OK - What's the best lighting?

When we tried to talk the Bridgelux with our supplier, we found they are on holiday now for the coming Chinese lunar new year !!!! The whole country will be on holiday in the next two weeks, today is Friday, holiday will begin tomorrow. I will keep working and promise all our customers will get the products on time. we can not ship products from China now and fortunately, we have them in our overseas warehouse.

As to the Bridgelux, if it is available or acceptable, we will wait till our supplier back and confirm with us . we need some information from them .

When we tried to talk the Bridgelux with our supplier, we found they are on holiday now for the coming Chinese lunar new year !!!! The whole country will be on holiday in the next two weeks, today is Friday, holiday will begin tomorrow. I will keep working and promise all our customers will get the products on time. we can not ship products from China now and fortunately, we have them in our overseas warehouse.

As to the Bridgelux, if it is available or acceptable, we will wait till our supplier back and confirm with us . we need some information from them .
Thks Sara hope to see what you come up with.

A Licenced Medicinal Cannabis User

I will try to get information ASAP. I will get information in half month I think. Chinese Lunar new year holiday is the longest holiday in China :)
Thks Sara hope to see what you come up with.

Look at Vero 18 chips too. Less lumens per chip but they're 1/3 the price. On a 8 cob setup it would still be much brighter than the current mars systems at 60,000 lumens.
By comparison a 8 bulb T5 HO puts out 7000 lumens.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

If we only want high lumens, the current light we can change spectrum to all 6500K white, the lumens will be very high. we are using very white color now, main color is red, then it is blue and white, then infrared.

James, have you used CREE CXB 3590 or Vero series chips? or you only red on internet? Thanks for your help on our new COB light, we want to make a great light and suit for most growers, not only on price, but also the quality and grow result. :high-five:
Look at Vero 18 chips too. Less lumens per chip but they're 1/3 the price. On a 8 cob setup it would still be much brighter than the current mars systems at 60,000 lumens.
By comparison a 8 bulb T5 HO puts out 7000 lumens.

As horticulturist say. "Lumens are for humans". Plants unfortunately do not "see" lumens. Plants see PAR or Photosynthetically Active Radiation. This has been the major drawback of every horticultural lighting company. Rating a light in lumens or watts will not get the professional "Grow light" consumer convinced. My first recommendation would be to acquire an optics engineer who has prolific skills with a PAR meter. If you can produce and market a light that advertises it's par rating (usually in PPF or PPFD) you will definitely have a product that will sell.
The problem with par (or PPFD) is that it's not a constant measurement, it changes as the light gets further away and it's not an actual "measurement" to begin with.Iit's a wavelength. It's also not the only "measurement" for horticultural lighting. PPF tells us how many photons of light are emitted by a light source each second. PPFD tells us how densely the fixture distributes the light photons on a one meter square target (i.e. your plants and algae) in one second. DLI tells us how many photons were delivered to a one meter square target in a full photoperiod (i.e. a day).

You can see how this could get complicated when advertised on a box or marketing a light.
But, a light that says 60,000 Lumens and has a PPF rating (ie 1200 ppf at 30") would probably market better to professionals than one that says "1000w". Especially since I've never seen a Mars light that actually draws 1000 watts from the wall. All lighting companies do this. They advertise it as "watts equivalent". But since plants don't use watts a better system needs to be in place.
Hope this helps.
Happy holidays.

Thank you James, yes, we do have PAR information and when we make product, we will check PAR and coverage both. actually, I talked with another man yesterday, from his words, it seems higher lumens means higher PAR, We are confirming if that is right in our lab now.

But I do feel your suggestion is very good, ads as PAR information but not watt only, watt means nothing actually if plants can not get it . :thumb: Our ads will change soon :) when our people back from holiday, I will let them do this :) thank you so much james. if you are in China, I want to treat you a delicious meal to express my grateful ,lol, Chinese culture.
As horticulturist say. "Lumens are for humans". Plants unfortunately do not "see" lumens. Plants see PAR or Photosynthetically Active Radiation. This has been the major drawback of every horticultural lighting company. Rating a light in lumens or watts will not get the professional "Grow light" consumer convinced. My first recommendation would be to acquire an optics engineer who has prolific skills with a PAR meter. If you can produce and market a light that advertises it's par rating (usually in PPF or PPFD) you will definitely have a product that will sell.
The problem with par (or PPFD) is that it's not a constant measurement, it changes as the light gets further away and it's not an actual "measurement" to begin with.Iit's a wavelength. It's also not the only "measurement" for horticultural lighting. PPF tells us how many photons of light are emitted by a light source each second. PPFD tells us how densely the fixture distributes the light photons on a one meter square target (i.e. your plants and algae) in one second. DLI tells us how many photons were delivered to a one meter square target in a full photoperiod (i.e. a day).

You can see how this could get complicated when advertised on a box or marketing a light.
But, a light that says 60,000 Lumens and has a PPF rating (ie 1200 ppf at 30") would probably market better to professionals than one that says "1000w". Especially since I've never seen a Mars light that actually draws 1000 watts from the wall. All lighting companies do this. They advertise it as "watts equivalent". But since plants don't use watts a better system needs to be in place.
Hope this helps.
Happy holidays.

