Osmocote Plus Plant Food: Discuss Its Use With Cannabis Here!

vape's right. it was docbud that did that & 400ppm is the right #, but those prills don't start fully give up nutes for about a week. u might try letting them soak for a while in some warm water if u want a higher ppm. just a thought.

OC+ and Water PPM Report

IMG_088115.JPG

(.5 conversion)
1 oz RO w/CalMag @ 5ml per gal. - 260ppm

1/4 tsp OC+ - 317ppm

16 hrs - 1570ppm

Quite the jump, all I did was give a a little stir and let sit. Will check again tomorrow...

EDIT: After tomorrows test I will run again with just a few prills..

Nice work Jozo-Sha, what light are you using?

That was the wrap up of a GrowStealth GS300-ProBloom vs. a BrandX 300W. I'm currently just using the GS300 to finish up those two big plants (they're a week into the flip now), and will set up semi-perpetual grow with a pair of Advanced DS200's.

I'll probably get another little 2x2 tent for the GS300 and root clones/pop beans in there. :Namaste:

:bongrip: - JZ

I have been trying to keep sort of low key lately and refrain from posting a journal, but a few pages back I mentioned doing a OC+ vs organic grow.

The vege results were about the same. All plants were like text book plants.

Now 4 wks in to flowering, I will give a mid grow report.
Way to crowded in there, but we gotta deal with it the best we can.

using organics;

If I remember correctly, Promix, Fox Farm Tomato organic, gypsum, azomite, epsom, borax.

Water with Stump Tea, worm castings, molasses, SnowstormUltra, Dr Earth Bud n Bloom

Cream Carmel is a little paler green that the last grow of it using OC+, healthy, but not as vigorous growth, and the Green Poison is the same.

White Widow 3rd gen clones are a little darker, but still have a few yellowing leaves.

My own cross CQ2 (Cream Carmel x Querkle) is the healthiest of the organics. Dark green leaves and very little damage and the biggest of the organic plants.

Carmel Cream 4wks flwr (4wks veg)
Cream_Carmel_4wks_flwr.JPG

Cream_Carmel_bud_4wks_flwr.JPG

Green Poison 4 wks flwr (4wks veg) weak looking, the runt of the litter
Green_Poison_4_wks_flwr.JPG

Green_Poison_bud_4_wks_flwr.JPG

White Widow clones 4 wks flwr (7wks vege) scrog
WW3g_clone_4wks_flwr.JPG

WW3g_clone_bud_4wks_flwr.JPG

CQ2 4 wks flwr (8wks vege) the frostiest of the organics
Cream_Querkle_4wks_flwr.JPG

Cream_Querkle_bud_4wks_flwr.JPG

and this leaf was on the Cream Carmel. A few others were yellow or spotted, but this leaf was real bad
leaf_problem2.JPG

this is the result of bad timing and bad luck sprouting. using milk crates and assorted buckets to get even bud exposure.
the Critical+ (OC+) is hidden back left and the WW back right
the CC left CQ2 mid GP right
room_view_4_wks_flwr.JPG

room_4wks_flwr.JPG

Since the Critical+ is the only one with OC+ it deserves its own post.

Promix, OC+ (4tbsp), epsom, azomite, gyspum, borox,

watering the same as the organics, Stump Tea etc,

Critical+ 4wks flwr (10wks vege) as I said earlier bad timing this grow
Im sure the age has a lot to do with the size, but it is definitely the healthiest of the plants. No yellowing of any leaves since day one. she is a monster.

without flash
Critical_4_wks_flwr.JPG

with flash
Critical_4wks_flwr_w_flash.JPG

bud
Critical_bud_4wks_flwr.JPG

My last grow of Original Berry, AK47 and Diesel were grown the same way minus the Stump Tea and they turned out awesome.

