New to organics and outdoor: want to reuse my Sunshine Mix 4

mkono87

I have been presented with the opportunity to obtain some clones and id like to veg them outside while I wait for my current crop to finish flowering in my tent. I have used sunshine mix 4 that I have flushed out sitting in a bin that id like to reuse but im just not sure how to go about amending it. Iv done the best I could at researching organics and its all exciting stuff and can be a little overwhelming.

Im looking for a non "cooking" solution as im short on time and looking for an almost water only solution. I fully anticipate having to top dress or feed with teas every so often. My last two grows indoors have been with Megacrop and feeding every watering. I have a bag of this insect frazz stuff called fraz n daz but im not sure I want to go experimenting atm. I also have a bag of dolomite lime available at home.

Could a possible solution be as easy and just mixing the fraz or Gaia green 4-4-4 with the sunshine mix and go to town? Iv also seen the coots mix using EWC. What other recommendations do you have?

I would add some EWC for sure. I have really liked the Stutzman Farms chicken manure compost for extra organic matter and nutrients. I haven't used the sunshine mix #4 but it's mainly peat based. You could add some coco too.

Look up a soil recipe called "Coots mix" - you can use that sunshine stuff as your peatmoss base.

You need several inputs to amend the soil.

Dont "flush" any soil, thats not helping or doing what you think it does. Flushing is for a soil-less medium.

Good amendments are Kelp meal, EWC, Crustacean meal, OSF (oyster shell flour), gypsum, Rock dust.

Aeration (perlite or rice hulls) if absent.

Any good compost.

Look up a soil recipe called "Coots mix" - you can use that sunshine stuff as your peatmoss base.

You need several inputs to amend the soil.

Dont "flush" any soil, thats not helping or doing what you think it does. Flushing is for a soil-less medium.

Good amendments are Kelp meal, EWC, Crustacean meal, OSF (oyster shell flour), gypsum, Rock dust.

Aeration (perlite or rice hulls) if absent.

Any good compost.
Yeah but you have to let it sit for a while no?

No.... I'm growing plants right now that I mixed the soil up and used it in the ground and in containers the NEXT day. Every plant I'm growing with my new mix is fine and I top dressed a bunch of garden veggies and they are doing great as well.

Cooking is optional ... I don't worry about it. The most important thing is mixing the soil with quality ingredients. Add mycos at potting time. I like to use Mykes or WOW.

Yeah but you have to let it sit for a while no?
No, you do not have to. It is recommended to do it so that the microorganisms in the soil can start to break down the new ingredients that have been added.

If it is a good base soil mix to start then it should be OK to plant in the amended mix that day. The plants will get the nutrients they need from the existing organic material that has already started to break down. Every day more of the new amendments are becoming available and within two days the plants are already sending out new roots to start absorbing it.

Back
Top Bottom