Original source seeds from the 70's: Yes I have some

Under federal law you cannot legally ship MJ seeds across state lines. According to the Southern Oregon Seeds web site, they sell on a walk-in basis only at their two stores in Oregon. You cannot order from them. They also say clearly on their web site:

"We also reserve the right to refuse a sale to anyone we think might use them for cultivating cannabis in states/countries where it's illegal."

There are companies like Southern Oregon Seeds which distribute in the USA and maybe world wide.

:tokin:

Agreed about the modern strains. Many have similar genetics, like OG Kush x 'whatever'. Also what are sold as different strains are often just different cuts of the exact same strain, like Chem Dog/Dawg and NYC Diesel.

As for sunlight, take any light meter and look at the fall off in intensity with the distance from any light bulbs or LEDs. Its dramatic. Then test the sunlight at any height off the ground, and it is the same intensity. Simple physics: light falls off at the square of the distance from any light source.

I cannot agree with this statement enough, we use to start plants indoors in Florida then move them outside just for this reason. I miss the old Colombian Gold, as well as others from that era and would love to have some to grow and further preserve the originals. Personally I am not so sure the "super strains" are any better than the old ones, perhaps the high was much more pure than today's hybrids. I wish you great success and hope your genetics will make their way into the public, so that one day we can grow some out ourselves.

My landrace/heirloom MJ seed catalog (cont.):

Seed pack #30
Primo A+
Big Sur local weed
October, 1981
$150 per oz.
More green tops with red hairs. Good high. Note the increase in cost in late 1980 and onward for local weed. By then the lawyers were arriving with suitcases full of money from back east and buying up everything that they could find and paying premium prices. True sinsemillia, only a few seeds in one ounce. Test planted these in 1983 and they came out really well.

Seed pack #31
Primo A+
California early cross
??? per oz. (lost the price)
This was an early sativa-indica cross locally grown in coastal central California, but I am not sure where exactly. I listed it as having a great high. I only have a few seeds left of this strain. Mostly sinsemillia, the seeds are likely a self cross. They are really large seeds.

Seed pack #32
Primo A+++++
Pacific Valley local weed
January, 1980
$50 per 1/4 oz.
This was an African-indica grown in Pacific Valley, which is just south of Big Sur. Note the high price, but this was some damn strong stuff. Green buds, kick ass high. I got these seeds from my oldest brother. Test grown in 1983, and it produced some REALLY strong kick-ass weed in my greenhouse (better than the weed that it came from). Too strong for me at that time really. I traded it for some Carmel Valley grown sativa.

Seed pack #33
Primo A+++++++
Pacific Valley local weed
$??? I was given these seeds
This was a much later generation African-indica heirloom, also grown in Pacific Valley. This guy was developing more strains all from landrace strains from Africa and his own strains. Most of the seeds are immature, but I tested them in 2006 and they were viable and grew some super fat leaf short indica plants. Knock-out couch-lock weed.

Hey Big Sur ... I'm curious about something, and it occurs to me that you might have wondered, too ...

I have seeds from a Utopia Haze x Buddha Haze cross. Utopia is an IBL Brazilian sativa, and Buddha is Manga Rosa (Brazilian sativa) x SSH. The seeds are distinctively small - maybe half the diameter of a typical seed. They're dark and mature, and the plant I grew from them was strong and typical of the parents - hazey and fluffy like the Utopia. But neither parent had small seeds.

I did some browsing but I didn't find a lot about seed size. What does seed size tell you?

I have not figured out much about seed size. My smallest seeds are from a batch from Big Sur that are tiny and deep purple. Those are from a strain that supposedly came from Zacatecas, Mexico and first planted in Big Sur in the 1960s. The so-called Holy Weed. It grows into a really tall purple sativa with skinny leaves that blooms really late. I have grown it but not re-seeded it yet, so I cannot say what the seed size consistency will be. In general I have found that indica seeds and indica-sativa crosses tend to have larger seeds, and sativas tend to be the smallest.

Seed pack #34
Primo A+++
Central California local weed
$??? I was also given these seeds
This is an indica-sativa proprietary cross from the Monterey area, likely from Big Sur or Carmel Valley, or maybe the Prunedale or Santa Cruz. I have not tested them yet, nor did I smoke this weed. It is said to be stellar stuff though. I would list it as a California heirloom.

