Newbie 1st grow!

jamesvr6

Hello people!! I really hope this is the right section - sorry if its not. I have been reading these forums for some years and have recently got really fed up with paying top money for rubbish weed and having no money! So, being a bit lazy and not very good at all at this stuff thought I would give it a shot. A bit scared about all this so please be gentle! Sorry if this is long but I should have been posting along the way and just thought I had to let you know about my grow so I am posting now after approx. 10 weeks.

First I was just going to go for a natural grow (I am in UK by the way) so I bought feminized seeds as I did not want to mess around with males - remember I am lazy, lol!

I treated myself to a propogator and planted 4 white widow and 4 northern lights. Within a few days all but 1 had sprouted. I transfered these to 4" pots after 2 weeks. The bad news is I used Miracle Grow compost slow release stuff. I have read differing views on here, mainly bad to be fair but bearing in mind these were going to grow total natural i.e. April - October I hope it wont be too bad.

So Once the plants got a bit bigger, I got more excited!! I decided to plant the other seeds I had including 2 free seeds I was sent (one called sharks breath?? sounds nice!) I basically had in total out of 12 seeds planted 11 grow, not too bad I thought!!

I decided to kit out my downstairs cupboard and also try to grow some under light bulbs to speed up the process and maybe get me a little harvest before the naturals are ready.

I will try to get some pics up but please bear with me. So I have a cupboard that goes under my stairs and at the biggest part is approx 0.9 metres square. I bought 4 large white wooden sheets and basically just stood them up in the cupboard. I then bought a 400 w workman light that I hung from the ceiling. I then had 2 100w energy saver lights. I put 5 plants in the room. 2 from my window sill and 4 straight from the propogator. They were in there for a couple fo weeks and then I transplanted them to their final pots. I used a mixture of 10" pots and 12" pots - not too sure why but thats what I used. I had a 7" fan in there blowing whilst on their 16/8 stage.

The recent ones suffered one loss during the pot transplant, looking back it was far too early but I was lazy! I then increased the lights so I now have in total the 400w centre light, 2 100w energy savers on side lights and then 5 energy savers again 100w hanging from the ceiling and then 2 more 100w energy savers directy over the 2 orignal plants that were from the window sill.

So 5 plants in total in the cupboard now, 2 that were already about a ft in height when they went in there and then 3 that came straight from the propogator after they had sprouted for 7 days.

4 weeks in and I will start flowering tomorrow. I will put them in total darkness for 48 hours and then a 12/12 cycle. The 2 oldies I will call them are huge right now!! One is about 3.5 ft and the other is about 4.5 ft. I will have to do a bit of bending I feel as I know they will grow quite a bit more during flowering. I probably have about a mx of 3 ft left.

So that is about it really. I will keep you updated, any advice would be much appreciated. I am very happy so far though. I have spent quite a bit on everything but bearing in mind I have not really done too much its looking good so far. I have been feeding them a very small amount of miracle grow - I know I have read that is also bad but I already have it now. I may change if people think I should. I have only been using a qtr shot every 3rd watering.

What is a little worrying is the leaves on the plants in the cupboard. I think the majority of the damage is heat damage and bulb burn damage. But there are lots of worrying dark and yellow spots. I will try to get some pics up. But what makes me feel a little comfortable is the fact that all the plants on the wondow sill are all perfect. No issues at all, all perfect green leaves!!

I will try to get some pics up shortly, enjoy and please offer any comments or advice.

Many thanks

J :ganjamon:

Re: Newbie 1st grow!!!

just tried to upload 6 photos and it said they were all too large? I have read the instructions but it seems a little confusing. Can anyone assist?

resize the photos using any image editor to get them under 1mb each. then upload to the site.

Thank you for the help!! I have now managed to put up a few pics. Will update again once I have been flowering for a few days.

S8300370.JPG

S8300371.JPG

S8300367.JPG

S8300368.JPG

S8300369.JPG

S8300366.JPG

Ahhhh!!! I am probably a bit stoopid so really sorry for this, why have my pics not come out? I uploaded all fine and then transferred them to here and they don't come out, any ideas?

Ignore me!!

ok just finished the 48hr dark period and will now start the 12/12 lighting. I will post up more pics when I see some more development!!

Fellow growers, starting to get a little smelly in my house and my ladies are not even flowering yet....... As these are in my lounge does anyone have any suggestions? I read somewhere about odor neutralising gel??? Anyone know if this works / is any good? I am un the UK so need to know if there is anything recommended this way? May thanks people.

lot of people use ona pro gel (i have not used it yet but will for next grow)

Hey thanks a lot, much appreciated. Just looked it up, seems pretty good with some good reviews, will give it a whirl, cheers!!

Hey hey Jamesvr6 this is gorilla buds from Hawaii just thought I let you know the ona gel smells like a very strong deoderized bathroom. I'd go with a air scrubber and plus you can use through out grow till end. The gel might need changeing before the final phase......

Yes I forgot to mention if money is an issue then gel is the way to go but the scrubber really does work great when you are ready to invest... Sorry bro

Hey no worries! Are they really effective then, I am intrigued!! I like my gadgets and thats looks like a good one!! How do they work, much noise?

Cheers

Sorry just got back girls was thirsty. Noise yes but not extremly loud though. Get a six inch inline fan place it on top of a carbon filter like a 38 special or can filter place any where in room an turn on fan for little bit more I'd get a speed controller so you can control speed on fan and that'll cut the noise down by half if not more. How it works is sucks all your dirty air in pushes out through carbon filter and clense the air so no matter what dirty air never escapes out your area as long as the fan is on very effective I'm telling you just have to save up some loot or you can look up do it your self scrubbers lots of info out on the net currently using one. Built the filter myself......

Wow great info, thanks a lot! I will start doing some research. The only problem I can forsee is the fact that my plants are all open air as such. So I have 5 on the window sill and 5 in my cupboard. But to keep temps down I have the cupboard door open all the time - so a scrubber may not be ideal for me - shame. I think I might actually be better off leaving a few tubs of that ona gel in the cupboard and round the lounge. I think that may be more practical?

Out of interest I have been paranoid to not over water so have been really careful as to how much I give them. I water from the top a little and then in the dish their in so they can draw some up too. The top are really really dry so they are crispy even after a few days. I bought a moisture metre and when I put that to the bottom of the pot it says 10/10 for wetness. I'm probably just paranoid! I have been checking their weights but its difficult as I have been giving them maybe 1 litre at a time as aganst a full soaking. Any thoughts?

more pics peeps.

Today is day number 4 of flowering.

A few pics, sorry about the quality they are as good as I can get. Having light issues with the camera so next time I move them out I will get some better shots.

Notice the leaf damage - I have this on most of the lower branches???

This was originally to show my grow area - should I move this to a grow journal?

Can a mod move this for me if appropriate please?

Many thanks

Back
Top Bottom