Overwatering again

harryhampster3rd

Hi guys,
Its harry from hampsters3rds crib.

I just gotta say about this about coco coir being impossible to overwater.

I believe if most growers, actually just watered when absolutely necessary.
Not just blindly water once a day or twice for coco coir. Its not hydro, with air stones,
for the oxygen in the water,.
completely different.
Seedling in a too big starter pot. easy to overwater.

I have four plants in coco coir and sand, they are growing so fast,
I have to increase the air cooled light hood, EVERY DAY.
Before, that because I used to overwater, halve the size..

Coco coir is a poor mans grow.
Its the outside of coconuts. Its still a great medium and good for learning soil and organic
grows.

Hydro shits on coco coir, saves you time, money and produces potent buds.
Hydro is the supercharged growing of cannibas.
that is why commercial growers grow potent, healthy buds and in faster time windows.

Kind regards harry

Hi guys,
Its harry from hampsters3rds crib.

I just gotta say about this about coco coir being impossible to overwater.

I believe if most growers, actually just watered when absolutely necessary.
Not just blindly water once a day or twice for coco coir. Its not hydro, with air stones,
for the oxygen in the water,.
completely different.
Seedling in a too big starter pot. easy to overwater.

I have four plants in coco coir and sand, they are growing so fast,
I have to increase the air cooled light hood, EVERY DAY.
Before, that because I used to overwater, halve the size..

Its the outside of coconuts. Its still a great medium and good for learning soil and organic
grows.

Hydro shits on coco coir, saves you time, money and produces potent buds.
Hydro is the supercharged growing of cannibas.
that is why commercial growers grow potent, healthy buds and in faster time windows.

Kind regards harry
Im with you on speed of growth but I disagree on bud potency. Soil is the way forward for quality in my opinion.

Its not hydro, with air stones,
for the oxygen in the water

Well... coco coir is generally considered to be a hydroponic medium. Which is probably why many (most? all?) folks who use the stuff aim for a pH of around 5.8 instead of 6.5. Without aeration devices, and watered by hand... it's called hand-watered drain-to-waste passive hydroponics.

I'll agree that someone can over-water with most methods for growing. Especially if they choose to spike their own wheel...

I have four plants in coco coir and sand

The addition of sand would have been a great way to do that, lol. You're sort of trying to fill in the voids (in other words, air space) in your coco coir medium. I suppose someone could do basically the same thing by choosing to grow in perlite and then adding a lot of vermiculite to it. Not precisely the same thing, but...

Years ago, a lot of people would add sand to heavy clay soil. Even that has been proven to be somewhat less than a stellar idea. For best results, keep the sand in the sandbox.

Somewhat debatable. I mean... if you live on a beach somewhere, harvest your own coconuts, and try to grow without nutrients, then I... suppose? But if you have to buy a block of coco coir, hydrate it, rinse it, buy something like calcium nitrate to soak it in once or twice in order to replace the sodium (et cetera) ions with calcium, possibly adding magnesium to that at the same time... then you have to buy nutrients (coco-specific, by preference, I guess)...

Well, from a poor man's perspective, I'm not sure that your theory is entirely accurate.

My buddy did a poor man's grow several years ago - he planted some random "bag seeds" (because that's what he had) out behind his home, in the woods, after he had "prepped" the soil by mixing in a couple of five-gallon buckets' worth of sludge he had gotten from the local sewer plant ( :rolleyes: ) . He planted it near - but not at - the bottom of a valley so he could take advantage of runoff and the local water table. I think his total cost was...

...wait for it...

...nothing. Because he was poor.

Hydro shits on coco coir

You are confusing the method with the medium.

I would guess that their understanding of the basics might have something to do with it ;) .

Being able to treat costs as operating expenses (as that's what they are in this case) would tend to help, too. Every grow I do costs ME money - because I grow for myself and, with luck, some friends/family who could use cannabis but, like me, cannot afford to buy it. When a commercial grower grows cannabis, his/her customers pay for it. Ergo, the "commercial" designation.

Im with you on speed of growth but I disagree on bud potency. Soil is the way forward for quality in my opinion.

Have you experienced multiple strains in a side by side grow to have come to that conclusion? I'm interested in why you say that. So far I've done 2 soil grows and 1 hydro that I'm currently on. I can say without a doubt my buds are most definitely bigger/fatter in hydro. Can not attest to potency until its done haha.

Have you experienced multiple strains in a side by side grow to have come to that conclusion? I'm interested in why you say that. So far I've done 2 soil grows and 1 hydro that I'm currently on. I can say without a doubt my buds are most definitely bigger/fatter in hydro. Can not attest to potency until its done haha.
I was an apprentice to a commercial grower for many years. I was there when he did soil and i was there when he switched to hydro. He grew for money so he stuck with hydro but the quality wasn't as good but he didnt care cos he was getting bearly a 3rd more weight. Im sure if you look through the forum aswell and compare pics of soil vs hydro grows you will notice more frost on soil plants.

Means little, as all you can try is what's offerered or grown, what's personally attainable.. but best I have smoked was hydro grown... Again, not smoking cup winning grown cuts in all forms of growing conditions... Ive read lots talk how Nevil grown stuff was next level (cups seem to agree with this line of thought,lol) and once he left Amsterdam quality dropped.. he grew hydroponically... lighting, correct air intake and movement, all contribute to a better finished product... correct timing of nutrients or water feedings or soil feedings, is what's needed for plant, no matter the source.. why I laugh (& guilty myself) of dissing a plant grown and harvested from seed. The grower had one chance of dialing in the requirements of the plant to get most out of it... Lol...

