Osmocote Plus Plant Food: Discuss Its Use With Cannabis Here!

NEWS FLASH, NEWS FLASH
:woohoo: OC+ grown plant brings in Plant of the Month for May 2012 :party:

:high-five:

I got all excited that an OC+ grown plant took the title and entered a nug this month that was OC+ grown...Shhhhh! don't tell anyone! Maybe they'll vote for it! :rofl:

That plant was amazing Hash! I tried to rep you when I thought you came in second, but I have to spread some love first!

:Namaste:

I look at it as a big plus for anyone that wants to try OC+ or see what it can do.

I didn't like winning the way I did though. Others that voted for him might have voted for other plants besides mine and I may not have won.

I feel bad the guy did what he did.

I look at it as a big plus for anyone that wants to try OC+ or see what it can do.

I didn't like winning the way I did though. Others that voted for him might have voted for other plants besides mine and I may not have won.

I feel bad the guy did what he did.

I agree with the OC+! I don't even use it anymore...but I think it's great, and often recommend it!

We should all feel embarrassed for him...I can't imagine he needed some nutes, etc. that bad...and the title is worthless if you have to cheat to get it.

You shouldn't feel bad at all! Maybe you would have had more votes if he hadn't entered? The bottom line is that you're votes were earned...they were all from real people that wanted to vote for your plant! What someone else "might had done if" is completely irrelevant in my book. Your title well deserved, and from a worthy entry, as anyone with eyes can see! :thumb:

I didn't vote or keep up with the contest, but + reps for winning !!

Here's something I found, in Australia they have like 10 different Osmocote + products, including Organic.

Osmocote® Trace Element and Organic Fertilisers & Potting & Planting Mixes

Why isn't this available in the States???

I wrote Scotts and this is what I received back;

Greetings Scotts customer,

You recently lodged an enquiry. Our response is:

Hullo xxxxxxx,
You won't find this product in the USA because it has been specifically formulated here in Australia for Australuian Native Plants which are probably a small minority group in the US.
Australian plants have a low tolerance of Phosphorus (P) and this blend has a low P analysis of less then 2.
I don't know of any company likely to ship the product to the US.
Scotts Australia certainly would not.
I hope this helps,
Nxxx Wxxxxxx
Coordinator, Scotts Home Garden Advice Line

I know there is no real debate going on about OC+ compared to Dynamite Red, but I will post test results of my zucchini grow this year. I am not going to do daily updates. Maybe pics when they seem to stop growing and hopefully a comparison to zucchini size. Zuccs are tough in buckets. They need watered daily, sometime 2x.

I know it is not MJ related but I think the mods will allow a short comparison since it is in the OC+ thread.

both zucchini are in 4 gal buckets with organic soil from the local garden center, mineral mix. one has 4 tbsp OC+ the other has 4 tbsp DmRed.

Watered 2x so far with Bountea Superfood tabs.

I think I planted these May 31 but this pic is June 3
OC+ left - DmRed right
Zucchini_1_wk_060312.jpg

it was a close race at first and I actually thought the DmRed was winning in size. Here are pics from today so they are 2 weeks old and I see OC+ starting to take the lead in healthier green and a bit bigger.
OC+
zucchini_2OC_wks_061412.jpg

DmRed
zucchini_2Dn_wks_061412.jpg

Hash Hound said:
I know there is no real debate going on about OC+ compared to Dynamite Red, but I will post test results of my zucchini grow this year. I am not going to do daily updates. Maybe pics when they seem to stop growing and hopefully a comparison to zucchini size. Zuccs are tough in buckets. They need watered daily, sometime 2x.

I know it is not MJ related but I think the mods will allow a short comparison since it is in the OC+ thread.

both zucchini are in 4 gal buckets with organic soil from the local garden center, mineral mix. one has 4 tbsp OC+ the other has 4 tbsp DmRed.

Watered 2x so far with Bountea Superfood tabs.

I think I planted these May 31 but this pic is June 3
OC+ left - DmRed right

it was a close race at first and I actually thought the DmRed was winning in size. Here are pics from today so they are 2 weeks old and I see OC+ starting to take the lead in healthier green and a bit bigger.
OC+

DmRed

You kidding? Any dsta is GREAT data! I vote for you continuing to post progress. A former member reported DM+ performing better under higher grow space temps - brother, believe me, the more data cannabis growers can gather about real world CRF/TRF ferts, the better.

