Opinions welcome! Just what is fair?

Lily was here

This is my first question here so apologies if I am in the wrong place. After spending so many hours reading and learning on this site I thought this would be the best place to get some advice from like minded people.

My husband and I had an opportunity a couple of months ago to obtain 2 very healthy White Widow plants at a cost of $200 each (very reasonable) as the owner could no longer take care of them. They were too good to pass up and 2 months later we are so glad we got them.

We only had one day to say yes as the previous owner was getting on a plane and we did not actually have the funds on that day so a friend offered to lend us the $200 for one plant while she purchased the other for herself. We repaid the $200 only 2 days later so it was a short term loan. The friend was not in a situation herself where she could grow her plant so we agreed to raise hers with ours in our room. Initially my husband was supposed to speak to her to finalise the agreement on the split but I have just discovered that the chat never happened. The friend knew (she was told by me more than once) that they would be having that chat. It just didnt happen.

Now we are three weeks away from harvest. She has contributed her share towards nutirents during the grow. That has been her only contribution apart from the initial loan. She did also offer to pay some money towards the power bill but I declined that offer knowing it would be sorted out at the end.

Now the friend is saying that she thought she was getting 100% of the harvest from her plant. She believes that is fair because she lent us the $200 for 2 days to get the plant in the first place.

I was shocked when she told me this and I explained to her that normally the grower would be getting something for all the work, the risk, the power (2 600wt HPS) & water etc etc.

She believes that is not really fair, but stated that perhaps a quarter, or a third of her harvest coming to us is the absolute most she could accept. She was not happy about it though.

Obviously I've learnt a lesson here and will never agree to help a friend like this again as it has only resulted in problems but I'd love to get some impartial opinions on this one as I'm not really sure what is fair here.

Cheers from Oz!

How about taking an amount equal to the percentage she charged for the short term loan that allowed you to get this great deal?

How about taking an amount equal to the percentage she charged for the short term loan that allowed you to get this great deal?

In theory that is actually an excellent idea but no interest was charged for the loan.

The loan was only for a couple of days and we have lent her money in the past with no interest mentioned. Just a small loan between mates you know?

Suddenly it seems there IS interest on HER loan lol.

But if there WAS interest then your idea would've been pretty fair I think. Cheers tommysmokes!

when u do illegal things friends who turn into enemies are dangerous.......cut ties

Could not agree more lost all my freinds when I started growing....some where jealous some where mad others wanted to come over all the time cuz they knew i had it like that....they saw it like i did not pay for the weed so its like free why cant i share...lol tell them why dont you water and care and look after these plants for 90 days yourself then...lol point being ppl always looking for a come up at someone elses expense but tred carefully last thing you want is for your friend to become spiteful......

That's a rough one. I try my best not to pedal to/with close friends/family it causes unforeseen issues like you got here. Cash is king and tress are well trees. I'd get them the money they lent you and then tell them to screw. They can't ask for anything you did with the money, that's bologna.. even if they know it was for the plant they can't ask you for part of the harvest plus the cash back. That is like 200% on the loan. I have unfortunately pushed people away over stuff like this involving trees but if they are that type of person I figure I don't need them in my world. Like you said it was a loan between buddies there are no contracts to sign on the dotted line and if they wanted that in the first place they should of laid that on the table before they lent ya the money.

Just my 2 cents. Much Love -Fish

Fish, one of us is confused cause I thought the friend bought one plant and loaned them(the poster) the money for the second(which was paid back in days) and raised both without a agreement of split.

it sounds like the friendly venture that gone sour with greed to me. if she gives a 1/4-1/3 of her plant then thats about a 65-35 split of total product(assuming plants are equal) for a freindly venture that seems fair. thats extra 30% has to be enough to cover electric and water with some to spare for your efforts.

Hippie you are correct, I read it over a second time and it makes a bit more sense now.

I think she should have been told about your terms in order to take your cut.If it were me I would give her the whole plants because I failed to mention to her the cost of electric.You could work out what it costed you to grow her plant and charge her or you could think about if she didn't loan you the money then neither of you would be harvesting anything:)

Clones are usually between 10 and 30 dollars.I think both of you paid too much for the plants..

Obviously I've learnt a lesson here and will never agree to help a friend like this again as it has only resulted in problems but I'd love to get some impartial opinions on this one as I'm not really sure what is fair here.

Cheers from Oz!

I believe that you learned the wrong lesson.

Maybe the lesson learned is to get the deal square before the end...

Maybe the lesson learned is that you need to be more generous with friends....

