Osmocote Plus Plant Food: Discuss Its Use With Cannabis Here!

Thinking ahead, do you see any problem using OC+ in 16oz hempys? Young seedlings should be fine with a small dosage, don't you think? This time around I used GH nutes until I transplanted.

That might also serve as a "reserve" after transplanting into a larger hempy, until the roots hit the bottom. Thoughts?

Hi Hermit,
I started feeding my babies while they were still in 16oz mini buckets and they are doing wonderfully :) Little bit at a time, just make sure your water is good and watch them babies go ! :morenutes:

Hi Hermit,
I started feeding my babies while they were still in 16oz mini buckets and they are doing wonderfully :) Little bit at a time, just make sure your water is good and watch them babies go ! :morenutes:

I put about a teaspoon of OC+ in our mini-hempy 16oz cups, and the results have been outstanding so far - a noticeable increase in growth and plant health compared to whatever my buddy was doing - I had mixed GH dry for him, but I think he was watering with plain water instead of mixing more. OC+ truly makes it idiot proof.

Well guys, DOC after reading your whole un-lucky thread. I went to home depot yesterday and purchased that massive thing of osmocote +.

Got home last night, and transplanted one of my Pineapple Express clones into a perlite/coco hempy bucket with the Osmocote +. I plan on trying to finish the plant with just that as a nute.

The one question I have, and it doesnt' really say on the container, is HOW MUCH Osmocote + would you add to say..... A gallon of medium?

I'm so excited to see what this does! It's my very first hempy bucket. Been growin soil and doing great with that since jan. But it's time to upgrade! I need bigger yields! :)

Here's a link for application rates:
https://osmocoteisbest.com/_docs/labels/standard/903206.pdf

Surface application for one gallon:
26 grams

Incorporation into the medium:
approx 28 grams

Per the link above:
1tsp=5 grams
1 tbsp=15grams

So, I'd use 2 tbsp's of OC plus in a gallon container.

WoW fuckin A thanks doc! You tha man! What would your thoughts be on using this as a nute, in 1/2 gal containers and going 12/12 from seed?... Would the container be large enough to grow the plant till harvest you think?

Thanks again DOC!

I think when vendors list volumes for pots they use dry, because that's what's going in them, but yeah, 7 x 7 x 9 = around 1.5 gal of soil.

Amazon: 7" x 7" Square White Pot, 9" Tall, (CASE of 50 /1.6 Gallons)

1667505223514.png

If you used 1/2 gallon pots, you'd have to water them *real* often.

If that 7" x 7" x 9" specification is inside measurement, that's 441 cubic inches - 1.9 US gallons.

This is sweet...I have used osmocote for many applications...how come we tend to overlook the obvious??

I asked this in SS's thread, but I can transfer to here. I see you guys have mentioned maybe coco, or promix being used with oc+, I love my promix BX, and don't plan on changing anytime soon. I am going to get my hands on that OC+ or something similar, by weds, I will have plants that need transplanting, and I will mix it in with my Promix, and call it good. Then we can have a better idea.

I am confused about the PPM or TA of the water. So I go buy a test kit for pools, I am looking at Total Alkalinity? Which should be 40PPM? Can someone clarify that...please.

This is rockin' guys! I can't wait to start my trials!

-Go

This is sweet...I have used osmocote for many applications...how come we tend to overlook the obvious??

I asked this in SS's thread, but I can transfer to here. I see you guys have mentioned maybe coco, or promix being used with oc+, I love my promix BX, and don't plan on changing anytime soon. I am going to get my hands on that OC+ or something similar, by weds, I will have plants that need transplanting, and I will mix it in with my Promix, and call it good. Then we can have a better idea.

I am confused about the PPM or TA of the water. So I go buy a test kit for pools, I am looking at Total Alkalinity? Which should be 40PPM? Can someone clarify that...please.

This is rockin' guys! I can't wait to start my trials!

-Go

OC+ would work bangin' well in Promix.
Coco....I'm not sure. Coco does some weird Ca/mg binding thing, I'm told....I just don't know if it would work or not.

TA is what gets us into trouble, especially if the pH is also high. Even though you add pH down to get it into range, the bicarbonates build up and raise the pH of the medium, in spite of the pH down in the irrigate. On top of that, you get way more P than you need from all the phosphoric acid.

On the other hand, if the TA is low, it matters little what the pH is, because the buffers in the soil or the nutes will easily move the water pH where it needs to be.

TA of 40 is great. Under 80 is fine....but when it gets up that high there is no need for cal/mag.....certainly no need for Ca.

Do I have as much to worry about with PH if using promix and OC+ ? I can't imagine it would be too much of an issue unless, as I think you are saying my water is way whacked to begin with?

Thanks for clearing it up, and thanks for the input.

I am excited!! Simplicity is my middle name...

-Go

Do I have as much to worry about with PH if using promix and OC+ ? I can't imagine it would be too much of an issue unless, as I think you are saying my water is way whacked to begin with?

Thanks for clearing it up, and thanks for the input.

I am excited!! Simplicity is my middle name...

-Go

- Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss
(75-85 % / vol.)
- Perlite – horticultural grade
- Vermiculite
- Dolomitic & Calcitic Limestone
(pH adjuster)
- Macronutrients
- Micronutrients
- Wetting Agent

So, Promix Bx has peat.....which tends to adjust pH downward, AND it has dolomite and calcitic lime, which tends to adjust pH upward....to about 6.5 or so.

In otherwords, this soil is a powerful buffer. As long as your water isn't totally obtuse, you shouldn't need to adjust anything.

Test your TA, if it's too high, dilute with RO, retest until you find the right ratio, and then just water the plants. Adjusting pH in soil is usually the department of redundancy department....the soil adjusts pH.

This is good soil, bro.

OC+ would work bangin' well in Promix.
Coco....I'm not sure. Coco does some weird Ca/mg binding thing, I'm told....I just don't know if it would work or not.

I was over at the site where the alleged real Hempy hangs out, and he has gone to using coir. Is that the same as coco? There's also a pretty pissed off debate going on there about the amount of runoff. Some say none, some say some, and some say 30%. I can't see that Hempy actually says anything about it, well, at least that I can understand :) But he did mention that he has gotten something like 24oz off a single bucket :lot-o-toke:

TA is what gets us into trouble, especially if the pH is also high. Even though you add pH down to get it into range, the bicarbonates build up and raise the pH of the medium, in spite of the pH down in the irrigate. On top of that, you get way more P than you need from all the phosphoric acid.

On the other hand, if the TA is low, it matters little what the pH is, because the buffers in the soil or the nutes will easily move the water pH where it needs to be.

TA of 40 is great. Under 80 is fine....but when it gets up that high there is no need for cal/mag.....certainly no need for Ca.

:peace:

Thanks Doc! I love my promix! It is the most amazing stuff to work with, and I find it easier to deal with than perlite. I hate working with that shit straight. However, I am going to try out the hempy OC+ technique and see how I like it.

I was asking in the other thread what made osmocote plus different than regular osmocote? Is it a matter of the way the nutrients are released, or the type of nutrients within the product?

Sorry I am juggling these two threads, I need to get my discussions in the right place. lol :lot-o-toke:

Doc, you are a wealth of knowledge, I have read through your previous grows, so many hempy pages thanks to SS linking me to them. I simply cannot believe the wealth of knowledge that is around these threads.

Keep feeding me Seymour! !

-Green, Go-

Back
Top Bottom