Picking your brain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spitz

I'm looking to outfit a 4x4 with LED. I'm thinking 1 XML 650. I appreciate your thoughts and/or preference. I've done a lot of research. I'm very interested in the white light on the xml but not yet convinced. Sadly, it may actually come down to a coin flip. Let me know what you think. -Rgds

re: Picking your brain

I got a 4x4 tent with a Mars Hydro 1200, it does very well.
I have been looking at replacing it with a Diamond DS800.
Not the answer your looking for, but another good option

Thanks King... Mars was a consideration for sure. My feelings are the 3w have advantage over the 5w diodes. No doubt the Mars lights have produced for many. The Sun series intrigues me but I haven't read too many COB journals. I've got a couple weeks to figure it out. I still suspect it will be a coin flip. Can you possibly elaborate on why you are making a change?? -Rgds

Are you an engineer? If so, you should easily be able to build yourself a light, no? COBS are the way to go. They are getting more efficient, and producing more light every time there is a revision. When was the last time you heard of Platinum or Advanced going to some new tech? ALED changes their diodes, but they are still garbage. PLED is still running the same trash they have for over a year and the whole "11-band" spectrum is just marketing.

Id highly suggest you read up on building your own. Its cheaper and produces excellent results. I have 400w of Cree CXB3070 going @ 42% efficiency and so far, it seems to be keeping up with my 1000w HPS setup (final results will tell the story of course). I had a Platinum P450 and it could not touch the HPS, even on a small 2x2 area.

For the price of an Advanced XML650, you could get the same wattage for about 2/3 the price and itll be a better light if you build it yourself w/ COBS.

Appreciate the response iamcyclopseat. I've read your thread on the subject. It definitely provokes interest and consideration of constructing my own. As of today, I'm a "hobbyist" and haven't began pushing gram/watt limits. I'm sure that day will come. I suspect the evolution will consist of poor yield, failed lamp, home repair, disassembly, ... , construction of my own. For now, it's going to be a "questionably marketed commercial" unit. I am interested in your results (definitely from a qualitative standpoint). I have appreciation for persons that put it upon themselves to push the limits. Sounds like you may have a business opportunity. Good Luck! -Rgds

It has nothing to do with GPW though. It has to do with efficiency more than anything and cost. I can build a 200w LED for $325-$350 (depending upon a few things) and prices are going down. That 200w LED will blow away ANYTHING MARSHYDRO has in that price range. I can build a 400w light which will be 32w more than LED offering and it will provide better lighting due to not nearly as much wasted light with all those special colors that are not needed.

COBS are the future, far more advanced than single diodes. If you really want to purchase a light, look into Optics LED as they utilize COBS. Also, Area51 will be coming out with a COB light next month I believe that will feature VERO and CXA/CXB COBS (just like what you are talking about, businesses are already in the works with these lamps). Lots of people are building these and you can find FAR more information than I can provide on other areas of the web. This site is all about MarsHYDRO and AdvancedLED. Seems people here believe that the "sponsors" are the end all.

Check out my grows in signature with two 260w real draw 3G lights. They are only $249 each. Too many people are turned off led because they are "too expensive" because for some reason they are only considering the overpriced brands. Mars are CHEAP and work. If they work almost as good for 1/3 the price that's fine with me ;-)
We are beating 1gpw with lights that cost less than 1 dollar per watt. See how the overpriced lights compare in Dpw and gpw and decide for yourself.

thanks for the tip O.G. I'm pretty much set on Advanced. If for no other reason than dealing with a U.S. salesperson (regardless where it's assembled). I'm not being ethnocentric, I just know my own limitations should I ever need to ship a panel off. I'm not interested in building my own yet. If I pay 50% markup for compensation, marketing, R&D, etc..., I figure it's a pretty good deal for me. It takes more than M&S to run a business. More reading I guess... If nothing else, only 45 more posts until I can PM!

