Nute Burn or Nutrient Lockout? And is it fixable?

DicenDoor

Hey Gang,

Autoflower in Ocean Forest soil.

Plants are between 42 - 45 days.

I pH between 6-6.5.

Been doing general hydroponics micro and bloom since week 4. Doing cal-mag every other week.
Per gallon
  1. Micro 2ml
  2. Bloom 2ml
  3. Cal mag 2ml
My next nutes will be different, less micro more bloom.

I'm following vpd as best I can.

All of this said, it's my first so I could have made a mistake.

They have been like this for about 4 days.

I gave nutrients 2 days ago. And today I made sure to pH to 6.2 and overwater to try and make sure soil has correct pH. Planning to give next nutes on next Wednesday .

Is this nute burn or a deficiency? Should I be worried, can it be fixed?

20230414_191916.jpg

20230414_191914.jpg

20230411_145628.jpg

20230411_145619.jpg

To me it looks like your plant is suffering from a nutrient deficiency and not a lockout or nutrient overdose situation. It is unlikely that you will fix the leaves but by doing some readjusting of the feedings you can slow down the change in the loss of color in the leaves.

The way I see it your plants need more Nitrogen and really need for you to jump on a Potassium shortage. We often see similar problems showing up in the second or third week after flowering starts with the growers posting almost identical photos. The plants are demanding more than the soil can supply so it is up to the grower to add what is missing.

The situation can be fixed by re-adjusting or boosting your feeding schedule and adding the missing General Hydroponics MicroGro product which is the primary source of Potassium for the GH trio. It is the one that supplies the Potassium since the other two have very, very little of this macro-nutrient. Plus there is a bit more of the Nitrogen in the FloraGro.

The soil you are using is a good one and very popular. However the amendments that FoxFarms adds are a short term and mid-term source of Nitrogen. They mention on the web page for the soil: "There’s no need for nitrogen fertilizers at first; instead try FoxFarm Big Bloom® Liquid Plant Food to get things started.". Good chance that the at first means up to the beginning of flowering.

The dosage you mention for the GH Micro and Bloom look really light. They read like they are below the recommended Light Feed on the GH Feeding Schedule. Consider buying the "Gro" produc and moving up to the "Medium Feed" part on the schedule.

And today I made sure to pH to 6.2 and overwater to try and make sure soil has correct pH.
Work on the missing nutrients and maintain a proper pH for the water being used for watering. But trying to figure out the actual pH of the soil is something that often leads us down a rabbit hole that goes nowhere. As some of the others have mentioned over the years trying to figure out the soil pH is like a dog chasing its tail. We end up running around in circles and going nowhere.

I check my tap water pH about once a year now-a-days and leave it at that. It has not shown a noticeable change in decades. Some soil growers do not even check their water pH that often. The soil will take care of most minor changes in the water's pH. Constant checking of water pH is necessary for hydroponic styles of growing but healthy soils take care of themselves;).

It happens to most of us. The first plants are a learning experience. But, plant after plant and grow after grow we learn from what goes wrong and what goes right until just about everything has started to fall into place.

Other than those leaves starting to show that there are deficiencies beginning the plants overall appearance looks healthy.

Hey Gang,

Autoflower in Ocean Forest soil.

Plants are between 42 - 45 days.

I pH between 6-6.5.

Been doing general hydroponics micro and bloom since week 4. Doing cal-mag every other week.
Per gallon
  1. Micro 2ml
  2. Bloom 2ml
  3. Cal mag 2ml
My next nutes will be different, less micro more bloom.

I'm following vpd as best I can.

They have been like this for about 4 days.

I gave nutrients 2 days ago. And today I made sure to pH to 6.2 and overwater to try and make sure soil has correct pH. Planning to give next nutes on next Wednesday .

20230414_191916.jpg

20230414_191914.jpg

20230411_145628.jpg

20230411_145619.jpg
Hey @DicenDoor hope you are well my friend.
I agree with @SmokingWings . :ciao: Nice write up.:thumb:
I put calmag in my plain water first every time.
Then nutrients according to the schedule.
It helps with nutrient uptake.
Have a great day. :passitleft:

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

To me it looks like your plant is suffering from a nutrient deficiency and not a lockout or nutrient overdose situation. It is unlikely that you will fix the leaves but by doing some readjusting of the feedings you can slow down the change in the loss of color in the leaves...
Thanks so much for this. I had landed on Nitrogen deficiency today, but didn't even think of Potassium. Picking up the Gro today and will add tonight.

