Options for PH testing equipment?

RandyL

I'd like to hear about my best options for PH testing equipment. I was out looking at PH meters yesterday, and they were all in the $60 to $100 price range. Plus the calibration solution for 4.0 and 7.0 PH. All the meters were made by Hanna, is this a good reliable brand?

I was talking to someone in a hydro store, and he showed me a little liquid PH testing kit from General Hydroponics. It was a small bottle of some sort of testing fluid, with colored bars on the label with different PH numbers on them. The kit also contained a small plastic cup. According to the directions, you put 3-5 drops of the testing liquid in this little cup, and add the liquid you want to PH test. And the color it changes to is the PH.

At only $8, is this liquid testing kit reliable and accurate, or is it a waste of time? I think a regular PH meter would be better but $100 is a lot to spend at the moment. Plus we aren't done buying the needed items to grow yet either.

Opinions are appreciated!

Check out Milwaukee PH 600 on Ebay. They cost about $25 bucks shipped. Works great for me.

Took about two days of calibration, but now it holds steady.

I ended up getting a Hanna Checker 1 PH meter for $41 at a local hydro store. I also got the 4.01 and 7.0 calibration solutions.

I let it soak in the 7.0 overnight as it was suggested to do in the instructions, tuned it for 7.0, and later that day, after thoroughly rinsing it out, I set it on the 4.01 solution. It was close right away, reading 4.02 before tuning.

It has 2 adjustable screws for setting the calibration.

I ended up getting a Hanna Checker 1 PH meter for $41 at a local hydro store. I also got the 4.01 and 7.0 calibration solutions.

I let it soak in the 7.0 overnight as it was suggested to do in the instructions, tuned it for 7.0, and later that day, after thoroughly rinsing it out, I set it on the 4.01 solution. It was close right away, reading 4.02 before tuning.

It has 2 adjustable screws for setting the calibration.

they also have a storage solution it should set in while you are not using it...

I bought a Oakton Waterproof pHTestr 1 about five years ago and store it in dilute pH 7 calibration solution and it's dead on all the time. No adjustment screws, it's automatic. It wasn't cheap tho. About $125 USD but I got it a a hydro store so I could of got it cheaper if I shopped around. This one replaced a Hanna that only lasted a year. A couple of drops of peroxide in the storage solution keeps nasties from messing up the tip too.

Those cheap pH kits work close enough for a clear sample but any discolouration from the nutes and soil will make it difficult to read the colour scale.

A meter is for sure the best way to go but you could probably get by with the kit. pH test strips are another inexpensive option.

I know it's been awhile, any opinions on the ace hardware meters? Ya, I only paid $20 for it but it's gotta be good for something? I at least measure my mixed water with it before watering. My plants are very healthy but maybe I should get a good accurate ph reading so my girls don't file for a divorce? :/ haha
KINDLE_CAMERA_1425420427000.jpg

I've used both Bluelab and Eutech pH2 testers. The bluelab unit is slightly better IMHO, backlit which is helpful in a dark reservoir. The Eutech has a better sealing cap for storage without the bulb drying out where as bluelab have a small sponge inside the cap.

I have a Hannah pH dosing unit, the quality is great but it was expensive. Not sure about their testers.

Cheap testers tend to be less reliable and give less accurate readings but are generally better than drops or test strips which aren't accurate enough for growing.

Awesome that's helpful because I kinda thought that strips were supposed to be pretty accurate. I'll probably just save for a good tester after harvest

Right now it's sitting between 5 & 6 which I think is good according to some of my research. I'd like some more input on parts per million if anyone measures that? I have a buddy who's religious about it.

That PH will be find for indica's but Sativa strains like a bit higher but you are in the range. if you want a specific "PH" for soil, or flood table or DWC, ect let me knnow

Step one if you want a good reliable efficient ph meter and or ppm/ec meter don't go to your price gouging local hydro stores shop online at places like amazon and ebay. I prefer milwakee brand meters as I have tested and used quite a few different types.

Thanks guys I really appreciate it! What are your guy's preferences for ppm?

Back
Top Bottom