" If for no other reason than dealing with a U.S. salesperson"
This the exact reason, plus limited life time warranty

I have two LEDs expected at my house next Monday... plants are vegging,, and may be under them in a few weeks.... then I'll let you know. I prefer American. Well see how they do and I'll let you know!! Good luck, best wishes!!

I have a 32"x32" tent and have an LED. I added a 240 bloom from g8 for some extra horsepower. The 450 would have done fine alone but, in my opinion, is on the lower end for a 3x3 yet still acceptable. I did have some bleached tops from the LED at about 9" away. Plan forward is veg in the 32 with the LED and flower in a 4x4 with the xml650. Good luck!

I was leaning that way MassMedMan too. When I called them I was told "new design, higher power, better spectrum, better drivers than my current model. They defaulted to "proprietary information" when I asked them for some documentation. Watts similar from the wall, price for 2x600s a couple hundred cheaper than a xml650. It really was a coin flip. We'll see and thanks for your $0.02.

I was leaning that way MassMedMan too. When I called them I was told "new design, higher power, better spectrum, better drivers than my current model. They defaulted to "proprietary information" when I asked them for some documentation. Watts similar from the wall, price for 2x600s a couple hundred cheaper than a xml650. It really was a coin flip. We'll see and thanks for your $0.02.

Just don't expect them quick,, they offer free shipping,,, Fred Flintstone free,,, like it'll be almost three weeks once I get them.... But I got free shipping

I got my XML650 about 2 months ago and I am loving it! Plants are doing much better than under the other led's I was using, or the HID before that (Same stain - clones).
I love the fact that they are made less than 4 hours away from me and all questions I had were answered.
It took some serious thinking before laying out the cash, but really glad I did... Now I need one more and my huge tent will be ready for anything I can throw in!

Great news Midnight! I have mine +\- 10 days from seed under the LED. Tent, fan, and filter just arrived. I might make the swap and move them over this weekend. Thanks again for the comment. You have no idea how you've put me at ease. It's comforting to hear a good review from someone with nothing to sell! You are right... They aren't cheap

I really like that you can adjust the intensity of the veg and flowering separately on them... with the usual pink/purple that you get off good leds, It is hard to see the true color/health of the plants. I can turn off the flowering boosts and be able to see the color much better and can take pics that look truer to color.

It has nothing to do with GPW though. It has to do with efficiency more than anything and cost. I can build a 200w LED for $325-$350 (depending upon a few things) and prices are going down. That 200w LED will blow away ANYTHING MARSHYDRO has in that price range. For that price, I can build a 400w light which will be 32w more than LED offering and it will provide better lighting due to not nearly as much wasted light with all those special colors that are not needed.

COBS are the future, far more advanced than single diodes. If you really want to purchase a light, look into Optics LED as they utilize COBS. Also, Area51 will be coming out with a COB light next month I believe that will feature VERO and CXA/CXB COBS (just like what you are talking about, businesses are already in the works with these lamps). Lots of people are building these and you can find FAR more information than I can provide on other areas of the web. This site is all about MarsHYDRO and AdvancedLED. Seems people here believe that the "sponsors" are the end all.

I have 3 Mars-Hydo lights that I have been very happy with. Are they as good as the more expensive units? I don't know. I only own the Mars. That being said, since I am only growing for myself and a friend who also has her medical card, they do great for me. The cost was a factor. You can look at my journals. I am producing HUGE amounts, no. Am I producing what I need at a cost that is MUCH less then it would cost to get from the dispensary? Absolutely!! I think there is a place in the market for all the manufacturers, whether they are selling to small time people like me or major commercial growers.

I have been very happy with my lights and would purchase them again. :peace:

2.5 weeks in and the xml 650 is rocking. The intensity dials for the white and colored LEDs really help with seedlings. Young plants are around 5 nodes. I hope it flowers like it grows! Light does produce some heat. Not hot to the touch at all but sure heats up an air tight tent. It looks like I'll get to flip the 12/12 switch at 4 weeks with good sized plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom