Newbie looking for advice on getting started

Ripper0863

First of all, thank you to all in advance for your words of wisdom and sharing. I am a long time smoker but have never taken the plunge on doing some growing. Half way between lazy and not taking the time to learn was why. Now that I am older (50 this year) I would like to take some time and learn this new hobby. I have been creeping all the threads on here, drooling over the buds, the wicked setups and the sharing of knowledge. Figured it was time to start this journey. Like they say on the poker table, "dont be afraid, come on in, the water is fine"...hehe

Some background first.

We just moved into our condo unit and I have a storage unit that is accessed from outside. No one else has access to it. the access door is right beside our front door of our condo. With that said, I have a few questions in regards to the space and such. In the storage unit is a hot water tank that keeps the room fairly warm. There is no venting to outside so the warm air pretty much stays there except for the little bit that may escape the bottom or the sides of the door itself. I dont think it will be an issue if I put a vent in the door and I dont imagine I will need too to big of one. I am pretty sure that would make for enough fresh air coming in, but again I am new so I could be wrong. That is my first option. It is plenty big enough to house a grow box and with that said, I am looking at various boxes and their setups that will meet my needs.

Here is what I have found so far and I think it will work. My biggest concern is stealth of course as this is a 12 unit condo building. With that said, some of the needs of the grow box are that it will have to be %100 odour free, not a lot of heat and enough room to be able to have a decent harvest without having to setup in my living room...lol

I think I have found the one that will match my needs but would love some feedback on it from those in the know. Below is a link to the box I found that I am pretty sure fits right.

Stanley 336 PRO Turn Key Hydroponic Grow Cabinet with Cloning Chamber

I originally wanted to go with the bloombox from Northern Light but after hearing some reviews I have decided against it. Northern Lights dont use LED's and that is a huge difference for electricity and heat. When I talked to the guy from NL he swore that there would be no heat issues and no smell and when I asked him about why they dont use LED technology he said that you dont get a high enough yield or your buds arent as big.

For me, if that is true, I am not overly concerned about it as the results I have seen on the various threads on :420: show me that the buds are just fine. I will give up a bit, so that my hydro bill and stealth are ok.

My second option is to put the grow box in the spare room in the condo but with family, etc. the stealth part takes a little bit of a hit but not too bad as it just looks like a big metal storage unit.

So my question out there is this. Is the Stanley grow box a decent unit? If in your opinion it isnt please tell me why as I am like a sponge. I want to soak up as much info as I can before jumping in.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any responses.

Ripper:peace:

That hidden room is avery good idea. If the setup comes with a air scrubber u shouldnt have a issue with smell. Can u plant some type of plant that gives off a oder around ur ahed to help mask the mj scent?

Hi, i dont think their is much that would mask the smell plant wise, you would have to use carbon filters and either vent outside to help with temps or make some ona air scrubber buckets, cost next to nothing to make and that would keep the smell down, would just smell like fresh laundry.

either idea would work, how ever if your using hid lights then temps would likely be an issue, temps go up pretty quick with no vents, my grow door has to be open as my plants would cook within a couple of hours, so vents with a fan would help keep temps down, if you put a vent in the door then you would need one lower down to let the cold air in, heat rises so it would suck air in lower down the room.

but having vents can cause problems in flower if any light leaks in during the dark period, if it does you risk hermies, so the vent would need to be light proof,

i run 1x 400 watt hps and my room is 3.5ft by 3.5ft and floor to celing high, i dont have vents as its a brick built cupboard in my apartment/flat, so cant drill big holes in the walls to mount vents, so i have no choice but to have my door open when lights are on, even in winter with no heating on in the room with the cupboard in it,

Back
Top Bottom