Seed pack #35
Primo A+++
Humboldt underground
1999-2002
$400/oz in the SF Bay Area
This is a proprietary indoor indica cross from a grower in the Humboldt Co. that has a large underground grow operation. This weed was selling for $400 an oz in the Silicon Valley and SF area around Y2k. I would list it as a California heirloom. I have grown it several years and it produces the largest and fattest leaves that I have ever seen on a Cannabis plant, measuring over a foot long and almost a foot wide. Has purple tops late in the season, bloomed outdoors in late August. Has a good high to it for an indica, not a couch lock sleepy weed, but one you can do stuff on. Good weed for sex; a former GF smoked a ton of this stuff. Very dense buds. One plant hermed on me and I got some more S1 seeds from that (should those be listed as another heirloom?).

Seed pack #36
Primo A+
Gilroy local weed
This is an sativa cross from the Gilroy area from the guy that grew it. It is was a really late blooming Colombian cross. It had a good high to it. I would list it as a California heirloom. Small seeds with black spots and stripes. Weed had gobs of gold and red hairs and tops were green with a gold tinge to them. Mostly sinsemillia, I suspect these were self crossed herm seeds, or maybe wind pollinated from a distant male? They were grown in a 240 acre tomato field in Gilroy which may have had other nearby grows.

Seed pack #37
Primo A+ Knock-out weed
Hollywood Hills local weed
This was an African strain that absolutely knocked me out cold after two hits. Narcotic. Grown in the Laurel Canyon area of LA. Asked for and got some seeds from the grower. No one cared that much about seeds then. This was the most paralyzing weed I have even smoked. I have not grown this yet; not sure if I would or could smoke it.

And now my last strain is here at last... well not really, I have some more recent seeds generated from my pollen last year that several medical growers here crossed with their own stuff. That was from some pollen from two males of the landrace and heirloom strains listed above that I grew last year. I also have some Lemon OG Kush seeds that I got in trade, and some other odd lot seeds that are not labeled. I also have 4 heirloom clone-only strains growing now under lights, including: OG Kush, GDP, Blue Dream, and White Widow.

Seed pack #38
Primo A-
South Oregon local weed
Southern Oregon strain from around the Merlin area in the Rogue River Valley. I got these from a woman that smoked several of my home grown buds in South Oregon. She complained about the "Mexican" taste of my sativa strain buds, and the lack of a more potent indica stony high. Well, old school landrace lighter high sativa strains are just not for everybody, are they? Some day maybe I will find out what she likes better. Or not.

Sadly I do not have seeds from a half pound of Guerrero weed that I bought in 1975. That was the BEST Mexican weed that I ever smoked. Strong stuff for a Mexican landrace. But that was before I saved seeds. That same year I got a lot go Ganja from south India, but that was gooey and completely seedless. Hashish never came with seeds, sadly. I also did not save seeds before 1976 so I tossed out the seeds and lost strains that I could have saved, like Panama Red, Acapulco Gold, Michoacan, other Oaxacan and Guerreran, lots of Thai, Cambodian Red, and Laos/VietNam. I am still looking for landrace un-crossed seeds from the Bekaa Valley in Lebanon. Also after the Paraquat fiasco I got quite a lot of sinsemillia from Mexico that was really good and unfortunately it was completely seedless. I did get some near seedless weed from there in those years though, from which I have the seeds listed above. I also could not get or save any seeds from the gobs of local NorCal grown sinsemillia after 1978 or so that was primo. No seeds in many of those bags but when I found them I labeled and froze them. I also asked people for seeds and got some of them that way. No one cared about seeds in those days. They had no value at all. Now? JHC... seeds are a complete rip-off!

im beginning to wonder, if all the crossing, hybriding, is resulting in inferior weeds. wouldent it be a dream, to find some seeds, stuck in amber, like, jurassic park moiskettos? lmao. they should make a movie. "the strain"! lol

I don't think the new hybrids are inferior. Potency, terpenes, vigor - everything is improved over landrace strains. The issue for me is that the foundational strains are disappearing. Many of them have been "improved" out of existence. :straightface:

I think of it like color or scent or taste. If you mix blue and yellow, and then you run out of blue ... :hmmmm: ... you're gonna have every shade of green you could ever want, but ... no more pure blue. Sometimes you need pure blue to make a color you want.