Ok sara thks

Yeah look into the vero29 and 18 chips and at 3500k and 4000k

4 light setup for each.

Will do and test ASAP. :circle-of-love:
Ok sara thks

Yeah look into the vero29 and 18 chips and at 3500k and 4000k

4 light setup for each.

Depending on the height of your grow area, I would look into the Quantum boards from NorthernGrowlights.com.
I will look into them thks.

I maybe buying a whole tent grow kit from a place in Canada but the lighting is HPS and MH 2 x600 HPS and 2 x 600w MH bulbs for a 8 wide x 8 wide x 6.5 high tent.

I can upgrade for a few bucks more to 1000w lights.

Also can choose sunhoods to air duct cool or cool tubes.. i am on the fence as to which to get.

But for 1500.00 you get a lot of stuff... inline 6" or 8" or 10" duct fan with duct work your choice.. i probably go 8" soni have for any future upgrade too.

Also get hangers and much more.

Then when i want to get Cob lighting i can just purchase later on.

Not to get into a HID/LED debate because that's not where I'm coming from, but on your last point- I've been growing for about ten years now with HID. First few years were with ancient magnetic ballasts I was given- and clueless Neanderthal style growing practices. Last five years I've used pretty much the same three 600w digital ballasts -just had to replace one last week. During that time I've grown lots of nice buds and watched LEDs go from kind of an expensive bad joke to now possibly surpassing HIDs, at least in a few very expensive cases. The technology still isn't as economical overall though. Mainly the reason I'm not rushing out to buy LED is that the tech seems to be still developing so fast, while my HIDs are still plugging along growing great buds. Any LED I'd bought in the last few years I think would be totally outdated and inferior to the new LEDs, and still inferior to the lights I have now, and never would have paid for itself in the meantime. At least that's the way it seems to me.

Not to get into a HID/LED debate because that's not where I'm coming from, but on your last point- I've been growing for about ten years now with HID. First few years were with ancient magnetic ballasts I was given- and clueless Neanderthal style growing practices. Last five years I've used pretty much the same three 600w digital ballasts -just had to replace one last week. During that time I've grown lots of nice buds and watched LEDs go from kind of an expensive bad joke to now possibly surpassing HIDs, at least in a few very expensive cases. The technology still isn't as economical overall though. Mainly the reason I'm not rushing out to buy LED is that the tech seems to be still developing so fast, while my HIDs are still plugging along growing great buds. Any LED I'd bought in the last few years I think would be totally outdated and inferior to the new LEDs, and still inferior to the lights I have now, and never would have paid for itself in the meantime. At least that's the way it seems to me.

I love digital ballasts. I'm an even bigger fan of the ceramic metal halide with integrated ballasts. Unfortunately where I live the electricity rates are ridiculous so I went to custom cob led. I honestly must say my bill is lighter and my buds are bigger. And that's going from old HPS/MH swap.
As for LED, once you have the driver's, heatsinks and framework...it's relatively cheap to swap out the COB chips as better ones become available. I just picked up 7 Vero 29 BXRC-40E10K0-L-23 (older 10,000 Lm chip) for $14 each on eBay. Chips are coming down in price drastically. Vero, CLU and CXM all have higher performance, smaller form factor chips that perform as well or better than the $80 chips that were out just a year ago.

Thanks. Great info. Kind of agrees/disagrees with my point that things are changing quickly. Encouraging though. My power costs about 9c per KWH so I suppose it's cheaper than most places. Rising pretty quckly though.

Thanks. Great info. Kind of agrees/disagrees with my point that things are changing quickly. Encouraging though. My power costs about 9c per KWH so I suppose it's cheaper than most places. Rising pretty quckly though.

After taxes, delivery and "maintenance fees" my electricity is 32 cents per KWH.
So you can see why I put the HIDs away. Lol.

Well i rent where lights and water are included in the rent... so i can squeeze hydro all i need lol

Well i rent where lights and water are included in the rent... so i can squeeze hydro all i need lol

You're lucky. I'd have a 75 cob array running 24/7 if I had free hydro.

Did you find COBs yet?

You're lucky. I'd have a 75 cob array running 24/7 if I had free hydro.

Did you find COBs yet?

Naw i did not i am gonna wait a bit as i can get a 8 x 8 x 7 high tent combo with 2 x 600w hps and 2 x 600 mh bulbs and hoods and ducting 6" or even up to 10" and inline fan and carbon filter and temp gauge and timer for 1500.00 Canadian to my door.. not bad eh?

Naw i did not i am gonna wait a bit as i can get a 8 x 8 x 7 high tent combo with 2 x 600w hps and 2 x 600 mh bulbs and hoods and ducting 6" or even up to 10" and inline fan and carbon filter and temp gauge and timer for 1500.00 Canadian to my door.. not bad eh?

Check my kijiji ad posted in Hamilton. Just search "professional Grow light" on kijiji.
I found a parts wholesaler and brought cob array prices well below what timber is charging.
Peace.

Check my kijiji ad posted in Hamilton. Just search "professional Grow light" on kijiji.
I found a parts wholesaler and brought cob array prices well below what timber is charging.
Peace.

Ok i will look into it when the time comes to go to Cob, but will do Hps/Mh at first cause of the good deal.

Back
Top Bottom