IMO... she loaned you the initial amount. Without that generous loan... you would have nothing. A friend helped you out when you asked... and now there is confusion which is due to your own side not setting up the rules. I note in your post that you express nothing but happiness about getting the plant... maintaining the plant... and everything else. You did benefit in some small way.

Why not save the friendship and meet her demands gladly? I would have no problem with a 25% grower tax, you might even talk me into 50% as being fair (simply on the basis of risk)... had things been worked out in advance. After all, there is no guarantee that you would have ended up at 100% if you HAD talked with her... it could be the same result.

If you reveal your secrets to the wind, you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees

This is my first question here so apologies if I am in the wrong place. After spending so many hours reading and learning on this site I thought this would be the best place to get some advice from like minded people.

My husband and I had an opportunity a couple of months ago to obtain 2 very healthy White Widow plants at a cost of $200 each (very reasonable) as the owner could no longer take care of them. They were too good to pass up and 2 months later we are so glad we got them.

We only had one day to say yes as the previous owner was getting on a plane and we did not actually have the funds on that day so a friend offered to lend us the $200 for one plant while she purchased the other for herself. We repaid the $200 only 2 days later so it was a short term loan. The friend was not in a situation herself where she could grow her plant so we agreed to raise hers with ours in our room. Initially my husband was supposed to speak to her to finalise the agreement on the split but I have just discovered that the chat never happened. The friend knew (she was told by me more than once) that they would be having that chat. It just didnt happen.

Now we are three weeks away from harvest. She has contributed her share towards nutirents during the grow. That has been her only contribution apart from the initial loan. She did also offer to pay some money towards the power bill but I declined that offer knowing it would be sorted out at the end.

Now the friend is saying that she thought she was getting 100% of the harvest from her plant. She believes that is fair because she lent us the $200 for 2 days to get the plant in the first place.

I was shocked when she told me this and I explained to her that normally the grower would be getting something for all the work, the risk, the power (2 600wt HPS) & water etc etc.

She believes that is not really fair, but stated that perhaps a quarter, or a third of her harvest coming to us is the absolute most she could accept. She was not happy about it though.

Cheers from Oz!

I think your being unfair she lent you the money and like you said chipped in on nutes and you refused help with power costs .I grow with friends 4 in total we all help each other if one of us is skint one month week or whatever it don't matter what goes around comes around works for us anyway and is it worth loosing what must be a good friend to be in this situation for.
Hope you sort it anyway no one likes stress

had a friend that gave me some clones for a grow a few years back. The deal was 50/50 on the outcome. But the deal was made in advance

had a friend that gave me some clones for a grow a few years back. The deal was 50/50 on the outcome. But the deal was made in advance

Seems to be on the high end of fair to me.

But it WAS fair since everyone agreed initially and then followed thru...

This is an easy one. You set aside everything that you think would be fair and you do something that is absolutely one sided towards benefiting your friend.

You handle the harvest alone and without anyone's help or input.
You give her 100% of her plant (minus 1/4 ounce) for yourselves.)
You give her 50% of the loaned plant. (You keep 1/4 of the total harvest + 1/4oz from above...)
She gets 3/4 total harvest - 1/4 oz (from above).
the 1/4 oz you keep is the best of it.

You tell her that you are giving her 3/4 of the total harvest....... You tell her that she was generous then, and you want to make sure she sees it reciprocally, your generosity here. You tell her thank you!! and make sure she sees that you want her happy about how things worked regardless of how it will turn out for you and the husband. You make sure your friend is on the winning end.

When you harvest, cut the tops and the big bus, but prepare the plant for a regeneration, second round. keep the fan leaves. keep the plant in tact as much as possible.

Give her protion of the harvest untrimmed but dried to you friend. Call it square. Make sure she sees that she got the lions share of the harvest. Make sure she sees that you would do anything to make it right for her.

Then regenerate the two plants for another harvest, and 4 months later, you are having round two, and its all yours, and you keep a friend, and you have what you needed to get through for a few months.

What you don't do is try and be fair... being fair is the equivalent to greed here in this situation.

Then after you resolved to make it right, a real friend, a true friend, a non-greedy worthwhile person, will see the outcome you are proposing and they will not be comfortable with it and will make mitigation. Someone who might not be worth keeping as a friend, someone that is "fair-weather" will take the "deal" and you can carefully and with dignity, slowly remove them from your contacts. You will see the true person you are calling a friend when you short yourself.

This is what I would do.

I would never, haggle this to resolution.
If all you can see is $ as you work this out, you are going to fail miserably and lose a friend and have legal liabilities out there that benefit no-one.

Back
Top Bottom