There used to be millions of landrace stands of cannabis all over the world. But now, most of them have been polluted by foreign pollen. Most of the seedhouse strains are a vast improvement over any landrace, but the building blocks of those same strains are being lost. One of the fascinating things about the Phylos Galaxy DNA project is how some cannabis genetics seem to be very unrelated to each other. Grand Daddy Purple, for instance, and Chem Dog, appear to have no shared ancestors with the majority of the other strains. :hmmmm: These are the sorts of valuable landrace lines that we have yet to discover and preserve.

I don't think the new hybrids are inferior. Potency, terpenes, vigor - everything is improved over landrace strains. The issue for me is that the foundational strains are disappearing. Many of them have been "improved" out of existence. :straightface:

I think of it like color or scent or taste. If you mix blue and yellow, and then you run out of blue ... :hmmmm: ... you're gonna have every shade of green you could ever want, but ... no more pure blue. Sometimes you need pure blue to make a color you want.

There used to be millions of landrace stands of cannabis all over the world. But now, most of them have been polluted by foreign pollen. Most of the seedhouse strains are a vast improvement over any landrace, but the building blocks of those same strains are being lost. One of the fascinating things about the Phylos Galaxy DNA project is how some cannabis genetics seem to be very unrelated to each other. Grand Daddy Purple, for instance, and Chem Dog, appear to have no shared ancestors with the majority of the other strains. :hmmmm: These are the sorts of valuable landrace lines that we have yet to discover and preserve.

I certainly agree that every grower should do what they can to preserve landrace genetics, but also many hybrids are discontinued and bred out of existance.
Though I suppose landrace cannabis(or any plant) strains are somewhat hybrids of their own having inter-bred for millions of years, and seeds being naturally spred over the globe again and again.

We need a cannabis department in the Svalbard Global Seed Vault ;)

I have grown a lot of landraces, and many of them still kick ass compared to some of the hybrids. Not all hybrids are better. The paradigm is definitely toward a preference for hybrids though, as a result of growers/breeders in California and later in Holland pushing the Amsterdam market (and the global seed market). This has resulted in the current preference for hybrids, and them making more money (I mean, 5 bucks and up for one seed?). However, as mentioned above, hybrids, have come under the same pressure as landraces. There are clone-only strains that cannot be reproduced from seeds, even though seeds are often times sold as such. As seeded strains, they are losing their oomph, so to speak. We are also losing strains. California Orange is said to be near extinction, and Dog Bud is believed to be now extinct (the parent to Chem Dog/Dawg). Who knows how many early Haze strains are now extinct. Most of them are.

The history of marijuana is long and colorful. There are landrace strains from Thailand and India that are the same as they were 100 years ago. As is? They simply kick ass. In some areas of Asia the landraces go back a 1000 years or more, and are still available today. But... some are not. New Spain and Mexico evolved marijuana in a completely different way. Or maybe in a similar way as indica evolved south of the Himalaya Mountains over 5 millennia ago. At any rate, we get the modern word marijuana to describe psychoactive Cannabis from Mexico, but no one knows where or when the word was created. Like the landrace strains there, they evolved in an undocumented and highly illiterate world. We know that the Spanish brought hemp to New Spain in the early 1500s. Then? Virtually nothing is recorded until it is mentioned in 1770s, as a plant used by locals in infused teas as a medicinal and recreational potion. So over the course of nearly 300 years, the indigenous peoples of New Spain and later Mexico cultivated low potency hemp into high potency marijuana. By the late 1800s it was being smoked, mostly by the peasants, in the barracks of the Mexican Army, and by prisoners. By 1910 it was made more famous by Pancho Villa during the Mexican Revolution. At that time a lot of Mexicans fled Mexico and moved into what was earlier Mexico (Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California). They brought the weed and seeds with them. Then the tide turned on marijuana, the press became very negative, the stigma was attached that it led to violence by users who were mostly black and Hispanic. So it was outlawed first in California in 1913. That was followed up by prohibition in Mexico in 1920, and then by the Feds in the US in 1937. And it went into decline, but remained a popular drug in some areas until the marijuana boom in the 1960s when it flourished again.