I was an apprentice to a commercial grower for many years. I was there when he did soil and i was there when he switched to hydro. He grew for money so he stuck with hydro but the quality wasn't as good but he didnt care cos he was getting bearly a 3rd more weight. Im sure if you look through the forum aswell and compare pics of soil vs hydro grows you will notice more frost on soil plants.
Now im looking forward to seeing my GG #4 finished product :D I have pics/journals from my last 2 soil grows and i had GG#4 in both. Now that ill have a GG#4 in soil vs hydro i can compare trichome production and see what we are dealing with. Given that i have not perfected soil nor hydro yet, its a somewhat uneven / even ground comparison haha

Means little, as all you can try is what's offerered or grown, what's personally attainable.. but best I have smoked was hydro grown... Again, not smoking cup winning grown cuts in all forms of growing conditions... Ive read lots talk how Nevil grown stuff was next level (cups seem to agree with this line of thought,lol) and once he left Amsterdam quality dropped.. he grew hydroponically... lighting, correct air intake and movement, all contribute to a better finished product... correct timing of nutrients or water feedings or soil feedings, is what's needed for plant, no matter the source.. why I laugh (& guilty myself) of dissing a plant grown and harvested from seed. The grower had one chance of dialing in the requirements of the plant to get most out of it... Lol...

Thats all very true, especially dialing in the environments and you can only do that by getting to know the clone you have. Cant do that with seeds as easily (in the sense that you can still factor in the strains known best environments)

I was an apprentice to a commercial grower for many years. I was there when he did soil and i was there when he switched to hydro. He grew for money so he stuck with hydro but the quality wasn't as good but he didnt care cos he was getting bearly a 3rd more weight.

Been my experience that people who care tend to grow better bud than those who don't.

Im sure if you look through the forum aswell and compare pics of soil vs hydro grows you will notice more frost on soil plants.

That's... I'm not even all that sure that Sol will still be running tomorrow, lol, so I'm not the best person to "say" this, but you must have a bigger pair than me, to be sure of that. But I suppose it's possible, since it's sort of a general statement that doesn't require any kind of direct comparison between soil- and hydroponics-grown bud, from clones of the same mother, by the same person, at the same time, under the same environmental conditions, when said person has attained a good skill level at both gardening methods.

Even consecutive grows are suspect, because there's at least the possibility that the person doing the gardening has learned a thing (or... two) from the previous grow experience(s) that makes for just one more variable. Or, alternatively, the person might have gotten complacent(/lazy) and isn't putting as much effort into things now as he/she did before. Et cetera.

There is very little scientific method, in general, when it comes to cannabis grows; there's not much in the way of a "control subject," and most comparisons I see... aren't, really. Even among the relatively few who do not consume their last harvest while producing this one ;) .

Been my experience that people who care tend to grow better bud than those who don't.

That's... I'm not even all that sure that Sol will still be running tomorrow, lol, so I'm not the best person to "say" this, but you must have a bigger pair than me, to be sure of that. But I suppose it's possible, since it's sort of a general statement that doesn't require any kind of direct comparison between soil- and hydroponics-grown bud, from clones of the same mother, by the same person, at the same time, under the same environmental conditions, when said person has attained a good skill level at both gardening methods.

Even consecutive grows are suspect, because there's at least the possibility that the person doing the gardening has learned a thing (or... two) from the previous grow experience(s) that makes for just one more variable. Or, alternatively, the person might have gotten complacent(/lazy) and isn't putting as much effort into things now as he/she did before. Et cetera.

There is very little scientific method, in general, when it comes to cannabis grows; there's not much in the way of a "control subject," and most comparisons I see... aren't, really. Even among the relatively few who do not consume their last harvest while producing this one ;) .
He grew the same strain using same clones and sources for about 15 years. Always cheese. He used to grow amazing cheese in soil, he switched to hydro and I personally think it has never been as good.
You may be right though by that point he may have just got complaicent in the end. It's just something I have observed. If I can be proven wrong then happy days.

I'm not saying that you're not correct. I don't believe it, but that's opinion, lol. It's just not really provable (one way OR the other) without actual scientific testing.

Its said a lot on this forum... Does not make it right though... A lot of that noise comes from the organic Mafia. That line of thinking can also make a person money, say if they were to sell a kit designed for soil, perpatrate a stronger better end product.a little cult following would help.. I'll have to dig and search for any evidence of this, on this site...

ROTFLMFAO.

And here I was, thinking I wouldn't laugh today. Thanks, man. :thumb:

I don't know that I'd look at it as being quite so... Hmm. Yeah, well, okay ;) .

Everyone knows that when they first start out growing cannabis (or anything, really), they don't know a whole lot, make "newbie mistakes," et cetera, and that, therefore, with a grow or three accomplished, they'll be able to grow generally better bud, that their improvement isn't all just due to using some new product/etc. Right? :rolleyes:

:rofl: I'm being facetious and some added jealousy

Hi guys, I have two ladies, kush and afghani gold.

Since, I have only been watering, every two to two and a half days. boy ,
those fuckers have, grown like healthy, strong, big buds forming, kick ass so far.

secret. only water coco, when it dries out one third, dry on top and still moisture in half way down, where the roots are.

You will see explosive growth.

Back
Top Bottom