Newbie, sprouting issues and droop

Jajunk

Blue Cookies in solo cup of Happy Frog. Covered with plastic bottle for humidity and put under 6500k 23w CFLs about 6 inches away. Sprouted 5 days ago. I'm worried I over watered them, see photo below. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• seedling.jpg
    seedling.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 272
ya looks like its likely overwatering. I'm not seeing perlite in that soil, did you not mix any in?
Whats your pH of water in at?

Let that soil dry out near completely before watering again.

What's your humidity without the bottle over it?

Very low, like probably around 30-35%, we're into cold and dry here now and have heat running at times. I may be able to set up something with an ultrasonic humidifier; I don't have the sprouts in my tent yet because even my 315 LEC I think would be too hot for them if I wanted to keep it close to prevent too much stretch. Open to suggestions though, just going from what I've read so far.

I use 500w MH in a 4' × 4' × 6.5' tent and have it 3' above my sprouts for the first week or two and adjust distance lower according to what is comfortable to my plants as they grow. Always have an oscillating fan blowing between the lamp and top of the plants so they get stronger stems that will keep them from stretching. I'm not sure about led lights but I think it would be about the same just different distance? As long as you can keep temps around 75 to 85 degrees and humidity at around 50% you will be fine. As you figure out your grow tent eventually things will get easier.

Here's a pic of a kush / haze almost 3 week old sprout under 500w MH from day 1, temp 80 degrees humidity 50%.

Attachments

• 20181120_174723.jpg
    20181120_174723.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 231
Nice, yeah I think I'm going to try and move them into the tent today and see how they do. What training are you planning if any?
You can put the cfl lights in your tent also if you're not comfortable using the other light.
I usually top my plants at 10 to 12 inches and bend them down in half give them some selective pruning and recovery time and start flowering. Pic of what they look like at flowering time.

Attachments

• 20180406_121727-1.jpg
    20180406_121727-1.jpg
    694.4 KB · Views: 242
Nice looking girls. What kind of water are you using, that's one of the other things I can't get a good answer on. I started using Deer Park Spring: https://www.nestle-watersna.com/asset-library/documents/dp_eng.pdf, which has the pH of 6.3, now I'm wondering if I should just go straight distilled. My tap (from well) is way too low in pH that I want to mess with. I can't find any kind of concurrence on type of water to use in soil, it's all over the place.

I use tap water and haven't had problems yet so I never had to test for ph levels. I guess I get lucky. I highly recommend reading grow journals see what others are doing and problems they encounter.

Oh trust me, I've looked at many, just some seem all over the place on what works and what didn't. I think I may be over-thinking it; people mention things like micro-nutes not in distilled etc... seems like if you have a good soil that shouldn't matter too much anyway. pH seems to be the one thing people really harp on. Thanks again for all the input.

Ph levels are very important but I try not to stress myself out to much as long as everything is going good. Get a few grows under your belt and it will get easier.

What size tent do you have? And refresh me on what your lighting is and how is that sprout looking?

Just saw your reply. Here's my setup:

2x4x6' Gorilla Lite
Active Air 6" 400CFM with Can 33 attached
315W LEC (Ceramic Metal Halide) bulb in reflective hood running 18-6h.
2 small, non-osc fans
2 1.3 gallon ultrasonic humidifiers outside the tent but ported in via ducting (took two because my exhaust pulls air through the tent so fast, even at lowest setting).

I moved the girls to the tent a few days ago and they seem to be responding well. Day time environment is 75-78F with 50-53% RH. I'm trying to figure out night time environment because it's getting down to 64-66F, with 60-70% humidity (that's with 1 humidifier turning off with lights for the 6 hours of dark). I have it down in my basement, which gets pretty cold at night, even with an oil-filled radiant space heater.

Below is a pic of them. The far right is the BC that had the droop and now has the most new growth (many new small leaves, but seems to still be growing pretty slowly). The middle is another BC, and the left is the SJ, no idea wtf happened to it but I am hoping it survives, my guess is just a bad seed.

I've messed around with the small fans to try and get a "light" breeze on the sprouts, but nothing too strong. They do waver just a tad constantly. Again, another issue I've seen so many varying opinions on all over the webs.

I just germinated another SJ that seems to be growing much better.

BTW, these are all CK seeds... starting to read about many issues with their genetics and very slow growing plants :/, I guess I need to find a better source.

Attachments

• sprouts.jpg
    sprouts.jpg
    921.6 KB · Views: 241
Think I've got everything going good, for anyone who's followed this... below is a pic of a days worth of growth, new small leaves growing fairly quickly on both the BCs (switch places, one with droop on the left now) and I planted the newly germinated SJ in Happy Frog about 1/4" down, didn't water the soil at first like I did the others and you can see the quick growth of the sprout in just a day. I have it under the CFLs with the clear bottle over it, but going to move it to the tent soon.

I think moving the small fans to where they weren't directly blowing on the sprouts and just above them also may have helped. I also watered them yesterday because the soil was fairly dry all the way through.

Attachments

• bcs.jpg
    bcs.jpg
    612.7 KB · Views: 229
  • newsj.jpg
    newsj.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 217
Just saw your reply. Here's my setup:

2x4x6' Gorilla Lite
Active Air 6" 400CFM with Can 33 attached
315W LEC (Ceramic Metal Halide) bulb in reflective hood running 18-6h.
2 small, non-osc fans
2 1.3 gallon ultrasonic humidifiers outside the tent but ported in via ducting (took two because my exhaust pulls air through the tent so fast, even at lowest setting).

I moved the girls to the tent a few days ago and they seem to be responding well. Day time environment is 75-78F with 50-53% RH. I'm trying to figure out night time environment because it's getting down to 64-66F, with 60-70% humidity (that's with 1 humidifier turning off with lights for the 6 hours of dark). I have it down in my basement, which gets pretty cold at night, even with an oil-filled radiant space heater.

Below is a pic of them. The far right is the BC that had the droop and now has the most new growth (many new small leaves, but seems to still be growing pretty slowly). The middle is another BC, and the left is the SJ, no idea wtf happened to it but I am hoping it survives, my guess is just a bad seed.

I've messed around with the small fans to try and get a "light" breeze on the sprouts, but nothing too strong. They do waver just a tad constantly. Again, another issue I've seen so many varying opinions on all over the webs.

I just germinated another SJ that seems to be growing much better.

BTW, these are all CK seeds... starting to read about many issues with their genetics and very slow growing plants :/, I guess I need to find a better source.
Your temps and humidity are about right and you can always blow the fan at the wall of the tent for a while if you just want to move the air without moving the sprouts.

Back
Top Bottom