But what the Mexican peasants and locals did was take non-psychoactive grade hemp and created a high grade psychoactive marijuana. How that happened we will find out as more DNA analysis is done on Mexican strains. Also the notion that Mexican landraces are impotent and low grade is a myth. Certainly I have smoked low grade Mexican bunk. But I have also smoked some of the best weed of my life from Mexico. Particularly a half pound of tops that I bought in 1975 from Guerrero. THAT was kick-ass weed. No cross required. It was up there with Ganja from India. Ganja of course was another kick-ass weed that did not need any modern crossing. Nor does Lebanese weed need anything more. Red Lebanese hashish from the Bekaa Valley is the best I have had, bar none. Well, except maybe a few grams of Kona Gold hashish that I got from Hawaii in 1977. That was also good hash. But Kona Gold is just a Colombian Gold landrace, grown in Hawaii. As is/was Maui Waui, which is a Thai landrace grown in Hawaii. And of course there is/was Thai weed. I do not see any need for improving that. It has been done, but there is really no need. Landrace Thai simply kicks ass. And Cambodian Red. And Panama Red. And Colombian wacky weed. And African. And Santa Marta. And... and... and...

Sadly many of the Mexican landrace strains were wiped out by the Paraquat fiasco starting in 1975 by the evil emperor, Richard Nixon. He went against his own cabinet's advice and used left over chemicals from the Viet Nam war to sterilize the marijuana farms in Mexico, and as a result poison the users in the US like me that smoked weed. He simply did not care if he killed off all the hippies. Now, that is my interpretation having been there at that time, and having traveled a lot in Mexico in the late 1970s. Many breeders in Amsterdam seem to be of the opinion that crossing with auto-flowering and indica strains wiped out the landrace strains in Mexico, but I am of the opinion that those new strains just finished off what Nixon started. Some claim that many landrace strains are still grown in the regions of southwest Mexico (Oaxaca, Michoacan and Guerrero), but I do not have a lot of evidence of that.

At any rate do not be fooled into thinking that there are not landrace stains that can compare to modern cross bred strains. Yes, the THC content has increased in many modern strains, but is it all about high THC? No. Also the older landrace strains were all seeded, and so they were considered inferior in potency, when in fact early Mexican landraces grown in NorCal were massively higher in potency when grown as sinsemillia and not seeded. It is also about a whole array of terpenes and cannabinols that are so complex that we do not know what all of them are yet, and what they actually do or how they are involved in human metabolism. So quality is a factor here, and one that will evolve further. While we can get BubbleGum and Grape flavors now, there is a deep well to tap in the terpene genetics of marijuana, and they come from landraces. It is the same with CBD, THCa-z, and a huge array of cannabinols. Also wind pollination and GMO is likely to come into play, if it has not done so already. I believe that there is already Roundup Ready hemp seed developed. Hemp is Cannabis, and it will pollinate Marijuana females if left exposed. I read that is already a problem in South Colorado; field grown hemp males pollinate female MJ grows and thus they are not sinsemillia any more. GMO can also greatly impact what results in marijuana plants of the future, as pharma and tobacco companies move into California after 5 years (if prop 64 passes) and grow on a scale unheard of before in human history with qualities that we have never dreamed of.

But, there are also the original landrace strains out there to be had. Those skinny little Thai sticks in the 1970s had a very potent and good high, and they were seeded! I have yet to find a better all around high than Red Lebanese hashish. I have yet to find a bigger stone than Ganja. Or a more narcotic high than landrace African. Certainly modern crosses have their place. But, I find many to be disappointing. I do not like the cluttered stony high of OG Kush or its harsh smoke. I do not like the rushy effects of Cinex. I also do not like the onslaught of TrainWreak or Terminator. I do not want weed that knocks me out, or is that potent. I want a lift, a cerebral experience, and something that makes me happy. At times I also want something to help me sleep, or reduce my pain. So I grow an array of heirloom and landrace weed, and so I always have a variety of weed in my cabinet. Do I want a landrace sativa cerebral high now? Or do I want a cool grape flavored even high with some pain reduction in GDP? Or how about both at once? Ooh la la!

As my ex-SIL says, "Its all good!"

Back
Top Bottom