Outdoor: very warm and hot full sun or shady deck?

NorCAKnowYourGrow

I am having trouble getting my girls healthy and it was suggested the heat might be an issue. Most of the time in summer it’ll be mid 80s to mid 90s with a few days over 100° (8-10 all summer).

They get 10-12 hours direct sun now. When it’s warm they dry out about every other day. When it’s hot, daily. I think this is part of what got them looking sickly. Not enough nutes for the amount of water needed.

I am thinking of moving them to my deck where they’d get sun about 7 hours right now.

I’m thinking the trade for less sun and less heat might be better for a good harvest than more sun and more heat. I cannot shade these plants where they are now. They’re up to 6’6” tall.

Move them? I always thought that more sun is better but maybe in more moderate temps?

where they are now: all day sun
image.jpg

low N issue - this one gets 9 hours sun. They all have the same issues.

image.jpg

Do it! I only get 7 hours of direct sun as well. That's plenty l. They're still soaking up all the ambient light to. Mine seem ok although yours are bigger

I took the plunge. Moved the ones that were getting full sun for 11 hours and left two that get a few hours of midday shade from my neighbors 75’ tree.

It looks like you have a 3 or 5 gallon pot? Mine are bigger so that probably has something to do with the size - not just the sun. ;-). Mine are 7 or10 and one 15. :cool:

I took the plunge. Moved the ones that were getting full sun for 11 hours and left two that get a few hours of midday shade from my neighbors 75’ tree.

It looks like you have a 3 or 5 gallon pot? Mine are bigger so that probably has something to do with the size - not just the sun. ;-). Mine are 7 or10 and one 15. :cool:
Ya mine are only 5 gal buckets. My landlord only allows me 3 plants and have to be in buckets. I grew a frigging tree! Right in the ground and he was like WTF!!! hahahahahaha

Try packing in some mulch on the soil to reduce water loss. Pine straw, grass clippings, whatever it is pack in about 3". I did this with my greenhouse girls and it helped. Nice grow by the way.

Mine love sun more the better the only time leaves droop is when they are thirsty. I water twice daily due to sun and heat and wind will dry them out fast as well.
GoodLuck and Happy420!!

They need as much sun as possible, you appear to have 2 issues here, growing in pots with no mulch which will heat the roots up and the plants not being able to suck up enough water due to the size of the pots compared to plant size. I have grown outdoors in summer here , we routinely get around 110 to 115 f days in summer. The plants thrive in the ground and suffer or die in the pots. Same goes for fruit trees, its not the heat that kills them, its the heat on the roots that does it.

They need as much sun as possible, you appear to have 2 issues here, growing in pots with no mulch which will heat the roots up and the plants not being able to suck up enough water due to the size of the pots compared to plant size. I have grown outdoors in summer here , we routinely get around 110 to 115 f days in summer. The plants thrive in the ground and suffer or die in the pots. Same goes for fruit trees, its not the heat that kills them, its the heat on the roots that does it.

I grew last year in pots outdoors and had a really good harvest. nominal issues with heat. But I didn’t let the plants keep vegging as long as they wanted. The second I saw flowering activity I put them into a 12/12 cycle.

This year I increased the pot size of almost all of them with the intent of letting them get bigger and hopefully a bigger harvest. And they got huge. I rather wished I had kept them smaller. But here I am....

Back
Top Bottom