If I don't get any noticeable taste and smell difference with the organics, it's back to OC+ and tea for me.

side bar.
So far the freebies I have received have been the most potent strains I have grown to date, yet a few never sprouted causing the delayed start this grow and the different vege ages.
1 Dutch Passion - White Widow - the best I have smoked this century
2 Dinafem - Diesel - close second
who will be third ??? or perhaps a new number one???
3 ??? Dinafem - Critical+ or Sweet Seeds Green Poison ???

Maybe our own CQ2 will top them all !!!

In all honesty, I cannot justify the costs, work or results that organics would give, over my current OC+/coir and Cal-Mag setup. Might add some SSU and Gravity at the finish from now on, but I'm pretty happy having OC+ as my base nutrient. Good enough for the tomatoes and chile peppers, good enough for my meds.

Critical_4wks_flwr_w_flash.JPG

If I don't get any noticeable taste and smell difference with the organics, it's back to OC+ and tea for me.

...and I think I can understand why! That's beauty bro! :adore: Did you enter her in the POTM contest? I don't think I saw her over there. It makes me wonder... Why the hell not? :rofl: She could win if you ask me. :thumb:

:Namaste:

Fine plants all HH. I think we try different grow methods to experience them. In the fall when I restart I will do a soiless wick system using OC+, epsom salts, Ironite and a tea of Maxicrop seaweed and molasses. I love just add water to a reservoir every two weeks or so!

Well I did buy a nice camera and I am still educating myself. Us old 35mm camera buffs are slow learners in digital. But I am planning on spending the summer in Washington state prospecting for aquarium rocks so I will have some camera play time done by fall. I will have to read the manual in an unaltered state first.

OC+ and Water PPM Report

IMG_088115.JPG

(.5 conversion)
1 oz RO w/CalMag @ 5ml per gal. - 260ppm

1/4 tsp OC+ - 317ppm

16 hrs - 1570ppm

Quite the jump, all I did was give a a little stir and let sit. Will check again tomorrow...

EDIT: After tomorrows test I will run again with just a few prills..

After checking 2 more consecutive days I found it continued to rise close to 1000ppm in 24 hrs each time. If I had a DWC or Waterfarm I do believe I'd give it a shot..

Seems using a shotglass of water would make your PPM readings a bit high to me.

The point here was to see if it released and did it continue. The numbers mean very little to me. I see significant enough of a release to consider further experiments is the end result to me.

DrRW and others interested is using OC+ with wicks.

I emailed Scotts about using it with wicks, and this is the reply I got back;

Thank you for your interest in Scotts and for the opportunity to help you with your lawn and garden endeavors.

Osmocote may be used in container plants including the wicking type; as long as you put the product in the soil, not in the water basin. The soil with the osmocote still absorbs water,so it can still pass through the prill no matter how the soil absorbs the moisture.

Osmocote is the Smart Plant Food - it works on the principle of osmosis, which is how the product gets its name. Osmocote prills absorb moisture from the soil, causing them to swell into plump capsules of liquefied plant food. The nutrients are then slowly released through the prill's special coating to the plant's root zone through osmosis. This constant supply of nutrients promotes more beautiful plants. And because the nutrients are encapsulated, they will not wash away - no matter how much it rains or how often your garden is watered.

When the soil is warm plants need more nutrients and Osmocote will release at a slightly faster rate. When the soil is colder, it releases more slowly, as fewer nutrients are needed for plant growth and development. When used as directed, Osmocote will provide a constant supply of nutrients to your plants for 4 months in soil with an average temperature of 70 degrees.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in Scotts. Please feel free to contact our company anytime we may be of assistance.

Consumer Response Representative
The Scotts Company and Subsidiaries

DrRW and others interested is using OC+ with wicks.

I emailed Scotts about using it with wicks, and this is the reply I got back;

Stuff - yeah you can use it for wicking media, as long as that's where the prills are.

Which is why they work so perfectly in my setup. And why I'll always use OC+ in my grows. KISS.

Back
Top Bottom