I'll also up my numbers. Assuming I should stick to still nutrients only once a week, but just higher numbers.

This has been a blast. I already have more seeds for my next grow. Will probably wait a month or so after finishing as a nice break, and then back at it.

I want to thank everyone on this forum, as I have received help like this before. Hoping as I learn I can pay it forward.

If you don't mind,

For my own information, the damage increased a bit since the original pictures.

Should I expect the plant to rebound within a day after adding required nutrients?

Should I also expect this to impact the quality, size, quantity of the affected plants? I am growing 3. Two plants had the issue, one worse than the other.

Thanks

If you don't mind,

For my own information, the damage increased a bit since the original pictures.

Should I expect the plant to rebound within a day after adding required nutrients?
Hydro will show signs of improvement fairly quickly, soil takes a few days.
Don't remove damaged leaves, but they probably won't improve.
If they die and fall of fine.
Should I also expect this to impact the quality, size, quantity of the affected plants?
Everything has an effect on end quality and size.
Feed them properly from here on in.
And the effect should be minimal.
I am growing 3. Two plants had the issue, one worse than the other.
Are your lights at 100%?
How far away are they?

Bill284 😎

I'll also up my numbers. Assuming I should stick to still nutrients only once a week, but just higher numbers.
The feeding schedule is somewhere on the General Hydroponics web site. You can download the pdf and keep it handy for their recommended amounts and which dosage to use for which week. Or keep a link to the schedule and jump to it when needed.

No. It is unlikely that you will fix the leaves but by doing some readjusting of the feedings you can slow down the change in the loss of color in the leaves.

If the problem is caught very early I have seen leaves turn a deeper green with when the Nitrogen levels are increased. But once the leaves turn a nice yellow color it is what it is. Same with the Potassium. A deficiency there starts to show by a loss of green along the very edge of the fingers on the leaf. Once the fading pale green turns to yellow it does not seem possible to fix it.

The idea is to get a hold on the issue and then slow down the change. Photosynthesis takes place in the green plant tissue and that includes some of the young stems and even the green parts of the flower. The way I see it, the best thing do is to start using the feeding schedule for flowering plants before the actual signs of flowering start to show.

I had landed on Nitrogen deficiency today,
It is a minor deficiency on your plants. I have had worse myself and seen worse. But, out of curiosity, what helped you land on a Nitrogen deficiency?

It is a minor deficiency on your plants. I have had worse myself and seen worse. But, out of curiosity, what helped you land on a Nitrogen deficiency?
I noticed the issues about 5 days ago. It was around a nutrient feeding time so I proceeded as usual.

The issue had not gone away and I did some more research, and I was unsure if it was nutrient lock out, nutrient deficiency, or burn. I eliminated burn by the symptoms and that if anything I was under doing it.

To be sure during the next watering (2ish days later) I made sure to saturate the soil with water pHd correctly and tested the run off to make sure it was in range. (Not something I usually do, but was investigating).

about a day or two after it looked a little worse. I did some more research and with what I found (color, location, etc) plus what I've already tried, decided it was N deficiency. So today I did a small watering with just N, and even sprayed the leaves with N water.

Tonight I'll do a light watering with P water and will up my nutrients based on the chart for next nute feeding if things are looking good.

Hydro will show signs of improvement fairly quickly, soil takes a few days.
Don't remove damaged leaves, but they probably won't improve.
If they die and fall of fine.

Everything has an effect on end quality and size.
Feed them properly from here on in.
And the effect should be minimal.

Are your lights at 100%?
How far away are they?

Bill284 😎
Viparspectra 4200 I think, 100% and as its entering flower I have them between 12-18 inches.

Viparspectra 4200 I think, 100% and as its entering flower I have them between 12-18 inches.
Perfect, @ViparSpectra are good.
Have you met Vipar Val?
Great representative of their company.
Just a nice lady.
Should do well. :thumb:

Stay Safe
Bill284 😎

Back
Top Bottom