Odor Sok

Just added an Odor Sok to my setup and it killed the smell almost instantly. I got a 6 inch by 24 inch which is rated at 450cfm and my 6 inch fan is 449. It was 80 bucks shipped from ebay. Great alternative to the heavy metal can filters as far as size weight and flexibility. Not sure how its longevity will be. They say 6 months. Not sure if thats counting 12 hrs a day or 24. My fans only run when the lights are on which is 12 hours. They come in different sizes. Impressed so far. Just thought I'd share. :peace:

Odor sok last 2 months -3 months tops then the place starting to stink again. IMO not a great product for longevity. Effective at first though. You can spend some more money and get a better can style filter if you do some research. :peace:

Hey McBudz/All,
I am getting my plans finalized for the slider window / exhaust etc we had chatted about on the grow room setup forum. I am trying to decide between a ODOR SOK and the traditional CAN Filter.
I know with CANs you can either push or pull the air through. I believe I want to pull the air through so that I am not pushing stinky air
out of the room vs what I want which is to pull air in from outside(positive pressure) and have it sucked through the filter and exhausted outside.

I have a portable A/C I bought which has an exhaust and I was planning on adding a Y to the exhaust to port the Carbon Filter exhaust.

My question is can an ODOR SOK have air pulled into/thru it as I am describing or can it just be pushed into the air sock? It is describable as a collapsable bag almost like a balloon. With that being said it would seem it would have to have air pushed into it to keep it inflated and functional?

My concern is I don't want to be pushing air out of the room which is what would seem to happen if the air is not pulled through the filter? Does this make sense?

Costco has the Sharp CVP-10PC on sale for $449 and also has a $20 rebate. This is the quiestest Portable A/C on the market and can act as a Cooler, Dehumidifier, Exhaust, or just plain fan only 38db!!

L8R,
Grooven420

Well the sok is all crumpled up when it comes to you. It uses a plastic screen (like those gutter covers) and metal rings that snap into place (bottom, middle top) of filter. This keeps the sok opened up and firm. I would imagine at this point intake or exhaust is ok as long as you dont have too high of a CFM fan.

Can style filter is best for the long haul while the odor sok is a sorta cheap fix for the short term. In the end its more cost effective to purchase a can style filter where the charcoal can be easily replaced. Such as with a foothill-filter which is what I am using today. 6 x 24 inch 12 pounds of activated carbon for about 120. can get refill from the company for 3 bucks a pound if you are returning customer I believe.

Also I'm no HVAC guy but the hose on a portable AC unit is not a straight exhaust like you would think. Or else the unit would be sucking the cold air out just as quickly as it was putting it in. It has more to do with getting warmer outside air to pass across the freon coils to catalyze the freon state change. Most likely liquid back to gas. Its these state changes that cause the cooling effect of an A/C unit. I may be talking out my ass but this is my understanding of how AC units work. Not sure how the one you describes works but I doubt it exhaust and cools simultaneously.

Hey McBudz/All,
I am getting my plans finalized for the slider window / exhaust etc we had chatted about on the grow room setup forum. I am trying to decide between a ODOR SOK and the traditional CAN Filter.
I know with CANs you can either push or pull the air through. I believe I want to pull the air through so that I am not pushing stinky air
out of the room vs what I want which is to pull air in from outside(positive pressure) and have it sucked through the filter and exhausted outside.

I have a portable A/C I bought which has an exhaust and I was planning on adding a Y to the exhaust to port the Carbon Filter exhaust.

My question is can an ODOR SOK have air pulled into/thru it as I am describing or can it just be pushed into the air sock? It is describable as a collapsable bag almost like a balloon. With that being said it would seem it would have to have air pushed into it to keep it inflated and functional?

My concern is I don't want to be pushing air out of the room which is what would seem to happen if the air is not pulled through the filter? Does this make sense?

Costco has the Sharp CVP-10PC on sale for $449 and also has a $20 rebate. This is the quiestest Portable A/C on the market and can act as a Cooler, Dehumidifier, Exhaust, or just plain fan only 38db!!

L8R,
Grooven420

Yes you could very well use the spent odor sok as in intake filter. Actually not a bad idea.

I bet it would work great to keep bugs and dust from making it through the intakes, what do you think McBudz?

Hey McBudz,
You may have a good point there about the Exhaust on the portable A/C. While I realize it can't Ventilate and cool at the same time it does have a mode which indicates it can directly vent indoor air to the outside. Not real useful for me unless ran through a charcoal filter BUT attaching a Y connector to this exhaust hose and running a CAN filter to pull air in through the filter and outside might be a good option.
With that being said I believe believe I will still need a 2nd opening in the window somehow to be able to pull fresh air in. I am going to take a look at the plastic holder that goes in the window and see if something can be done or simply see if I can buy a Dual Vented window panel for Portable A/C's that are dual vented. Otherwise correct me if I am wrong when I run the CAN Filter and pull air in through and exhaust to the outside I won't have air flow coming into the room. The room is pretty well sealed so I don't know how else to get air pumped into the room to accomodate the pulling/exhaust action of the CAN Filter.

