New to Growing! Help!

localgirl

I'm not new to pakalolo (MMJ), but am new to growing. Let's just say, typically, I am thoroughly efficient at killing silk plants!

When I first got my 420 license, I had a few g's of crap meds (overly dry and had seeds). Good thing I save everything (although hoarding rarely pays off). I saved the seeds in case my dad could do something with them? I didn't know what to do!

I'm very sick and am house bound for the most part. Given that the insurance company fuckers cut off my disability, I figured that I'd try to grow my meds while the attorneys attempt to tear the insurance company new asshole(s) (there should be a roped off place in hell for insurance companies)!

Omg. Did I just say that? Did I say that I was going to try to grow something? I did. Shit. Okay well, here we go.

Initially, I was going to buy "My Grow Buddy" from dealzer.com (or something like that), but the shipping was outrageous. I started doing research and more research. I decided that I was going to try to build a grow room or get a grow tent (yeah, let's just make it more difficult) since fundage is low, and I don't want to turn tricks to be able to afford all of the supplies (kidding).

I ended up getting a 36" x 20" x 64" grow tent. My dad asked, "Is this grow tent designed to grow MJ in it"? My mom replied, "It is meant to grow an herb garden." :)

I still haven't decided where to put it. I have two possible areas. Spare bedroom closet or garage. Both have their pros and cons. I'd like to opt for the garage, but am worried about the temps getting too hot in the summer. The grow tent is actually pretty nice (I attempted to assemble it today by myself). Took me forever, because I keep having to take breaks. I fucking hate being sick. Good thing I'm persistent and stubborn! It is up! :) Yay! Stoked.

I also ended up getting a 400w HPS/MH light, which I'm afraid (now that it came in the box) is too big (hot). The ballast and reflector fit perfectly inside, but gets in the way of the venting. I sure hope that my grow doesn't catch fire! What do you guys think about lighting? Did I go overkill? I knew that it would kind of be much, but read that lighting is everything. I rationalized it by thinking: More light, more (better) meds, more :). No?

I still need to work out fans and carbon filter. TBD...

But I digress....from those pesky little seeds that I picked out of crap weed. Curious while I was doing my research, I took two (of unknown genetics; okay, I was smart to save them, but unsmart as to not note the strain of the first pair), put them between two wet paper towels and two paper plates. Lo and behold, they germinated! I almost crapped my pants! Woo hoo! The first two are about 2-3 inches big. The second set of seeds were from some Purple Kush (the more I vaped, the smarter I got; labeled them this time). Attempted to germinate them. One germinated, but when I put them in a cup with soil, they didn't seem to turn into seedlings. It hadn't been 7-10 days yet, so I left the cups. Good thing I didn't throw them away. This morning, I had a little surprise waiting for me! :) If I were a dude, I would have gotten a boner!

So, tent is up. Light is assembled (need to hang it) and need to get venting going. My dad is trying to help me with the overall construction and design, but dude has NO IDEA of what he is doing, thinks he knows it all, and won't read crap! Ugh. Medicate, medicate....melllooooooowww. Are are currently arguing about how many CFM the fan needs to be. *Sigh*

Actually, I'm lucky that my parents are so cool. I live on my own, but they live two blocks away. Luckily, they aren't some conservative jerks that won't let me grow! :) I think that they are just impressed with how much better I've been since I started using MMJ.

Oh, one more question. Were in the fuck do you buy seeds from? Yes, I know, I know, we aren't supposed to get seeds shipped here. Blah, blah, blah. I attempted to order for a couple of companies in Amsterdam, but can't seem to get past the payment part. What is everyone else doing?

Maybe I will post some pics when I figure out what the hell I'm doing.
Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed reading about my becoming Farmer Ted! And a special thanks for peeps that leave me some feedback!

Congrats, good luck. I had a 6in windtunnel and a carbon filter. In summer temps got to hot without a dedicated ac. But i also had a 600w in a 3x3x7. I would look at completed 400w tent grows and see what they did.

LMAO Local...What an introduction!!! I giggled a few times. Before I say anything else, let me just say welcome to :420:....Isn't it great when you have someone you can discuss you grow with..And they say parents just don't understand...well some do. I really can't help with your issue about the light. I am waiting for my 400w to come, my closet space is 7 by something, I really forget. But I am hoping it will not make it too hot.

As for where to get beans, we have some sponsors that have quite a good selection and many of the members here use them. Personally, I use singleseedcenter which is also one of the sponsors here. You can literally buy just one bean or a whole mess of beans. I think they have a nice selection and the price is reasonable. I received them rather quickly too, in just about 9 days. I would suggest when you do choose that since it is your first grow that you choose a strain that is easy for beginners and can handle a lot of different things like heat or water(likes to eat) or changes in temperature. I am sure someone on here has a journal on Purple Kush, check those out for pointers.

Can't wait to see your set up once you have it finished and a pic of your babies...Happy growing.....

Google Greenmans seedbank update.
Read what he says. I have used a "boutique" he has rated high (3 1/2) several time with no problems.
Hope this helps.

Tent is five square feet, giving you 80 watts per square foot. Not too much, but might be more than you need (at present).

Hope reflector is a "sealed" air-cooled type. If so (and the tent's vent arrangement allows), vent the light separately from the tent in general. Otherwise... Not really a big deal I guess since you're legal.

Do NOT mount your light's ballast inside the tent. Should have an 8' (or so) cord from ballast to the mogul socket in reflector, which ought to easily be enough to move the ballast - and the heat that it generates - out.

Run an exhaust fan (or two if venting the light separately). Don't bother with an intake fan; your exhaust fan will pull air into and through your tent.

Consider this your primer:
How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

This site has many trusted Sponsors.

Back
Top Bottom