Philthegeek, 2019 Grow

"Temps inside is a bit on the high. +25 Celcius is a good high range. "

Yup, but high ambient temp just something i have to live with given the weather this time of year. :(

No air con in the shed.

"Going to quadline these ones eh?"

Am going to try. I have done the topping and LST thing before. Problem with that was that in previous grows i have gone for more, smaller plants in that space.

This time am going to step back a bit and not top them quite as early as i have been, let em get a bit taller and develop a better root system and establish before i stress them in any way.

I figure going 1 plant / pot will also give me a room to do a proper LST / quadlining without it getting too fiddly.

Am going to go back and review you quadlining thread though. :)

At the moment, well happy with their development, but its only Day 14 so far.

Just had a read of the first few pages of yours Ase.....nice plants. I'm growing a WW crossed with a local hemp. Local breeder trying to get a lower THC / CBN ratio. Smokes and makes tinctures just fine for me though.

Definitely not going to give me massive white frosty heads like some varieties, but grows so far have been quite low and bushy. They also have a tendency to go hermie but that has made it easy to build a stock of female seeds so i am confident i'm not wasting time on males...reasonably confident enough to go for only 4 plants this time. Fingers crossed. :)

Living where i do i have no capacity to get seed from OS online. Just not a risk i'll take with our quarantine and customs.

Reading your method the most useful thing i've picked on so far is letting them go longer before topping and get the branches from the 3rd and 4th nodes. Also, i will let them grow out enough so when i chop above the 4th node its a clean topping, not a fimming. :)

Question? How often do you apply the "Great White"?? I'm trying that for the first time and so far all they got was a smear of the powder on the bottom of the jiffy pot when i planted it.

Reading your method the most useful thing i've picked on so far is letting them go longer before topping and get the branches from the 3rd and 4th nodes. Also, i will let them grow out enough so when i chop above the 4th node its a clean topping, not a fimming. :)

Question? How often do you apply the "Great White"?? I'm trying that for the first time and so far all they got was a smear of the powder on the bottom of the jiffy pot when i planted it.

I usually only do 1 transplant but I use it twice. The first time I use it I put a small pinch of it in the hole that I put my seed into once the seed has popped and the little white taproot has come out. The second time I use it is when I put it into it's final home. I only go from starting pot to final pot with none in between. When I do it this time I fill my final pots up with coco and then I take an empty starting pot container and make my hole where the plant is going to sit in. At this point you can sprinkle some in the hole (also getting the sides of the hole) or you can take the plant out of it's starting pot and sprinkle it right on the roots as you spin it and then set it in the hole. Either way works fine so do whatever you are comfortable with. A little goes a long way with that stuff and it's spendy! I do think it really helps the plants transition and not slow down much.

I do use Rapidstart as a liquid rooting enhancer in every other feeding from seedling to the 12/12 flip. It's less expensive and works really well. I even give little bits in flower sometimes just to keep the roots happy.

Ta for that. This grow i had some strange issues with germination having used the "Great White".

To try and avoid ANY transplanting stress i took 16 seeds, dusted them in "Great White" and popped them straight into jiffy pots. Out of that batch, only had 1 germinate. Big Fail. :(

So..did another germination with a straight seeds in wet paper towel method. Let the roots get to 15-20mm long and then popped them into jiffy pots. Same batch of seeds and got around 75% germination (over about 20 seeds)?? And, germination was quite rapid.

Not sure what happened here. Used straight tap water both times.

Rapidstart is something i may use in the future but a bit skint $ wise at the moment. One thing i did get hold of is some Fulvic concentrate which i'm planning to add to the mix when the babies are older and can take some top down feeding with weak nutes. My mix for that is 1/4 to 1/2 strength Thrive, some seaweed extract, Neem, and this time some Fulvic. 250ml every week or 10 days top down onto the soil.

Dont want to jinx things but have to say the 4 i have in are looking better than previous grows at this stage. Previous grows the very first true leaves have by this stage often shown distortions / crinkling and a little discoloration. Not been a prob as they grow through it. Because of my temp issues I now have the light dimmed to lower W and a bit further from the plants and that seems to be working better at this point.

"The seeds when in wet paper towels or cotton pads sprout better if they are warm.
(on top of fridge, router etc) "

Ta for that Ab...but where i live, keeping things warm not much of an issue at the moment. We are up for low 30 c and then 3-4 days 38C later in the week. Good beach weather for after work though. :)

And the two germination runs i did, one that worked and one that failed miserably were both pretty much same temp conditions. :( Difference was the failed run had the seeds dusted in Great White and straight into a jiffy pot, while the good run had the seeds in a wet paper towel (just my normal tapwater) with nothing else. Seeds all derived from the same grow last year.

"The seeds when in wet paper towels or cotton pads sprout better if they are warm.
(on top of fridge, router etc) "

Ta for that Ab...but where i live, keeping things warm not much of an issue at the moment. We are up for low 30 c and then 3-4 days 38C later in the week. Good beach weather for after work though. :)

And the two germination runs i did, one that worked and one that failed miserably were both pretty much same temp conditions. :( Difference was the failed run had the seeds dusted in Great White and straight into a jiffy pot, while the good run had the seeds in a wet paper towel (just my normal tapwater) with nothing else. Seeds all derived from the same grow last year.

Best method for germination is simple. Get some paper towels and get them wet in plain warm water. Squeeze them out so they are just damp. Put the seeds in between two of the paper towels and then slide that into a plastic bag. Wrap the plastic bag in a towel and set on top of a DVR or computer or something like the Birdman just said. Wait until a white taproot comes out to about 1/4-1/2" and plant in damp (not wet) medium. Easy as that.

My bad! Apologies. I usually am pretty good in not making assumptions like that as I have quite a few females that I interact with on my own thread but for some reason I guess I never knew! Could have just looked at the profile picture! Lol...

Day 17:

All chugging along nicely. Have stopped top down watering as the pots are staying nicely damp and seedlings seem to be doing well.

Getting close to having 4 proper nodes available for topping and starting the quadlining process.

Number 1 key is don't be in a rush at this point. Just let them grow and be patient until you know they are ready to start getting topped and trained.

"Just let them grow and be patient until you know they are ready to start getting topped and trained. "

Trying hard not to interfere !! :)

Will post photos in a couple of days. 2-3 days as having looked today, they will have grown past node 4 so i can do a nice topping leaving only node 3 and 4 intact. :)

And no worries Ase :hug:
My bad! Apologies. I usually am pretty good in not making assumptions like that as I have quite a few females that I interact with on my own thread but for some reason I guess I never knew! Could have just looked at the profile picture! Lol...

Number 1 key is don't be in a rush at this point. Just let them grow and be patient until you know they are ready to start getting topped and trained.
I agree with him on the above.. Just be patient :)

Phil... When you want to quote.. Press the
+quote at the bottom right of post that you want to use.
Hit insert quote and just erase the things you don't want. ;)

Day 20 since seeds put in for germination. :)

All good. Seedlings healthy and stems starting to thicken up.

Was waiting to do this....but after inspection today could see substantial laterals developing from node 1. More than just buds, actual leaves sprouting under there. Plants nice and healthy so reckon they are ready and able to stand a trim. Get their growth into the branches i want to go on with. :)

So...now topped and trimmed. Cotyledons, nodes 1 and 2 removed. Nodes 3 and 4 intact. Topped to remove node 5 and can see nice, definitive cut off stem there so know i haven't fimmed it.

Before and after photos:

So, off to the races for training / quad-lining. :)

Haven't added anything in the way of nutes as yet. Think will mix up a weak top down liquid feed in a couple of days.

Seeyahs!

Back
Top Bottom