Any Thoughts? Or is this correct thinking?

L8R,
Grooven420

yes you ultimately have to replace the exhausted air with some sort of fresh intake. Most choose to do this passively. meaning the force the exhaust out with a fan and ducting and have a opening somewhere on the opposite side of the room that allows the vacuum effect to pull fresh air in. The passive intake should be about 3 times the size of the powered exhaust. 6 inch exhaust fan = 18 inch passive intake. etc.

With the heat coming I'm trying to figure out a way to manage my setup. I'm thinking of a closed vent system for the reflectors. outside to outside with the dual port at the window like you mentioned. Thats not a big deal really. Just need a lot of duct which is on its way as well as 6 inch wall mount flanges. Since my windows are sideways sliders I will fill in the gap with plexy glass. I will put black carbon filter fabric over the ports so they dont look like ports from the outside and acts as sort of a filter for crap that gets sucked through the screen. I was also considering masking it buy butting one of those dual fanned window fans in there in front of the duct ports as a nice concealment. Its on the third floor so no one is looking that close but still need to be safe.

If I just exhaust out as I'm doing now I will be losing A/C at 449 CFM lol. eph that.

Only thing with this setup is I need to get another fan for my filter.

Hey McBudz,
I pulled the trigger on upgrading some equipment. I have the pieces but I am still really struggling with what is the best setup with what I have ordered. We are pretty much in the same boat as we both only have a single slider window for intake/exhaust.
I have upgraded to the Magnum 6XXL vented hoods as I am adding a couple of 1000W Luma's. I really like the idea of the 'closed vent hood system' but I guess where I am still struggling is we still need an intake or are you planning on a passive intake in which if you have your CAN Filter set up to where it is pulling air through the filter it would create a vacuum to force air in through the passive vent?

I also have a 2nd room/veg room which I have to consider for fresh
air and possibly exhaust as I am going to use a 1000W Lumatek and will have the Magnum 6XXL in the room. That room is not real stinky of course and because of that I have though of simply pulling the air out via inline fan for the vented hoods and just pull the air from the veg room. Both rooms are in the basement so it still stay relatively cool in summer and if I can pull the air out of the reflectors it should keep it relatively moderate temps. Beyond that I do have a portable A/C that I bought. The problem is that the Port A/C does not have a standard size exhaust hose as I recently found out which make it a bit difficult to tie anything into it.

My goal is to make my setup as simple as possible with minimal fans needed...

Some Thoughts?
1) To be able to use a single fan in a closed vent refl system...what
would be an easy way to at times simply exhaust the hot air
from the refl's and then afterwards use the same fan somehow
to pull in Fresh air and send through a different duct via a 6" Y?
2) I do have central air vents in both rooms which can help but of
course the stinky room is going to get substantially hotter than
the rest of the house so when it needs cooling down the
thermostat for the Central Air may not always be telling the A/C
to kick on. Regardless, this can help in cooling the only thing I
have a problem with is the stink floats up into the duct and then
gets dispersed through the house. BUT once my can fan
comes and I have it pulling air though the filter creating a
vacuum I kinda wonder if it would in effect pull somewhat fresh
air in through the duct work from the rest of the house? It
would be great to find some sort of backflow damper for the
central air vent in that room.
3) In making any sort of venting/exhaust to via the slider window...
Is your thought to create a 'Box' of some sort a bit back from
the window and leave the window open? As with your idea of
disguising it with a Dual Fan Window jobby? If so the only
question I have is I would think you need the exhaust fairly
close to the actual window opening to ensure it gets out rather
than being stuck in between the window and the box built
behind it. Not sure?
4) One guy has tried to convince me that since I have a Port A/C
and I can exhaust the heat from my lights via closed loop I
really don't need fresh air intake at all as long as I have a
method of providing CO2. I agree with his take but I can't
afford a CO2 controller and tanks all that jazz right now. I
have thought about doing the Yeast/water thing which there
is a STICKY on how to do that but I get concerned with it being
in a basement and CO2 being heavier than air and having
no real control over the Liter Bottle/5 Gallon bucket with Lid
yeast/water CO2 method of possibly getting dangerous levels
of CO2 if there is no exhaust. I know you can die from too
much CO2 but I am not sure if the yeast/water method really
creates enough to be concerned about? No one seems to be
able to answer that...

Sorry for the long reply but a lot going through the mind these days and want to get it set up right so I don't have to keep f***'ing around with the setup....

L8R,
Grooven420

I just got one installed. They can EITHER push or pull. There is a plastic gridded coil that goes inside the "sock". Mine was a version 2. They say it can be washed (NO detergent) and then tumble dry. They claim the tumble drying "re-activates" the sock. Dunno. I will keep all posted. Under my house smells kinda....high-times'ish? Hehe..

Tomorrow afternoon, I will crawl back under house and see how well it's doing. There was a noticeable amount of back-pressure when I put the sock on, so keeping it cleans seems paramount. I was also surprised the amount of heat being blown out. Good luck and keep me posted!:grinjoint:

Hey McBudz/All,

L8R,
Grooven420

Back
Top Bottom