Ph meter vs drops

LosSerpent

I'm thinking about switching from meter to drops so. I don't have to worry with calibration. Are drops. Accurate? Anything within 0.3-0.5ph should be accurate enough for me

This is not a scientific study, but more of anecdotal info. But I like the pen. I’ve tried the drops and the litmus paper and I didn’t feel the drops and litmus paper were accurate. Now I have a new Wiztech pen and it does measure accurately and also gives water temp. I suggest growers to consider this device.

This is not a scientific study, but more of anecdotal info. But I like the pen. I’ve tried the drops and the litmus paper and I didn’t feel the drops and litmus paper were accurate. Now I have a new Wiztech pen and it does measure accurately and also gives water temp. I suggest growers to consider this device.
The papers are very inaccurate, however I heard lots of good stuff about drops. Why did you not like them? How did you determine they are not accurate.?

To be honest, I only tried them a couple of times. It was difficult for me to determine the exact shade I was getting. It was a cheap kit. And the Wiztech is easy to calibrate.

Using the drops can give you a full point or more of fluctuation, enough to F@@k your plants up. Fine for 20,000 gallon pools- They just aren’t accurate enough for watering.
I have a cheap ass meter and calibrate it once a year or so, it takes 2 minutes.

If you just don’t feel like putting in that effort, figure out what it takes to pH your tap water perfectly ONE time. Then just do that ever time.
Example- my tap water takes 7 drops of pH down to put it in the pH range I want. So I just add the 7 drops and go. No need to pH every time, I just check it once a month or so with the meter to make sure it’s not way off. Seems to work so far.
If you already have a meter it seems kind of silly to drop accuracy down to a pool test kit. The plant deserves better.

Using the drops can give you a full point or more of fluctuation, enough to F@@k your plants up. Fine for 20,000 gallon pools- They just aren’t accurate enough for watering.
I have a cheap ass meter and calibrate it once a year or so, it takes 2 minutes.

If you just don’t feel like putting in that effort, figure out what it takes to pH your tap water perfectly ONE time. Then just do that ever time.
Example- my tap water takes 7 drops of pH down to put it in the pH range I want. So I just add the 7 drops and go. No need to pH every time, I just check it once a month or so with the meter to make sure it’s not way off. Seems to work so far.
If you already have a meter it seems kind of silly to drop accuracy down to a pool test kit. The plant deserves better.
tap water ph changes tho. What meter do you have that only needs to be calibrated 9nce per year

tap water ph changes tho. What meter do you have that only needs to be calibrated 9nce per year
My tap water has changed about (0.1) pH in the last 18 months. Maybe I’m lucky that way. If I only use my meter 12 or so times per year it doesn’t really need to be calibrated very often. It’s a cheap ass blue one that everyone has probably owned at some point. No problems so far.
Use drops and you’ll have problems.

It might be different with the drops used for aquariums. If the pH is off with those then the fish could stop growing, become seriously ill or just die. If the case of fish tanks of 10 to 100 gallons being off just a little bit could be a disaster. I have used those packages of pH drops for years but never compared them up against swimming pool test kits.

Our suburb is on the City of Detroit Water system and I noticed very little fluctuation over the years. Testing rain water I do notice some changes.

Hhhmmm, next time I go out fishing on the big lake (Lake St. Clair) I should get a sample of the lake water and test that just for the heck of it.

I hadn’t even considered those smaller kits, I was just thinking last time I did a hot tub or a pool lol

I think using Megacrop helps with any small fluctuations I might have, and I’m just not worried most days. The plant usually tells me if something is off.
People should do whatever they (and their plants) are comfortable with.

My tap water has changed about (0.1) pH in the last 18 months. Maybe I’m lucky that way. If I only use my meter 12 or so times per year it doesn’t really need to be calibrated very often. It’s a cheap ass blue one that everyone has probably owned at some point. No problems so far.
Use drops and you’ll have problems.
How much do you pay for the calibration solution? Thinking about buying it online it's kinda expensive in grow shops

How much do you pay for the calibration solution? Thinking about buying it online it's kinda expensive in grow shops
I think I paid $7 for a 10 pack (powder) a few years ago. I just need distilled water to use them. Generally when I get around to calibrating the meter, it’s not very far off anyway.

it completely depends on what you are growing in. anything hydro or passive will require a meter, and if you grow a lot you will go thru a lot of 'cheapos', like i did

ph is critical in hydro,, in soil, not as much if at all

I've never used the paper strips........I only use GH drops. I bought the 8 oz. refill for about $12 and it's lasted years.

No calibration required.
No calibration solutions.
Cheap.
Never wrong.
What would you say their accuracy is? Is it at least within 0.5?

Back
Top Bottom