:bongrip: - JZ

Forwarding mankind through Zucchini! Outstanding! My experiments with DM red were inconclusive as to which CRF was better. I did a couple DM red all perlite Hempy's and they turned out well but so did the OC+ plants. I did add epsom salts and Ironite to both so this may have made it more difficult to see a difference.

well, maybe it is the heat affected them today which is only one day from the previous pics, but the OC+ is looking outstanding today as in the pic, yet the DmRed is looking a little more pale.

since it has been in the mid 80's the past few days, maybe the OC+ is osmosing out more ferts causing the greener appearance and the DmRed is letting them out at a slower rate.

Which ever the case may be, the OC+ looks way better today.

Well the weather is making it a tough grow. It has been in the high 80's to mid 90's almost 2 weeks and it is tough to keep up with the watering. They are wilting when I check on them. They are only in 4 gal buckets and have to be watered 2x a day.

I picked a nice mid size one today and am about to slice it up and toss it on the grill with the turkey burgers.

The peppers are doing a lot better. I grilled a sweet banana and a hot one yesterday. Very tasty. The hot one was almost habanero hot.

The tomato in Espoma wasn't doing so great, it looked healthy but just wasn't growing. So I top dressed with 2 tbsp OC+. A few days later it looked like a totally different plant. Lush green and much larger.

I am having the same problem with my plants though I have them in wick systems using 5 gallon buckets. The peppers are doing pretty good and I am seeing the last of the tomatoes get big. All my peppers are hotter than usual. They are in wilt in the late afternoon sun but look good in the morning and when the shade hits them. I put OC+ in the reservoirs a week ago and they look much better than they did. Going to be a long hot dry summer.

More on putting OC+ in the reservoirs of my outdoor peppers and tomatoes in wicked buckets. They look great especially the peppers which yielded (6 plants) plenty for a big batch of salsa we made and are putting on another round of peppers again already. The tomatoes are just about over as the heat is too much for the flowers. They still look fine though just no fruit. I also had a Coleus plant in one of my wick buckets and the better half conficated it and brought it inside. It has a lot of grasshopper damage but it is still one of the largest Coleus plants I have ever seen. I transplanted it into a non wick bucket using my standard OC+ soil mix and it is doing very well responding to the cooler inside temps by turning from purple to green and purple. If you want to test a nutrient or a soil Coleus plants thrive in anything that cannabis likes.

My only snivel about OC+ is it's generally trouble free work ethic, no need to fool around much just add water. Boring can be good I guess, no stress no excitement. Thats why I am testing out a Hi Brix soil soon, lots of unknowns.

well this OC+ Dynamite Red comparison has come to a premature end.

I honestly can not declare a winner since both plants are just about dead from the scorching heat/drought we have had this summer. It was to difficult to keep up with the watering manually, perhaps a drip system on a timer might have helped them survive, but I am not going to waste any more water on these plants and as you can see by the pics i'm sure you will agree. I had to water them twice a day during the heat spell and they still ended up drooping some days.

My friend takes most all of the used soil from our grows and tosses it in his garden. The soil for the most part has had OC+ and DMred in it and his plants almost look tropical. His zucchini plant is about 6 foot round and 3 or 4 ft high and a very very healthy looking green. And that is from supposedly used up soil and ferts.

As you can see the OC+ might be a bit more alive than the DmRed, but they are both basically toast.

I know they both grow good weed and I hope to one day do a better comparison test.

OC+
zucchini_OC.jpg

DmRed
zucchini_DmR.jpg

My plants are also getting hit by the sun but I have them sitting on the east side of a wall and of course direct sun goes away around 1 oclock. They are in 3 gallon buckets that have wicks dangling into 5 gallon buckets but I still have to fill the 5 gallon buckets every 2-3 days. I often pull my tomato plants by this time as they won't make fruit when it is like this but they still look OK, the peppers are still chugging along but I am going to pick all the peppers and put the plants on the mulch pile. A lot of years I pulled everything around July 4th and replant around Memorial day.

Back
Top Bottom