of course, perhaps I just need to chill and smoke a bowl.

Cheers!

I think we should educate ourselves as much as possible on the arguements they're using so when they use it in an arguement we correct them. How can they win an arguement when we know more about their side than they do?

In 1980, I was with a bunch of Navy guys and the driver was clearly an inexperienced smoker. After a few blocks of driving, he requested someone else do the driving because the smoke disabled his driving ability. We were good after that change in drivers. An accident waiting to happen. Again in Maryland, I was to drive my girlfriend to a bar a few miles away. I couldnt find it. Again in Maryland a bar was 100 ft from my mobile home. I went 100 ft. from the bar to my kitchen. I toked a bong hit, went back to the bar 100 ft. from home gave him the rest of the weed I couldnt finish and then got lost in thought, I couldnt find my home a 100 ft. away. Imagine if a person smoked, got into his car and couldnt drive to where his own house is?? As with any substance you would still be responsible for your actions. Another incident in Albany Oregon... Someone I didnt know brought me outside the bar to smoke a bit outside. A few minutes later, I could not find my apartment only 5 blocks away. A chemicle applied to plants was called paraquat. I think it was a bug killer or something like that additionally improved the high. A lot of people died. Just for stats, Ill recall alcohol related car crashes Ive been responsible for. Lets see... 1977, 1979, 2001, all drunk driving. Numerous DUI's, and fights. So to close, it boils down to user responsibility and decision making. Remember, alcohol eliminates intellect, the ability to make intellectual decisions. Weed does not have that affect on your next move. I know with weed one is able to make smart choices as opposed to alcohol. Its now as always left to choice. Oh by the way, I never got in a fight from weed, and never got arrested for being stoned, and Ive never had any accidents at all while stoned. Intelligently it is your choice to smoke or drink. Im 50 yrs old, trust me Ive been there done that. Ive even grow allot of weed and I never made my own alcohol and I never will. Statisticly alcohol is THE MOST ADDICTIVE DRUG ON THE PLANET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Be safe and smart out there. PEACE be with you all.

Another chemicle applied to plants was called paraquat. I think it was a bug killer or something like that additionally improved the high.

paraquat is a poison designed to kill the plant, they sprayed it out of crop dusters ... another great idea brought to u by ur local DEA office ... :peace:

Back
Top Bottom